M1A2 SEP Main Battle Tank by King Derelict - FINISHED - Flyhawk 1/72

As a relief from intense PE activity on USS Wasp I am going to divert from time to time to work on the Flyhawk M1A2 This is a 1/72 kit so will not be as detailed or have the presence of the 1/35 scale beast that @Old Collingwood is progressing with. This should be a fun counterpoint and I hope to learn some of his painting skills as I go along.

938671398_RIMG0588(1280x720).jpg.68d684deb516ee366b1e5443bb6a3360.jpg

Inside the box is pretty crowded in typical Flyhawk manner

1264382653_RIMG0591(1280x720).jpg.1883d6c2d35b9a58be7d76ed63b20107.jpg

For a 1/73 kit there are a lot of parts including clear parts for the armoured glass

1781895568_RIMG0592(1280x720).jpg.6f381ec18ad2714598540583ceff7c75.jpg

There is a decal sheet and a small mostly non-threatening PE. This includes a mask for the road wheels

80881458_RIMG0593(1280x720).jpg.8a798f02dbaa5d4049e7d02d00efcf92.jpg

I was a bit disappointed in the choice of colour schemes provided in the instruction booklet; just the Fort Bragg colour scheme. Out of curiosity I flipped the box over and found four desert schemes on the underside. Great.

494031871_RIMG0590(1280x720).jpg.469090f2c58cb012700250c05e325a08.jpg

The hull sides fit over the road wheel axles and are a tight fit. The sides are thin plastic and easy to warp.

73060766_RIMG0594(1280x720).jpg.181ca64b059cffd541f8360935fea483.jpg

The hull is kept square by three braces that fit across the top of the hull. I am not sure whether I got a bad kit of it suffered damage in transit. The box was pretty beaten up on arrival. The side walls are warped at the front and needed to be glued in two stages to bring them into line. The rear bulkhead outer sections are warped rearwards but a bit of judicial force looks like it will straighten them out

On the positive side the usual crisp Flyhawk detail is present and even the secondary armament have hollow muzzles

195680589_RIMG0595(1280x728).jpg.b34cd02abd78f93562aec3852263ce14.jpg

The same was true for the skirts but again gluing them up in sections looks like it will align them. The plastic is too thin for rubber bands or clamps

808572298_RIMG0598(1280x720).jpg.2ffc43fe745cd41fa6980f97894d0a92.jpg

There is also a small area of distortion on the lower part of the turret. I think it will fill without problem.

1461385093_RIMG0599(1280x659).jpg.89609ae0188c937f9ecd8610dd961fd6.jpg

So, the main sub-assemblies are made and details will be added next. There are some very fragile elements for the turret.

Thanks for looking in

Alan

RIMG0596 (1280x720).jpg

Since it's so thin where the "warps" are, try using masking tape to the shape and fit until the glue dries.  I've had to do that in the past.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Im In Alan.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I'm here brother...

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

I'm in. Just climbing into the rafter hammocks. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

I'll be right back I ran out of hammocks! Don't do to much before I get back!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Hey Lou, you forgot you can use a left handed sky hook and bosun chair 😉 😀  I'm hanging fine 🙂 😀 

Edited by Jack12477

2 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

left handed sky hook and bounce chair

Got to lay out in a hammock. The chair things just aren't as comfortable and over time put a lot of strain on my busted back! Besides one looks much more regal while laying in a hammock.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Yeah, that Bosun's chair, (bounce chair) does have an unfortunate habit of getting people wet from time to time, I wouldn't want to sit in one for very long either brother... (right or left handed sky hook)

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

22 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Since it's so thin where the "warps" are, try using masking tape to the shape and fit until the glue dries.  I've had to do that in the past.

Good idea Mark. I used some duct tape because the parts needed a bit of persuasion to get them aligned and it worked a treat.

Many Thanks

alan

1 hour ago, Egilman said:

Yeah, that Bosun's chair, (bounce chair) does have an unfortunate habit of getting people wet from time to time, I wouldn't want to sit in one for very long either brother

Well I probably misspoke as usual. I was thinking of this type chair (the Admiral loves hers)

IMG_2197_645x@2x.progressive.jpg.eb8e93343f8baac2e6ab8f6d1889a0dc.jpg

2 hours ago, lmagna said:

Got to lay out in a hammock. The chair things just aren't as comfortable and over time put a lot of strain on my busted back! Besides one looks much more regal while laying in a hammock.

you have to take care of bad backs. I broke four bones in mine and after 40 years I still get the occasional reminder that it was a silly idea to stand on a loose rock over a twenty foor drop

Alan 

I stayed too long with the catwalks but managed to make some progress. I used some tape to hold the front of the hull together and it took out the warps while i glued it. Thanks @mtaylor

I added the detail to the rear of the hull. all very relaxing and nice detail. There is aa little more to add but I'll wait until teh basic paint is on

170540262_RIMG0608(1280x720).jpg.35edfb7bb361fdf5acb713c31f7b1c18.jpg

Then it was back to the rear deck and I added the PE for gratings and non skid areas. The PE is a bit thicker than the HMS Lance stuff and so far there is little bending. The thin sections over the front track guards were a bit fiddly but not too bad. 

1847948168_RIMG0605(1280x720).jpg.ba3c04645eba92d5edb98aee55e5811c.jpg

The work will continue on the turret. 

I'll be using a desert paint scheme. So far all the pictures I have found show them to be dusty but not very banged up. Maybe some sun fading of the paint.

Thanks for looking in

Alan

15 minutes ago, king derelict said:

after 40 years I still get the occasional reminder

I have had three surgeries now just on my back and they would like to do two more! But with the last, a fusion at my L4, I have personally had it! No more for me unless they either come up with something radially different or pull me in already unconscious. On me it is now a daily, and nightly reminder! Nothing occasional about it. Add a left hip replacement and shattered left foot that will never be the same again and my right knee starting to hurt and it is no where near the life I imagined just a few short years ago. Not really complaining, things could be FAR WORSE and it is for many but I do miss some of the fun of being more mobile.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

2 minutes ago, lmagna said:

I have had three surgeries now just on my back and they would like to do two more! But with the last, a fusion at my L4, I have personally had it! No more for me unless they either come up with something radially different or pull me in already unconscious. On me it is now a daily, and nightly reminder! Nothing occasional about it. Add a left hip replacement and shattered left foot that will never be the same again and my right knee starting to hurt and it is no where near the life I imagined just a few short years ago. Not really complaining, things could be FAR WORSE and it is for many but I do miss some of the fun of being more mobile.

I feel for you there Lou

Not great at all

Alan

It's heck, getting old. Definitely not for sissies!

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Looking good Alan, nice to have some PE   at this scale aswel.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

1 hour ago, lmagna said:

Not really complaining, things could be FAR WORSE and it is for many but I do miss some of the fun of being more mobile.

No more for me either... I sincerely empathize my friend... two laminectomies here T6-7 & T7-8... docs tell me I'm lucky to be walking.... Take care brother... 

Quote:

9 minutes ago, Canute said:

It's heck, getting old. Definitely not for sissies!

It certainly isn't.  Carry on, my friends, as best we can.  That's about all we can do.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice start.

On 2/21/2022 at 2:43 AM, king derelict said:

The plastic is too thin for rubber bands or clamps

I sometimes use a small dot of CA glue until the parts stay in the right place.
And then very thin liquid glue for the stronger connection.

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Another issue with thin styrene and solvent cements is too much cement can dimple the thin styrene.  Tack it in place, then cement it with brushed on cement.

Good technique there, Patrick.👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

On 2/21/2022 at 9:06 PM, Old Collingwood said:

Looking good Alan, nice to have some PE   at this scale aswel.

OC.

Thanks OC. And this PE is quite low stress compared to the craziness on the Wasp. Its mostly textured plates and a few brackets so far.

Alan