Liberty Ship by NavyShooter - FINISHED - 3D printed - RADIO

I agree, some kind of inquest is in order at the very least. The Captain not only ran hard aground but caused structural loss of a section of the ship requiring the use of shipyard facilities to repair. 

You need to look into FPV gear if you intend to do this all of the time. Or possibly binoculars. :D

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

57 minutes ago, lmagna said:

You need to look into FPV gear if you intend to do this all of the time. Or possibly binoculars. :D

Some years ago I knew a lad who did RC boats.  He one day got the bright idea to tie string to the stern and use the string like one would for a kite.  It didn't end well as the string got tangled about the various plants in the water and also it didn't float like he thought it would.  The only good thing was the string lead him to where it sank so he could recover it but it never sailed again.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I had much the same thing happen with the old Blue Devil Destroyer years ago, only without the string. I recovered it but also never sailed it again!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 2 weeks later...

OK....so I have a small pile of money wasted on FPV gear....Amazon is a dangerous website...I'm going to add FPV to the Liberty Ship and my Wolf 8 Tug boat as well I think. 

I'm not going to post links to the stuff I wasted my money on until I see if I actually wasted it or not!

Brad/NavyShooter

Pending Launch: RMS Titanic - 1/100 - 3D Print - Pond Float display

Build Log:   HMCS Bonaventure- 1/96 - A Fitting Out

Completed Build:  HMCS St Thomas - 1/48 - 3D printed Bens Worx

Completed Build:  3D Printed Liberty Ship - 1/96 - RC

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

Nothing is ever wasted Brad. If you have it sooner or later you find a use for it.:P 

If your intent is to add FPV to the Wulf 8 I hope it is one of the very light ones. At 18" the whole boat is not going to weigh all that much just bringing it to the waterline.. Might get a little tricky.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 2 weeks later...

So, a recurring theme with this ship has been slipping of grub screws in the drive-train, resulting in a loss of propulsion.  It's happened twice now, and I'm displeased at it....

So...the 3mm grub screws (that used a 1.5mm hex key to tighten them - which strips when you try to actually tighten them) have been replaced on the dogbone with a pair of 5mm long socket head screws.  Did not negatively impact the balance of the shaft from my observation, so this seems to be the solution going forward.  Additionally - to make sure I've got the necessary tools available, I drilled some holes, and put a set of 3 hex keys in the stern-by the rudder post. 

You can see that I'm also keeping the old scale sized rudder in the stern area as well - in case I ever need it for display purposes. 

20220717_121256_resized_1.jpg

20220717_121611_resized_1.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

A slightly grumpy, not quite retired ex-RCN Chief....hanging my hat (or helmet now...) in the Halifax NS area. 

I was also somewhat envious of the 'dry launch' bracket things that a couple of gents at the local modeling club had and use.  So, I decided to stop at Home Depot, buy some copper tubing, elbows, and build one myself.

I'm pleased with the function - it's big enough to easily accommodate my Liberty Ship and my Tug boat.  

After the trial run, I gave it a layer of red Tremclad, and am going to grab some pipe wrap on the way home from work tomorrow.

20220717_201901_resized.jpg

20220717_193857_resized_1.jpg

20220717_202539_resized.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

Finally, as you can see, the Liberty Ship has been out on the lake again this evening.  Hooted the horn at some passing boats, but alas, no ducks to chase this evening.  Good news though, the eagle has returned to the lake this summer.  I hadn't seen him this year - but today he was out and about. 

I think I need to add a bit of additional ballast up forward, she's riding a bit low in the stern. 

20220717_202130_resized.jpg

20220717_201945_resized.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

There's the video of the rescue!

Brad/NavyShooter

Here she is sailing before the shaft-line failure:

3D printed Liberty Ship sailing on Canada Day - YouTube

Brad/NavyShooter

Would a  bit of Locktite work with the screws that were coming loose?  I'm one not to trust lock washers or even just torquing them eitehr.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I am with Mark. A little Locktite will secure the running gear yet with some heat from a soldering iron or such will come loose easily.

I think you will like your launching frame even though I think I would put a platform or straps over the center to keep smaller ships from sliding and possibly slipping back into the water bow or stern first. Here is what I have been using:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FX9F37C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Back then it was $25 AFTER tax. It looks like it has gone up a bit in the last three or four years!:stunned: I am certain that there are others at lower cost though. At under three pounds it is easy to transport though and fits into my boat cart folded up pretty well.

Too bad you don't live out this way. Our annual tug regatta is in a few weeks and seeing you work your HH30 you could do well in competition.  

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Had her out again this evening - a good 40 minute run or so....one problem came up, the rudder over-rotated, and flipped the servo arm.  That was - ungood...good news was that she was close to the dock when it happened, and I was able to recover her under her own power. 

Fixed the rudder - then adjusted the rotation limit in the radio by 15% (less) to each side.  She'll turn a bit wider now, but I won't have the same flip problem.

Brad/NavyShooter

I am not certain how you set your rudder servo up Brad but if you use two arms in a push-pull arrangement with a tall rudder pin you should be able to get maximum rudder throw with no chance of over drive.

Lou

Currant builds:

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided to pursue the FPV system for my Liberty Ship....so I've been puttering away with 3D printing some parts.  I'm on version 3 of the camera mount now, and it's almost ready to assemble.  

If you recall my Can holder hatch covers, I've taken that same concept and created an FPV hatch cover, with a turret/dome mounted on top, wires go into the hull and there's a spot behind the turret for the antenna to protrude.

Pictures will follow - I'm pondering how to make it a 'modular' setup so I can swap it from ship to ship without having to invest in a new camera, transmitter, and servos for each ship.

Brad/NavyShooter

image.png.634a61eb882dd82e29ab6cc17995eb86.png

Brad/NavyShooter

image.png.fbd4c65382dcd6585ecf6277ac2a9ad1.png

Brad/NavyShooter

• 10 months later...

There was mention early in this thread of there being a 'second ship' - the second Liberty Ship that I printed at the same time as I did mine - that being for my buddy the model railroader.

Well, last month, he brought the hull over and I helped him learn about gelcoat and fiberglass.

He stayed for the first layer - I did the next few on my own, and last night I called him over to help shoot the first layer of primer. 

There's a couple of minor spots that I've sanded again and added a bit of red body putty to those.  A bit more sanding and another layer of primer, and she'll be good to go.  He's going to bring her home to finish up the rest of the build.

NS

352880651_1208114249816282_7494054954980249047_n.jpg

345284637_3543631869255834_3998078648882740536_n.jpg

Brad/NavyShooter

Every time I see a Liberty Ship project it reminds of Edwin O'Hara, one of 142 cadets from the US Merchant Marine Academy killed while sailing as cadets during WWII.  They are the only cadets from any US Federal academy that were killed while sailing as cadets during the war.  The story of O'Hara is worth reading. https://thewildgeese.irish/profiles/blogs/wwii-hero-edwin-o-hara-the-honor-but-not-the-medal  I vividly remember the painting in the article hanging in O'Hara Hall at the USMMA.  Photo of O'Hara's ship, the SS Stephen Hopkins is below.   Acta Non Verba    

Allan

SS_Stephen_Hopkins.jpg.1c104ab3334cd48bfa4bc671d392c791.jpg

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi NavyShooter,

congrats to your fine Liberty Ship model. It is amazing what is possible with your 3D printing device, guess you have already good experience with that method. In all well done !

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 6 months later...

Liberty Ship (RC) - Revision 5 by JohnButtery - Thingiverse

I think it's about 1:160 scale or so.

Brad/NavyShooter