HMS Granado by ir3 - CAF - 1:48 - POF

I started my CAF Granado kit part 1 this weekend and was asked to start a build thread. Overall, Tom did a great job on both the manufacture of the kit and the instructions. This is a first effort for me on building and admiralty style ship model. I worked through step 7 of part 1 and just need to figure out part 8A-1 and 8A-2. I removed them without identifying which is which. I struggled with the CNC Router parts in that after sanding away the rough edges of the parts, the fit of one part to another left some slight gaps. Some needed a bit of filler made from sanding dust and some yellow glue. It did help somewhat. As far as the laser cut parts, very careful removal of the laser burns yielded parts in which once assembled, joined together very nicely with hardly any gaps to speak of. Throughout the build I will have to pay closer attention to laser burn removal and parts fit.

Any and all suggestions or observations will be welcomed.

P1050300.JPG

P1050301.JPG

P1050302.JPG

I too will follow along if I may, off to a nice start.  This kit definitely has my interest piqued for the future.  Are you going to build the split hull option?

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

going to follow along as well

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780); Admiralty models Echo cross-section (semi-scratch)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch); Off-Centre Sailing Skiff (scratch)

under the bench: MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Thank you,

The next update will be a while. In order to complete the assembly jig, a large number of frames must be made to guarantee alignment. They are very accurate representations of the frames with as few as two pieces to as many as 11. A lot to do.

Hey ir3 - Thanks for taking your build onto the forum.  You know I am going to be following along with you and Jeff and any others who opt to build this kit and make their work public.  You are already doing a great job, and I hope you get your unlabeled parts identified.  That will be lesson number 1 for me:  LABEL ALL PARTS BEFORE REMOVING.  I have miles to go on my Caldercraft Granado, but when complete, I am thinking I will bite the proverbial cannonball and do the split hull version of the CAF model.  It will be an endeavor that is way above my talent level, and it should keep me busy for the rest of my life and then some....  I wonder if Tom has a build log of the split hull version?  

Edited by HardeeHarHar

Thanks for tuning in. Lesson learned. The parts in question have been sorted and added per the frame location plan. They are positioned based on measurements taken directly from the plan. If not exact, I think they are close. This build is a first for me so it's learn as you go. 

P1050304.JPG

P1050305.JPG

P1050306.JPG

P1050307.JPG

14 hours ago, ir3 said:

Hi Jeff, I am including a photo. The parts are different and didn't think of marking them before remova.

P1050303.JPG

Ah. Ok. I'll check that.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Just now, JeffT said:

Ah. Ok. I'll check that.

Nevermind. Looks like you got it figured out

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Lots of frames to assemble. It's a bit deceptive as to how the frames are placed on the keel. For double thick frames what appears to be front, and back are labeled a and b. For triple thick frames, they are labeled a, b, and c, where a and c are outer surfaces and b is sandwiched between. The outer sides have fairing lines etched in. This provides a sanding line to both fair up the inside of the framework as well as the outside of the framework. Also, when building the frames, some parts have notches in them. Wondering why the notches are beveled a certain way, it turns out that the purpose is to create a larger gluing surface. The bevels in the notches have no functional use. It took a while to understand that. The picture shows frames 8 and 9 with sanding lines to shape the inner as well as outer part of the frame. I intend to finish sand the interior part of the frame and sand the outer part close and wait till the framework is finished before fine sanding. The single cant frame shows the bevel marks before sanding.

A lot of work but I am awe of the modelers that scratch build these frames admiralty style. Way above my pay grade. So, lots of frames to do. It takes a bunch of frames forward to aft to align the building jig. 

P1050308.JPG

I spent the day assembling the building jig. Just a few observations and cautions. In step 12 of the instructions, do NOT glue A and B onto baseboard. It will make it impossible to assemble the jig. It is just to make sure the stem and stern post are oriented correctly. I am not too sure about step 13 as there shouldn't be any ribs/frames assembled yet. After steps 14, 15 and 16 make sure the assembled keel still fits. I didn't and it took me quite a while to sand and adjust the slots to get it to fit. I couldn't figure out how to get the keel into the jig. Parts C13 and C14 have dashed lines laser cut into them. The stem goes underneath C14 to lock it into place. When the ribs/frames are installed the only way to get the hull out of the jig is to cut along the dashed lines. This will allow the entire hull to be lifted out. Assembling steps 17 - 19 may take a bit of fitting. Although the pieces are very close to matching, assembly tolerances will require some fine tuning to get the pieces together. The assembly of the jig stretched my patience, but it is finally together.

P1050310.JPG

P1050311.JPG

P1050312.JPG

Wow!  That sounded tedious, thank you for your build log and perseverance!

Sorry to all that have been following my attempt at building this model. It is way above my building skills, and I just cannot continue building. It is not enjoyable for me anymore. I think CAF did a very good job designing this kit, but it takes a craftsman with a lot more skills than I have to build. Thanks for the encouragement and the likes. This is just not going to happen.

No apologies needed amigo, you know what works for you.  I’m glad you know yourself and what you really want to do.  I’m on your side, and understand your decision.

I agree with the others.  Do just set it aside for now.  You'll have a better idea and skills and will know when to restart.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

It is a shame that you feel that way, I am myself doing the CAF HMS Granado and on section 20 where the stem, Keel, Stern are now in the jig ready for the frames. And you may be surprised that this is my firs model as well. I have been wanting to do one for nearly 40 years and just getting round to it. I have looked at all the modellers’ sites MSW & SOS and seen every body’s posts. The tools I have bought in the last few weeks (don’t tell the wife) but the one thing I have learnt is patience, look at a section in the manual do not move on until you are sure of what to do. Remember that at the back of the manual is shows where every part is before cutting them out.

I am on section 20, pieces 5K 5L-1 to 5L-4 require sanding it is 53# that are a challenge. Get the art of these and you will crack it.

Angles need to be sanded, do not try to do this by hand unless you are an expert. Both pieces must be sanded at the same angle to give a good joint, I going to use a angled machine vice give me the angle. It does not matter if the angle is say 40 or 41 or 42 degrees for example as both parts have to be the same. I will the use a milling head (a drill stand will do) and slowly cut the parts away using a small milling bit or router bit Dremmal type to give a joint.  Before I do it, I will take some scrap and see if it works and try again until I get it right. This is the fun part, finding a solution. The vice arrives hopefully tomorrow, I will take pictures of how I do it, in fact I will post all the build for all to see.

Don’t give up, it will get better.

Sand1.png

Thanks for the encouragement from all the responders. I am always a bit hasty by fault. CAF is sending some new parts and when they arrive, I will give it another try. They are currently held up in China Post and it may be weeks before they move through the system. 

1 hour ago, ir3 said:

Thanks for the encouragement from all the responders. I am always a bit hasty by fault. CAF is sending some new parts and when they arrive, I will give it another try. They are currently held up in China Post and it may be weeks before they move through the system. 

Glad to hear that.

Jeff

In progress:

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

9 hours ago, Mozartman said:

I will take pictures of how I do it, in fact I will post all the build for all to see.

I'm going to suggest that you open a log of your own.

8 hours ago, ir3 said:

I too am very happy to hear that including the new parts.   Sometimes models are like cats.... we have to out stubborn them.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

19 hours ago, Mozartman said:

I will take pictures of how I do it, in fact I will post all the build for all to see.

@Mozartman YAY, puhlease do start a build log for others to reference!!!  It will be both helpful and inspirational for those who follow along (me :-).  

@ir3 YAY, I’m happy you are still pursuing this model, and glad to hear CafModel is supportive of your efforts!!!

• 3 months later...

I am back on the Granado build. I received new parts for 5K and 5L but installing them was a real headache. They are in but need a lot of work to get them right. Frames 53 sort of fit so some work to do there. I decided to make some frames to learn how to get the frames in the jig and how the various types of frames are assembled. I started with a mid-ships frame and found the following problem. The frame is 13mm wide and the plan shows they should be 13mm wide. The notch in the keel is 12.5mm. Do I narrow the frame or widen the notch. Widening the notch seems to be the best solution. Also, trying to put the frame in the jig, it just does not clear and it is going to take too much force to get the frame in place. This will make it difficult to remove after all the dry fitting. How have you building this model dealt with these issues.

P1050362.JPG