USS New Jersey by popeye the sailor - Tamiya - 1:350 scale - PLASTIC

Would it be too late  to buy a sheet of vaneer  wood decking and lay that down?

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

sure......I could go out and see if there's a deck set for this model,  but likely I would still have to dismantle it.  I wouldn't be overly concerned if the color was a little bit off...it's not like I'm looking to put it in a museum.  I made a few advances on the model........I should be posting the pictures soon.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

At 1:350 scale, a 6 in wide deck plank would have a scale width of approximately .02in; about as thick as two sheets of ordinary computer paper.  In reality, by the 1940’s deck planks could have been narrower than 6in. A skillful paint job would probably be more realistic.

Roger

yea.......that's what I thought too ;)   I'm still trying to nail down the exact color used,  but it's looking more like repaint at this point in time.  not only that,  I've been wrestling with car issues of late........be nice to devote a little time to the model.  today I was left on the side of the road waiting for a tow.......the A/C clutch pulley seized and ate the belt.  I was on my way to my brother's shop.  he has a scanner that can shed more light on my EVAP issue, which was an issue since I bought it.  can't wait to see what happens next :rolleyes:

while I'm here though........I can post the pictures that I've been sitting on since the beginning of June.   as I mentioned earlier.....I redid the big guns,  after adding the PE I thought would add more to them.

607582284_1.jpg.9ba90484130ecb69f7e0b5166b3f4989.jpg

1443303683_2.jpg.6ef498d52af5b786ad5e9c0e2119fe07.jpg

there are two casements that on both sides of the main superstructure.......figured I'd add them.  I also added the first bit of railing detail,  which went rather well.  of course it makes it imperative that I find the correct deck paint :) 

258008300_3.jpg.bf56bca2246fa2f95e135aff64dff226.jpg

2056205550_4.jpg.b8e75bd13e35d37f8b6830f64bd18b1a.jpg

1666824513_5.jpg.337b9f9435ab6684c56924acc7a8c3af.jpg

I went out and bought a different type of CA......something a little bit thicker.  I've yet to try it out.  the Admiral and I went to Hobby Lobby.......I got some supplies and couldn't pass up the sale on kits.  I got two 1:48 scale aircraft kits @ $11.99 each {40% off}.  I also made an effort towards a better stand for the model........all I need now are the pedestals!

1208593416_6.jpg.f231111fba8f51f17b97cbacbb17bc6e.jpg

stained and lacquered,  it should look OK.........better than that plastic abomination the kit supplies ;)  I touched up the big guns again.........

252563417_7.jpg.eb14365e986e0c21aef9d085f9d118b0.jpg

I started to add PE to the Tomahawk missile launchers........a bit clumsy,  but they worked out reasonably well.

662867752_8.jpg.91399a1fc85684ebe12835f99d9e4011.jpg

I almost lost one of these bits.......wicked hard to find on wood floors.  I still have ladders to add to them and then they will get touched up again.  I added range finder pedestals on an upper deck and added a bit more railing to another deck placement......I think for the Phalanx guns.

512104358_9.jpg.5f7cc0d2abaccc2434ca404a70e495ee.jpg

so this brings us up to date......love to have done more.  I really need to get the hull touched and painted,  so I can continue getting it suited for the new stand........but I suppose I can do that now and touch it up later.  I'm holding off on paint,  since the admiral is using the spare room for her puzzles...don't want to choke her up 😷  more soon!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

oh Roger.........what are you saying!!!  are you saying that molded deck detail is out of scale! :D :D ROLF!  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Love what you are doing with this  -  really nice work Denis.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

the car is up and running again..........after spending almost $500.00!  good thing I do my own work  ;)   sadly,  there is no new update,  but I do have a question.  I have been looking for the brass pedestals to support the model,  but no matter how I describe it,  all I get is everything but.......  is there a good place to be looking,  or can anyone tell me where they get them.

thanks for the good word OC......and thanks to those who are following along.

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

11 minutes ago, popeye the sailor said:

the car is up and running again..........after spending almost $500.00!  good thing I do my own work  ;)   sadly,  there is no new update,  but I do have a question.  I have been looking for the brass pedestals to support the model,  but no matter how I describe it,  all I get is everything but.......  is there a good place to be looking,  or can anyone tell me where they get them.

thanks for the good word OC......and thanks to those who are following along.

Cars are an expensive  avenue  my  last one seemed  to keep needing money thrown at it.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

12 hours ago, popeye the sailor said:

is there a good place to be looking,  or can anyone tell me where they get them.

Finials...

Google

Or, in the alternative, the lamp hardware section of any big box store

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

....so,  what are you doing for wheels now OC?

not familiar with them called by that name....interesting.  funny.........I was going to look in a Home Depot for something to use.  thanx for the head's up! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 months later...

thought I'd put some movement on this log.......not huge,  but a humble step foreword.   earlier this summer,  I went to Home depot and picked out a suitable pair of finials........a pair of draw pulls {knobs}.  I was going to drill out the holes.......I need to drill all the way through them.  distracted,  I put them somewhere,  and when I decided to do them,  I couldn't find 'em!  I looked in all the probable places I could have put them with no luck.  I did another search recently with the same result.........can't blame the carpet monster for this one folks!  ;)   so I went out and bought two more........these seem better suited.  this is likely what prompted me to complete the task..........all in one fal swoop!  I also bought the machine screws for them......#8.......and #10 X 3" with nuts.....two sizes in case I needed to go larger.  I had to go slow with the drilling ......kinda tough to drill through.

1847383949_1.jpg.7e38b69b08afc96fa1efc7b3c9791364.jpg

556741728_2.jpg.215a4badd0aada2e3ec9769120387c0c.jpg

with the plastic still on the wood base,  the center line was drawn,  and the holes were marked out.  the holes were drilled with the plastic still on the wood.

153178812_3.jpg.2826cbc5297ec5c761c132050bb2866c.jpg

the plastic was removed........the exit holes on the underside was chamfered to allow the screw heads to sink into the wood.  I may need to change this up in case a washer is needed........I'll cross that bridge when I see how this goes.

2083333362_4.jpg.028fc2f4289a82749a7d2c7fb0f779e9.jpg

so,  with the screws in place......as well as the finials,  this is what it looks like

869538254_5.jpg.1ac4394a45f4ba717dd05cf4b3c35684.jpg

the wood needs to be stained and sealed...........later.  with the hardware removed,  the base was placed on the hull and the holes were marked.   these were drilled out.

1168192870_6.jpg.df3c621717ef8a3e8ddc66d2ecf8a8b4.jpg

I found that 3"  is a little too long..........but there is sufficient room in the hull,  that they don't interfere  { I can always cut them down too}.    drum roll.................looks pretty darn good for a first time doing it :) 

19028066_7.jpg.892448255253bca615962ec6194aeafa.jpg

837998333_8.jpg.7aa06eb7911a41343f0795cb364bf302.jpg

usually,  I use the stands that come with the model.   this one is large enough to be an exception  ;)     now I can stain it!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

On 6/25/2022 at 5:24 PM, popeye the sailor said:

....so,  what are you doing for wheels now OC?

not familiar with them called by that name....interesting.  funny.........I was going to look in a Home Depot for something to use.  thanx for the head's up! :) 

Sorry  for the late  reply Denis,   I  havn't  driven  for a  good  few years.

OC.

Edited by Old Collingwood

Current builds  

Completed works.

She is a big Girl indeed Popeye.

The Iowa is (was?? she doesn't show up on Google anymore) berthed in San Pedro Harbor in LA, right by the cruise ship terminal. Better Half and I took a cruise in 2018 and the Iowa was right in front of us. As big as she is she was an ant next to this 4500 guest cruise ship. Was pretty cool looking down on her and getting an aerial view.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

she looks great on the new stand

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

MHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

Hercules by Kevin - OcCre - 1/50 - Tugboat - Finished - May 2024

Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

thanks to all who replied and liked :)   there is something I may change,  adding a washer to the screw head.  since I drilled the hole larger to accept the screw head,  I'm concerned that over time the head will go deeper causing it to become loose.  should have something to report soon ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

hello all........I made a bit more progress.  it would have been larger,  but I hit a snag and had to resolve it.  firstly.......I did finally stain the base,  right after augering out the holes to allow for washers.  I'm even going the next size up for the machine screws.  rather than cut the ones I have down,  I bought a bag of 2 inch long machine screws.  I got some stainless steel washers from work,  courtesy of a trailer I was working on.

1798233975_1.jpg.d40655b1df958b7b7acf0a45b7b136ac.jpg

done in a dark walnut.........

1749606712_2.jpg.38a968829a4da0f74619d3f1f310d6bc.jpg

last week,  I found the time to give it two coats of clear lacquer.  I'll be sure to post a picture in the next session.   I did mess around with the hull earlier.......fitting the center section of the deck in place,  but not really concerned with the way it fit.  toying with it at this time,  I began to notice things..........the hull seems to be warped,  not allowing it to fall into place.  the bow and stern section have already been cemented into place when I got the model........it may be a contributing factor to the problem.  it may also be in how the hull is picked up too.........one hand holding it in the center of the hull {I'm guilty of it}.   I have heard how some folks are lucky enough to have bulkheads supplied in their kits,  for support of the hull...........I envy you.  so,  I will have to make up some spreaders for the center section of the hull.   I measured and cut some dowel to spread the hull.

1728053687_3.jpg.355d919a777943652e52428f1357ae95.jpg

they are not perfect........some fine tuning is still needed,  but they do help out.  I also trimmed the structure flanges at the front of the section.......the two structure 'ears' on both sides of the bottom level to get it to fit better.  as mentioned....it still needs some fine tuning ;) 

1976734991_4.jpg.bc9d348f5e31b3569ed3dbeaa8db6d37.jpg

I will have to mount the base before tis section can be cemented into place.  I began to try and touch up the bottom of the hull with the paint I zeroed in as the color used........just getting an air brush to work was a project.  as a last resort,  I brought out my gravity feed air brush and did a fairly reasonable job.  this was compounded by the fact that I didn't want to thin down the paint too much,  and likely cause the original color to 'wrinkle'.  in the end,  it was all in vain.......the color does not match.  today I went out and bought a can of red primer.........I'm just going to redo it.  the hull is all masked up and ready to dance,  so it's all ready to shoot.  I should have some more for you soon :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

hi Sam.......yes,  there is a slimming down towards the bow.  it's too bad that the bow section was already cemented in place...........I don't want to remove it for fear of damaging it,  and it would have looked nicer if the chain detail was addressed.  I thought about how to do it,  but I might just scratch it and leave it as is.......just touching it up in paint.   so........the base has been clear coated with lacquer....I gave it two coats.  I probably should have gone over it with steel wool,  but it wasn't too bad so I didn't.

2094833909_1.jpg.e79d1450368dc5c3e43bedb758d0f299.jpg

I turned around and got another can of red primer to do the bottom paint.  it's not as perfect as I would have liked,  but it renewed the paint and got rid of all the scratches and chipping.

289498843_2.jpg.10221d8f98a9516cd19b90d71492b97c.jpg

there is some degree of fading along the sides....not intentional and I left it 'cuz it adds to the aging aspect.   the next step was to mount it on the base.........that went well,  so you will likely see me do this again ;) 

301159482_3.jpg.67f8ff10e298f2b0a66e2c93e32edae9.jpg

I still need to touch up the waterline and the upper section of the hull,  but these are minor and won't be hampered with it being mounted.  I put CA on the nuts inside so they won't back off as I work on it.  I did make a adjustments to the spreaders,  ending up with only using two.  the deck fits on there much better,  and that will be the next step.

929080777_4.jpg.b3875520ba6b1fe8e5938038d7dab2fb.jpg

Ca will be used here so they don't move.  this is where she sits now......it's a big relief that I was able to pull it off with the decks already on the model.  a couple of bollards have a 'horn' broken off {I noticed}....shouldn't be too big a deal to fix them.  more soon!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Some good  progress  there Denis  -  that  Red  bottom  really  came out well  and  sets off  a treat  against the  base/stand.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.