Sprayer for spraying small amounts of model paint....

Hi All, it was suggested that I post this tool find here...

The Preval Spot Sprayer...

IMG_0328.thumb.JPG.c343711c7570d9622720a83b44b7d51a.JPG

What it does is take anything liquid and when thinned according to directions enables you to spray it like you could out of a rattlecan... Perfect for that weird shade of paint you've mixed up to match a historic paint and have a small area to cover too large for brushing... Or, one of those bottle paints that just doesn't cover well with a brush... (yellow and white for example)

I was just in that situation yesterday and when looking around for a solution I was pointed to this tool...

It consists of a 6oz bottle, a fixture and a pressure cartridge with a spray head like a rattlecan.... You put your paint in the bottle attach the siphon tube to the bottom of the fixture and the cannister to the top of the fixture and spray away...

It really works....

My attempt at brush painting yellow on a model...

IMG_0323.thumb.JPG.d4a0a4f4c906a14f6a5d4c882e315c46.JPG

Isn't coming out too well... (using True North Insignia Yellow thinned 50/50 with Mr Color Leveling Thinner)

Using the Preval Sprayer... (thinned 3/1 paint to thinner)

IMG_0325.thumb.JPG.3f1cf457775f92fb9af4a8e584e1c6da.JPG

Perfect... 

I obtained mine from Home Depot, it is stocked on the shelf... it is also available at Amazon and it's home site https://preval.com/ they do offer extras like spare bottles and cannisters for when they run out of pressure...

Cleaning is as easy as running clear thinner through it and washing the bottles and siphon tube....

It cost me 5.80+tax at HD and I'm probably going to pick up some extra bottles for it from Preval... 

I have no affiliation with Preval, and do not get anything for posting it here... just spreading the word on a gadget that actually worked very well for me in the modeling I do... 

A very elegant solution to a long standing modeling problem...

EG

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

It sure opens up a lot of options for those who don’t have a full airbrush setup!

Wish I’d known about this a couple of years ago, before spending a fortune getting some Scalecoat paint rattle cans shipped up from the US to Canada for my railway car project(s). Not many online retailers (or postal services) will ship rattle cans locally or internationally. I’ve only seen UPS that will accept a shipment like that (enough said right there, lesson learned, never again!).

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

49 minutes ago, realworkingsailor said:

It sure opens up a lot of options for those who don’t have a full airbrush setup!

Wish I’d known about this a couple of years ago, before spending a fortune....

Me too brother, with this, the only need for rattlecans is the common colors, the mixed or special colors can now be sprayed as well... A lucky find...

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

I think it's worth looking into for some my projects.  Not doing plastic but even for painting wood ships it would be useful.   Thanks.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Would the high quality tubed acrylic artist colors work well in this device if they were thinned? No more worries about brush strokes if it does!!!  Thanks for posting the info on this unit EG.

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

I believe if you can get it thinned down to milk consistency it would spray it fine....

My pleasure Allan...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

You sure can't beat the price if you only have very occasional need for it. My major concern, however, would be keeping the nozzle working correctly. It appears to have a rattle can nozzle and we all know how those can go south. (Yes, always turn the can upside down and spray until just gas comes out before putting the can back on the shelf.) The advantage with an airbrush is that you can clean them and always be assured of perfect spray performance and be able to adjust the shape of the spray "line." (Well, almost always. :D) Given the price, it's sure a good way for somebody to taking their painting to the next level. 

The whole concept looks fine to me as well for the applications it was designed for. In addition I would think that sticking the pickup tube in some water or thinner depending on the paint used would also go a long way to keeping the nozzle clean. Totally a win win!

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

13 minutes ago, lmagna said:

The whole concept looks fine to me as well for the applications it was designed for. In addition I would think that sticking the pickup tube in some water or thinner depending on the paint used would also go a long way to keeping the nozzle clean. Totally a win win!

It was for me.... That's why I figured that others in the same boat would appreciate it...

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

2 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

You sure can't beat the price if you only have very occasional need for it. My major concern, however, would be keeping the nozzle working correctly. It appears to have a rattle can nozzle and we all know how those can go south. (Yes, always turn the can upside down and spray until just gas comes out before putting the can back on the shelf.) The advantage with an airbrush is that you can clean them and always be assured of perfect spray performance and be able to adjust the shape of the spray "line." (Well, almost always. :D) Given the price, it's sure a good way for somebody to taking their painting to the next level. 

Internal cleaning is the  the same as an airbrush, just run your thinner or cleaning fluid thru it till it runs clear... For those one off colors it can't be beat... and replacement spray buttons are available from the vendors website

21 minutes ago, amateur said:

How long does the pressire-cartridge last?

Jan

My understanding is it will spray 12oz of paint according to the manufacturer, they give you a 6oz bottle with it and 3oz bottles are available from the makers website.... They also sell replacement cartridges....

They have a kit for 39.95 on the website that offers multiple cannisters, bottles, (6 & 3oz) spray units, (the part between the Bottle & Cannister) Spray Buttons and Pickup tubes in both long and short sizes... The bottles all have lids as well...

All round a complete setup... I will find out cause I ordered one....

I've always dreaded painting the light gloss colors, they never lay right or even... (like USN Buff) This solves that problem forever... (as long as they continue to make it)

Edited by Egilman

Quote:

7 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

This is about the same as cleaning an airbrush, except you don't have to break it down, you just run paint thinner through the nozzle, which you really can't do on a rattle can. Is this equal to a $200.00 airbrush setup with hours of practice under your belt? no. But it's a cheap and easy solution to the air sprayer systems. Even if I get one to two applications with it, it's paid for itself.