Wasa by md1400cs - FINISHED - Corel - 1:75

Outstanding work Michael! You have inspired me to do more research and see what I can do when it comes time for the masts on my Couronne. Once I have seen those and how great they look I don't think I could be happy with a plain mast anymore.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

Thank for your kind posts.

Frank, from a previous post: Also for the metal straps Ferrari parts have come to the rescue. Vinyl self-adhesive strips that are leftover from an F40 that my son and I built from a 1/12th kit. We had fun. I will use that as well as those small cleats at the wrap ends. - Never throw anything away right (:-)

===========

-E.J: Thanks so much. We do indeed all learn from each other. I'm still "stretching" as a learner, but it's so nice when something that I may have done is inspirational for someone else as well. Your work is so excellent that your compliment is even more special. 

woodo: Again thanks - nice to have you on board.

George: You're always so kind with your comments and your Clicks" (:-)

Regards,

Michael

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

Even all parts are fine, day by day the details on every piece are going to be perfect.

I am very curious about the final piece you will install... ;-)

Edited by AlphaUrsaeMinoris

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Under construction: Frigate Berlin (Brandenburg Navy)

Hope: Frigate Wappen Von Hamburg (Brandenburg Navy)

Ferit: Thanks for always dropping by and posting encouraging words. I have to assume, as also with most builders,  the last bits will be the flags.

Edwin : appreciate your visits and thoughts - Thanks

=======================

Working on rebuilding the mainmast lower platform. The one that I had started pre-building (same size as the foremast one) turns out is a bit too small. This one is easier, having struggled through the first two; now have a better grasp on how to make the small bits at a faster clip

MIchael

post-735-0-54703200-1462114020_thumb.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

BTW

I had thought why Hamilton who pays so attention to detail, had installed the radiant pieces on the crow nest so asymmetric. Can it be his indifference?! :-(

And then I just realized today that in the plans also, these radiant pieces are asymmetric... Great replica!...

I am afraid of that you will almost simulate the grains of the wood of the original Wasa :-)))

Really exceptional...

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Ferit, BV,

Thanks for your comments. Certainly appreciated. blush (;-)  --- Also thanks mates for the "likes" always a pleasure.

PS: Had I walked into this kit today after all that I have learned following other build logs, I would have done things differently with the hull planking as well as with the cannon framings. 

Well the two under my table should benefit, i guess..

Regards,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mates,

Have not posted in a while, Admiral has had, it seems like a book of honey do lists. So, in between, have been doing various detail bits before attaching the lower main shrouds.

Put together the rope knighthead that sits below in the upper gun-deck, along with its ropes, and block (thinking of re-doing that particular triple violin block to look more like that from the 1/10th) in the photo. Hmmmm??

==================

Then worked on a kit block that needed some plastic surgery before being wrapped around the lower mainmast

================

Finished the main lower platform. I’m very happy with how the lower main mast came out - bit-by-bit moving forward.

To be continued…

Thanks as always for all of the nice thoughts, likes and just looking…

Michael

post-735-0-69627900-1463699168.jpegpost-735-0-59846700-1463699184_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-40477300-1463699197.jpgpost-735-0-61560300-1463699210_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-52124100-1463699226.jpgpost-735-0-37830700-1463699241_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-76226400-1463699254_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-10807800-1463699267_thumb.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Beautiful work, Michael !!

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Three separate piece of thin rope wrapped three or four times around the edges and the middle of the main thick rope I think.

But is it possible to hold on under such tension?

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Hi Mates,

Thanks for the likes and the comments

Ferit, yes this bit is somewhat "not clear". The 1/10th and the museum's differ. I think that the museum just did a plain single wrap just for the visitor visuals. I then also think that the 1/10th builders decided to execute a more accurate representation of the actual block wrap. ??

In any case, I will use the 1/10th as my guide. I will, as I did for the mast rope wraps, use cleats to anchor the two ends of the ropes.

Though I also noticed in the 1/10th photo, (just below) - that there seems to be two versions of how the block was attached to the mast. 1) the photo you highlighted. and 2) the other having a loop, then a second rope used for the wrap. Though bothe photos seem to be taken at diff. build stages.

I think that I will use two simple cleats and just move on (:-) but, then I'm always changing my mind about things ha ha 

MIchael

post-735-0-49843400-1463841370_thumb.jpegpost-735-0-12588400-1463841390.jpgpost-735-0-30028800-1463841404_thumb.jpg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

There is a shot from port side (highlighted by me)

and

a shot from starboard side at the photo in the last post.

Now it's clear for me after seeing starboard side.

Following the style of the 1/10th seems accurate... Don't change your mind :-) :-) :-)

Best Regards…

Ferit KUTLU

Thanks Ferit, 

Will follow the 1/10th

Looked at, and tried to make a couple of blocks from scratch to better match the longer and thinner ones as seen on the 1/10th photo just below.

Too much work, so took the kit block; minor reshape, better articulated the “pulley” areas, and added some black bands. Along with a second hole drilled to simulate the top lateral pulley.

Those black bands I had mentioned in a previous post – they were from a car model. They were self- adhesive vinyl trim from an F40.

Cut the strips to size, and then coated the block with clear flat gloss to “lock” the strips into place.

Michael

post-735-0-10462500-1464051775.jpegpost-735-0-15116700-1464051798_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-92956400-1464051809_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-02776000-1464051822.jpgpost-735-0-19903400-1464051837.jpgpost-735-0-35678800-1464051848.jpg

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

You've taken this to a whole new level of realism! It's hard to believe that the pulleys started as ones from the kit. The masts- wow!!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Dave, thanks for your nice posts always nice to hear from you. 

Buck, touched by your thoughts as well. You've also been such a kind visitor to this log - (PS you have also inspired me with your amazing amount of precise details in your log) as always cheers

Mates thanks for the likes, always encouraging indeed.

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

That is some really nice!! work Michael...... did you make your crew?

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Every time you update I am again just amazed with what you have done. Fantastic work Michael. I should keep a log of how many hours I spend looking at your photos for inspiration and guidance for my own build.

"A Smooth Sea NEVER made a Skilled Sailor"
- John George Hermanson 

-E.J.

Current Builds - Royal Louis - Mamoli

Royal Caroline - Panart

Completed - Wood - Le Soleil Royal - Sergal - Build Log & Gallery

La Couronne - Corel - Build Log & Gallery

Rattlesnake - Model Shipways, HMS Bounty - Constructo

Plastic - USS Constitution - Revel (twice), Cutty Sark.

Unfinished - Plastic - HMS Victory - Heller, Sea Witch.

Member : Nautical Research Guild

EJ_L

Your post is so touching - thanks so much, I'm so appreciative, and very happy that you find areas of help to you here in my log. Our hobby is certainly reciprocal in nature isn't it. My skill set, and I still have much to learn, has certainly also been helped by following and browsing other build logs here as well.

PS: Your hull planking, for example, I would love to eventually be able to emulate  (:-) 

PS: 2 Noted your colorful signature and copied your's the other day ha ha.....

PS: 3 Yes - I did join the NRG the other day (:-)

Respectfully,

Michael

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Hi Mates,

Frank, thank for your comments.

Thanks for likes, and dropping by (:-)

A few added small time consuming details, as I want to make sure that all needed items are in place before I attach the mainmast shrouds to their deadeyes.

Turns out that the pin rails that I had located at the quarterdeck were in error (first early photo). Fred Hocker said, “we got that wrong, those pin rails were added by mistake, it should have been kevels”

So pulled them out-did leave some scaring, and then put together a kevel for each side.

post-735-0-35573900-1464628778_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-36584800-1464628816_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-66602700-1464628835_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-36292900-1464628851_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-05262000-1464628871_thumb.jpg

Used black nylon fishing line so simulate the four mounting cleats.

post-735-0-57630700-1464628909_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-07368900-1464628951_thumb.jpg

Attached the served rope around the mainmast along with the triple pulley. Added a rope trim at the mast base.

post-735-0-04925500-1464629008_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-79598100-1464629106_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-64364000-1464629127_thumb.jpgpost-735-0-78557200-1464629160_thumb.jpg

Made up some single blocks for drilling into deck.

post-735-0-80273100-1464629208_thumb.jpg

Changed the attaching rope to the box for the capstan winding bars. (Though I think their shapes and lengths are amiss)

post-735-0-98305300-1464629256_thumb.jpg

Next need to;

Tidy up carriage ropes

Drill vertical holes for upper railing braces

Drill more holes for newly needed belaying pin locations

Make six fiddle blocks and shrouds for main mast stay.

Then I can proceed with the 18 shroud attachments.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Are you sure you are building the same scale model from Corel or is this in 1:35 instead of the original 1:75.

I see details on your model I cannot dream of, so perfect looking to the same on my Corel in 1:75.

Jan V. 

current build: Vasa-1628 Corel / Battle Station Mantua/Panart,

previous: Statenjacht / Cross section HMS Victory / diorama shipyard

Joe, thanks very nice of you - as always : cheers to you

Frank, Yes the Vasa is always coming up with changes as they "discover" more errors at the museum. Including the 1/10th photos below.

The knigntshead rails (just behind the mainmast has two versions); one with pins, and one without. I built mine without, so the railing is too thick to NOW drill holes for pins. It appears in one of those photos that the ropes are just wrapped around the railing. Its hard to really see details however.

Though the Corel sheets do indicate pin holes for both fore and main mast railings. Hmmm ??

JanV, So nice- thanks so much you are way too nice. So appreciated indeed.

Also thanks mates for dropping and taking a look - always appreciated.

post-735-0-93361000-1464803963_thumb.jpegpost-735-0-68845600-1464803988_thumb.jpeg

Edited by md1400cs

Michael

Under the table:

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

just spent a very enjoyable lunch break catching up on you log, thank you

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat