Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Looks great!

When comparing the 1/10 model with the actual ship, it may be worth considering that there are sculptures that are not mounted on the actual ship.

Either because they are missing, or that it has been deemed not suitable to mount them. It may be safety reasons, or the sculpture may be too fragile.

When it comes to identify reconstructed parts, quite often it's possible to identify new pieces on the ship, as they are typically lighter wood.

Also note that the 1/10 model seems to have oversized sculptures in many places, especially if one compares the upper gallery roof sculptures that on the ship are considerably thinner than on the 1/10 model.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by Peter Jenssen

Michael, personally I like the look of yours better than the 1/10 model. Hard to say which is more accurate, but to me the 1/10 paint job would have been too much for the ships crew to maintain and therefore unlikely that they would gone to that extreme. Even considering the fact that that time period was know for lavish decorations it seems too much for a ship. Plus it is almost too "Santa's Workshop" with the color scheme. I would yhink that the simpler paint scheme, (simpler in comparisson to the 1/10 not simple in terms of detail and wow factor) that yours presents would have been more practical.

This is all my opinion as I have no basis for fact only guess work. The only facts are that the 1/10 model is awesome and your model could sit with pride right next to it.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Hi Michael -you are doing a great job with all the details. As you know,the paint scheme & colors are very well researched by the museum,so I say detail it all you want. Back when this ship was built,it seems that the more "bling" the better was the rule.

Mark

current build - HMS Vanguard - Model Shipways

For this reason we should have a Time machine  :D

Checking paintwork from that period in the Netherlands I personally expect something in between. 

considering that the master of the build was from the Netherlands, but also the influence of the King of Sweden that this ship should be very impressive is to be considered.

in that period cost of labour was not a point, no problem to paint such a ship every year.

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

nice work

I agree with Jan. Cost of labour was very low compared with our time.

But if every sailor on board the real ship could paint sufficient enough to maintain an artwork like it is presented on the 1/10 model in the museum.

That is an open question.

Patrick

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I doubt the sailors would be tasked with maintaining the sculptures.
Analysis has shown painting techniques with blending of multiple colours and accentuations with gold leaf.
In baltic waters, I suspect there would be plenty of time for maintenance during the winter months when the fleet would be frozen in.

Cheers,

Peter

It does not seem unreasonable to me to think bright colours were used.
We do have accounts of what pigments were used, they are on display in the museum:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0b/Vasa_color_pigments.jpg/500px-Vasa_color_pigments.jpg
Unfortunately, some of these pigments fade or darken with age, so tones on surviving sculptures and paintings found elsewhere tend to be duller and/or darker than they would have been originally.

It can be interesting to compare with church carvings.
For example, see Övertorneå church:
http://norrbottensmuseum.se/imagegen.ashx?image=/media/375284/nbovertornea1.jpg

Where incidentally the upper half of a church organ with a facade carved by Mårten Redtmer (who also carved Vasa´s sculptures) survives;
http://www.overtornea.se/Global/Bilder/Kultur%20och%20fritid/Kyrkan%20Orgeln2%20liten.jpg
This organ was located in St Gertrude in Stockholm for 150 years before moved. (Possibly some of the original painting has been gilded over during this time, as gilding became more fashionable than natural colours)
The lower part, also by Redtmer, is located in Hietaniemi church:
http://www.allakartor.se/venue_images_475/58674_37884117.jpg
Perhaps some of the original colours have been restored since the 1770s, when a copy was built and installed in St Gertrude (Tyska Kyrkan).
To me this "new" one looks more golden: 
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e5/Tyska_kyrkan_Orgel_(1).jpg

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Mates,

Thanks for your likes. I also appreciate your comments, and thoughts regarding my comment about all of the colorful details on the 1/10th. You are all certainly correct.  Jan, Patrick, Peter, thanks for your perspectives.

It was wishful thinking on my part – having so missed – even coming close to how the galleries should look.

Though the stern is much closer, but Corel’s entire weather deck is too narrow which squeezes stern detailing tighter than it should be.

Peter also thanks for you very interesting links. Kind of you to take the time.

And EJ_L, B.E., Joe, and Capt. Steve thanks for preferring the “look” of my efforts –cheers ! that is really nice of you to mention this.

What I am working on now (not doing fixes)  masts, platforms, carriages and other bits are coming out ok - so far - hmmm. So moving forward will be easier.

Again mates, thanks for your always, kind support, thoughts and visits.

Cheers

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

One last bit of similar “detailing”-- added some small verticals to the bowsprit framing.

Pics before update

post-735-0-34758900-1469984041_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-58305800-1469984056_thumb.jpg

And such luck!! Those left over necklace bits just sort of perfectly fit between the white trim pieces. Now that was a pleasant experience.

post-735-0-99002700-1469984094_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-11265500-1469984115_thumb.jpg

PS: I know that the cathead braces (anchors) are not even an approximation of what they should look like – but done here – moving forward. – I think?

Onto installing and attaching the lower main and its shrouds.

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Mates,

Thanks for the likes. Joe and Edmay cheers appreciated.

John Maguire thanks for your kindness in your interest in following along. Very nice of you. Welcome to the shipyard.

It appears as though, from your avatar, that we may have been the same business. Well I was for a time in my late twenties. Your avatar looks to be a newer 737 - at least a 600 series?. 

My next post will definitely be a step forward (;-)

Regards,

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Ferit,

Always nice of you to drop by, and thanks so much for your comment. Much too kind (;-)

Cheers,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mates,

Small update (well for me it’s a big one)

Finished up some detail work on the upper railings adding the look of probable attaching nails (should be painted over, but the detail look is nicer IMO)

Installed the lower main stays after putting the bits together. (Nigel – again thanks - annealing the brass rivets allowed for easier lip creation on the cut side)

Attached the shrouds along with the blocks. One issue that I had – notice the last two photos;

The 1/1 has much more rope spacing between the blocks. The 1/10th are much closer together. So took a leap and sprung the bits closer together. I think that they are too close, but so it goes.

Now onto building and installing the lower mizzenmast, and its platform.

As usual thanks so much for dropping by – always nice of you.

Cheers,

post-735-0-79327300-1471713953_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-24395700-1471713967_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-22443400-1471714007_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-55096600-1471714024_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-76711800-1471714037_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-11778300-1471714052_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-64349700-1471714067_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-10432100-1471714082_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-34347400-1471714307_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-25028100-1471714119_thumb.jpegpost-735-0-61530600-1471714131.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Michael, What a wonderful log you built ,full of interesting ideas ,alternatives and the many vocies of exchanging tips,banter and genuine interest from across the world, The Wasa is in the closet but I do not know if I will get to it,if I do she would never be as beautiful as yours ,Well done. Have the Triinidad to so i hope you start her .Edwin. Thks

Michael  this build of yours is up and beyond!!......... it's just beautiful!!!....

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Michael, as always, just incredible!

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Edwin, thanks you are so encouraging – as always.  Well there have certainly been a lot of helpful posts with us Corel Wasa builders, which may be helpful to you in circumventing some of this kits glaring errors. Thanks for following along always nice hearing from you.

Frank, thanks – I am enjoying following your new project J

Jan V. You have been busy building the longboat nice side project. I will certainly use your ideas when I get there. Thanks for your nice thoughts.

B.E.  & EJ_L  thanks indeed. It is certainly mutual following along with your projects as well.

==============

Minor update: Decided on starting to build the two falconets and carriages that are at the quarter deck before moving to the mizzen mast. I’ll post some updates as they move along….

Thanks all for your kind clicks and comments,

Cheers,

post-735-0-37391900-1471916575_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Mates,

Working on those falconets that seem to have also been on the Vasa.

Pic 1 from the 1/10th

Pic 2 are examples from Clayton Johnson’s build of all of the various canons that were cast for the ship. Here is a link to all of his work for the cannons (if you care to look) beautiful work

https://sites.google.com/site/clayton707/1-10-scale-vasa-artillery

Pic 3 falconets seem to have disappeared in more recent photos – hmmm?—

post-735-0-34066300-1472074563.jpgpost-735-0-70118200-1472074582.jpgpost-735-0-05753200-1472074597_thumb.jpg

------- Wheels were cut from dowel. I rolled the dowel, not cutting clear through (for obvious reasons) then just sawed the inner bits. The carriages had been built at the same time that I put together the weather deck ones. 

post-735-0-02264500-1472074699_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-27211800-1472074719_thumb.jpg

Used brass framing to articulate the metal framing for the carriages (simple tools helped) - not sure how to represent their attaching pins? May just let that bit go...

post-735-0-58485400-1472074825_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-56977600-1472074842_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-29521100-1472074856_thumb.jpg

To be updated…..

PS: My big frustration with this ship (and all Vasa kits) has to do with all of the totally incorrect cannons that are supplied. But I understand – there were so many diff. size cannons mounted aboard that it would make this bit of detail cost prohibitive just for the Vasa kit. Let’s see if the DeAgostini 1/65 get’s these right???

Cheers,

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Excellent details again...

Do you think to add there (light green area) a block of wood Michael?

( Excuse me for my obsession of asking questions like this...)

post-2145-0-37883600-1472116801.jpg

post-2145-0-07832400-1472116810.jpg

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)