a really big working model

Alex-Ks1

I always built big, its easy and you can work with large air tools,   for instance , I always wanted a Lotus 7 , I drove one when I was in Europe in the 60s, So last year I decided to build one,  Just like any model you start with plans. then make you layouts, then go to work, I bought the Lotus 7 plans and went to work, It is a full size working car, scary fast. Here are some photos, 

So far I have had it up to 120 MPH and as low as it sits, it feels faster.  The v-6 is 3.4 LT. GM. @ 280 HP. but it only weighs 1350 LBS; Every where I drive it I get looks and waves, One kid in a crappy mustang was revving it engine at a light , all i said was  ' reconsider "  It was just like building the model ships I make 

20220114_142038[322].jpg

20220115_155139[333].jpg

20220119_143823[331].jpg

20220118_084901[329].jpg

20220221_131251[346].jpg

20220311_123835[351].jpg

20220318_103139[355].jpg

20220413_082003[369].jpg

20220702_160816[395].jpg

20220708_094154[403].jpg

20221008_090357[487].jpg

thumbnail_20220810_084329.jpg

thumbnail_20220819_093233.jpg

20221231_115907[597].jpg

Very nice!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

That's a nice hot rod. Fiberglass skin?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

wow-- nice work-- I had the chance to drive one a few times on a race track--- scared the hell out of me LOL... the sensation of speed was mind blowing,....

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

7 hours ago, Ian B said:

wow-- nice work-- I had the chance to drive one a few times on a race track--- scared the hell out of me LOL... the sensation of speed was mind blowing,....

Yes indeed the original from 57 had a 65 hp 4 cylinder engine from a Ford Cortina , and  has 3 times he power and will burn rubber n all 4 gears , So much torque  for got I was n 5th gear at a light and just drove away when I turned green

Edited by Alex-Ks1

Wow... that is impressive.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

In the states the state officials hate cars like this No way to set a tax rate, The inspector who inspected mine liked it so much he passed it on the first try. Took photos of it for him self, All the registration tax office wanted to see was a bill of sale for the motor I bought for it, and a VIN number it came from, then my fee  was a silly 125$ , for the tag, and paper work,   The fun of driving it ?   priceless 

Where I live, all you would need is the bill of materials and the vin for the car the engine came out of.... They would assign it a new VIN and then title and register it... Although the assessor will argue over value, generally it would be valued at the cost of the materials to build it....

Easy easy way to get a hot car for little money.... 

The P/W for that must be just under a light crotch rocket, with twice the traction.... {BSEG)

Edited by Egilman

Current Build: F-86F-30 Sabre by Egilman - Kinetic - 1/32nd scale

In the Garage: East Bound & Down, Building a Smokey & the Bandit Kenworth Rig in 1/25th scale

Completed: M8A1 HST  1930 Packard Boattail Speedster  M1A1 75mm Pack Howitzer  F-4J Phantom II Bell H-13's P-51B/C

Temporary Suspension: USS Gwin DD-433  F-104C Starfighter "Blue Jay Four" 1/32nd Scale

Terminated Build: F-104C Starfighter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

"Relish Today, Ketchup Tomorrow"

A university friend of mine some 40+ years ago built a side-car for his antique BMW motorcycle from scratch. He got somewhere the original plans and some parts, such as bearings and the wheel, but the rest was built from scratch. Somehow he managed to sell it to the licensing authorities as a restored/recovered original ... I had a lot of trust in his engineering capabilties - have been the first passenger in it 😇

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

its all about collecting tax money, in other words,  " how can we screw you today "  point in fact, a family here where i live has had a 1904 Oldsmobile since new, its been in the family that long, Now, because when the grandfather bought it, there was no titling of motor vehicles at all not even license plates. Just a bill of sale from Chicago where he bought it. He can not get it registered with an antique tag because it never had a VIM number, just a body number,  3 numbers I think. It still runs and has only been painted a few times, the body is wood, a 1 cylinder engine .  Soooo he has to trailer it to shows . stupid government BS . So simple, I always wanted to make a copy of it 

revised about the Oldsmobile , they did get a title for it. It took hops of fire to jump through, and its finally titled as a horseless carriage/ and  it does have a TAG. so he can drive it on the streets . It does smoke and its original UNTOUCHED ENGINE but its over a 110 years old, try that with your KIA.   LOLOLOL