HMS Victory c.1765-1791 by Steve Anderson - FINISHED - 1:64 scale

Posted (edited)

Big thanks to all for your comments.

Part 13

The Case Completion

The Winter of '22-'23. Rains storms, high winds, and flooding rumbled through California. After years of drought, Mother Nature more than made up for it in three monthes.

Victoryfinished2023.thumb.jpg.112768a4f49f6cd668905d2d83e5e2e5.jpg

In my drawings I planned to have the the left facing side hinged for access. I realized the arc of the travel would be too high and awkward. In addition the weight of the panel would put too much stress on the whole structure. 

In order to keep the frames the same dimension all around I designed and built a corner mockup, seen below, with interlocking cuts. The outside piece remains in place as part of the case, while inside piece is the removable frame and its plex.

Now one may ask, how do you remove and replace the access panel? On each corner there is a quarter radious tab that turns 90 degrees to release the panel. With the two knobs pull and loosen the bottom, then with one hand hold the top and remove. Same way in reverse to install.

The final touch was engraving the builder's plate. When it finally has a patina I will polish the surface so the letters show up better.

Thank you all for showing interest and for your valued comments.

DSC05991.JPG

DSC05993.JPG

DSC05990.JPG

DSC05986.JPG

DSC05987.JPG

Builder's plate 2 copy.jpg

Edited by Steve Anderson

Just lovely. No other words for it. Well done!

BZ

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

Really a beauty. You build a fantastic model of her.

Regards Christian

Current build: HM Cutter Alert, 1777; HM Sloop Fly, 1776 - 1/36

On the drawing board: English Ship Sloops Fly, 1776, Comet, 1783 and Aetna, 1776; Naval Cutter Alert, 1777

Paused: HMS Triton, 1771 - 1/48

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." Salvador Dali

Congratulations Steve! Incredible achievement! It’s refreshing to see this early version of Victory.

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship