Elementary school clear glue?

17 minutes ago, modeller_masa said:

Does anyone know any cautions about using the clear glues that are sold everywhere?

The material safety data sheet ("MSDS") is the first stop in checking out any material. This stuff is safe for kids to eat. Some of us learned this firsthand in kindergarten with the paste version. :D See: https://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/wc-prod-pim/Asset_Documents/Elmer's Clear Glue SDS.pdf

I learned in early childhood that whatever made my mother yell, "That could put your eye out!" was probably was the most fun. I've always applied a corollary to this principle to materials in my workshop: if somebody says the material is hazardous or environmentally unfriendly, I assume it is the better choice for the job than the "safe and sane," "environmentally friendly," or "green" options that have been "dumbed down" for use by people who can't be trusted not to eat or drink the stuff. . 

The Mont Marte is the best one.

The Elmer’s has water in it which can warp card models.

I have never had an issue with long term durability, but my oldest surviving wood model is only 13 years old.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

20 hours ago, Bob Cleek said:

if somebody says the material is hazardous or environmentally unfriendly, I assume it is the better choice for the job

With extra points if it's banned in California.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

I never gave much thought to glues.  I have several models that I built 40-50 years ago.  All were built using “yellow” hardware store glues;  Elmer’s.  All have held up fine with NO glue failures.  I still use PVA “yellow” glue for wood-wood joints.  Our Local stores stock Titebond.

Roger

3 hours ago, Gregory said:

With extra points if it's banned in California.

Absolutely! I'm a Californian and I can attest that getting "banned' materials here is something of an art form. Fortunately, Nevada, a decidedly environmentally unfriendly jurisdiction is just across the border about 200 miles away.  

When it smells, than it is good and works  🤪

My father was a chemist (and I am a half-chemist too) and he taught me early on respect for chemicals, but not to have fear ...

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

13 hours ago, wefalck said:

My father was a chemist (and I am a half-chemist too) and he taught me early on respect for chemicals, but not to have fear ..

Respect them, don't fear them.  Such good advice, for many things, like, for instance, cars or firearms,

Richard

Richard

On 6/10/2023 at 6:20 AM, wefalck said:

When it smells, than it is good and works  🤪

My father was a chemist (and I am a half-chemist too) and he taught me early on respect for chemicals, but not to have fear ...

Johnny was a chemist, he isn't anymore.  Johnny drank some H2O, no - H2SO4.

Completed builds:  Khufu Solar Barge - 1:72 Woody Joe

Current project(s): Gorch Fock restoration 1:100, Billing Wasa (bust) - 1:100 Billings, Great Harry (bust) 1:88 ex. Sergal 1:65