Hello from Central New York

ChuckP

Hi all,

I have been in pursuit of a hobby that I can embrace and have fun with. I came across model ship building and I hope I have found what I have been looking for. I have not done a model since a kid and they were horrible, I am now 68+.  I know these are challenging and rewarding if you succeed through the low moments of a build. My skill set is probably close to zero but i am going to give it a go. I ordered the Polaris from OCCRE and waiting for it to arrive. I chose it because of the videos. I doubt I could succeed without them. So just wanted to say hi and also let you know this ChuckP should never be confused with another Chuck on this forum. I can’t even believe the level of his and others workmanship I am seeing and I truly admire all who have the talent to do these. My first build may look like a disaster, but so be it. I am hoping I have the perseverance to pick myself up and continue going. Time will tell. One last note when I say Central New York, I am not talking about near Manhattan. We are near lake Ontario in the middle of snow country.  All the best to all of you.  Chuck

Chuck, welcome to MSW. Wishing you the best with your first build and please create a build log when you start your build. Glad to have you aboard. 

:sign:

Jump right in, those masters will help you with anything just ask. Yes start a build log of your ship or boat,  Most of all have fun building  cause it only gets funner and funner   You'll  SEE !!:cheers:

Edited by Knocklouder
I am guessing typos

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    Viking Ship Drakkar -Amati-1:50

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

1 hour ago, ChuckP said:

One last note when I say Central New York, I am not talking about near Manhattan. We are near lake Ontario in the middle of snow country.

Welcome aboard! I'm a California ex-pat myself, and I often tell people that I'm from the "other California", i.e. the parts that no one hears about.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix

:piratebo5:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome !  

1 hour ago, ChuckP said:

We are near lake Ontario in the middle of snow country

Up near Montague?  I'm originally from Rochester. Have a daughter in Buffalo. Who will win the Golden Snowball Award this season ? 🤔 

Hi Chuck and welcome to Model Ship World.  You have come to the right forum to learn about building wooden ship models.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Welcome aboard Chuck, a ditto to what others have said.  Sure sounds like you're introducing yourself into the hobby with the best possible attitude.  Keeping things in the proper perspective and accepting that some things are going to be a given (good or bad), or at least they're the nature of the beast due to one's experience/situation, probably will help keep you in your happy place during the most frustrating times of a build.  But never despair, you've got over 43,000 people here who, at one time or another, stood in the exact same place as you.  A newbie wanting to try something new because, for one reason or another, it just looks like it could be very fun, rewarding and satisfying.  Probably one of the biggest pieces of advice I can offer, never ever hesitate to ask questions.  No matter how silly or inane you think they may be, you really need to ask.  I'm sure you'll be surprised how helpful and supportive this bunch can be.  Everyone here really does want to help each other and takes great joy in seeing one succeed.  So be patient with yourself, have as much fun as you can and enjoy the voyage.   

Take care and be safe.

kev

Current Build:  HMS Bounty's Jolly Boat - Artesania Latina

On the shelf:  Oseberg #518 - Billing Boats

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

41 minutes ago, ChuckP said:

Hi Jack,  so long as it is not Oswego I am good with it.  Take care.

Is the lighthouse encased in ice yet ? 😉😉

Edited by Jack12477

1 hour ago, Roger Pellett said:

there is no “Central New York,” only “The City” and “Upstate”.  It’s nice to know that another distinctive region exists. 😆

Yes, there's several regions, Southern Tier, Western NY, Niagara Region, Finger Lakes region, Mohawk Valley Region,Capitol Region, Upper/Mid/Lower Hudson Valley, Adirondacks Region (the real "Upstate" 😉😊) also known as The North Country; and then there's "Downstate", basically everything south and east of Tappen Zee Bridge (Westchester, Manhattan, Long Island), or is it Spuyten Duyvil, I can never remember which!  😉😊😇

Edited by Jack12477

I'm originally from the Mohawk valley/ Adirondack region and still have family there. It always drives me crazy to hear people talking about "upstate" when they are talking about a town 20 miles north of NYC. 

Completed scratch build: The armed brig "Badger" 1777

Current scratch build: The 36 gun frigate "Unite" 1796

Completed kits: Mamoli "Alert", Caldercraft "Sherbourne"

My daughter grew up in two small cities:  Marietta, Ohio (pop 16000) and Duluth, MN (pop 85000).  Shortly after moving to NYC she mentioned that she was going “upstate” for the weekend. I assumed Syracuse, Rochester, or even Buffalo.  It was  Fishkill.  It didn’t take her long to start acting like she had lived in NYC her whole life.

By the way, Duluth, MN is the southern edge of the real North Country.😆

Roger

Edited by Roger Pellett

36 minutes ago, Roger Pellett said:

Shortly after moving to NYC she mentioned that she was going “upstate” for the weekend. ................  It was  Fishkill.  

post-33-0-42259900-1477505916.gif.b47670dcecb237bd9eaa450655908a3a.gif

4 hours ago, ChuckP said:

Hi Keith and thanks.  How do I start a build log?  Chuck

Have a look here:  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)