Great Photo Etched Saw Blades

Had a question during this morning's Virtual Workshop on where to get the type of saw shown in the photo below.  This tool guy has a lot on neat stuff.  Visited one the NRG Conferences as a vendor and loves the way we buy tools!  He's a member of my local IPMS club.

image.png.91edcc9fe643c4dd60cc1bcefa1ad1b3.png

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS

CLUBS

Nautical Research & Model Ship Society of Chicago

Midwest Model Shipwrights

North Shore Deadeyes

The Society of Model Shipwrights

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

Amazon has the handles and blades. MicroMark is retailing them through Amazon. It's worth checking out Amazon's price comparison feature. They are selling for considerably less on Zoro, if Amazon's price comparison is accurate. If you are an Amazon Prime member, you can probably get free shipping on it through Amazon.

What is the actual name of the tool for the purpose of searching on Amazon?

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

5 hours ago, Gregory said:

What is the actual name of the tool for the purpose of searching on Amazon?

Sorry. I broke my own rule of always posting a link when citing an online source! My bad! :D 

Here you go. Amazon sells the blades and handles separately for some unknown reason. DISCLAIMER: I cannot tell from the Amazon listing whether this saw and blades are the same as those mentioned in Kurt's earlier posts in this thread. Amazon identifies the seller as MicroMark, but I notice that the blades in the photo Kurt posted have some labeling on them and the blades Amazon has pictured don't. It's certainly not difficult to knock off this item, so buyer beware. There be pirates in these waters.

Wood Handle For Ultra Fine Saw Blades - Amazon.com

Amazon.com: Ultra Fine Saw Blade (Pack of 5) : Tools & Home Improvement

Extra Long Micro Miter Box - Amazon.com

Note that I also posted the link to the suitable micro-sized miter box. These narrow-kerfed blades tend to wander in a wider miter box slot, thereby failing to cut at an accurate angle. Of course, all of this is academic for those who have already saved up and bought their Byrnes table saw. :D 

Edited by Bob Cleek

I was the one who asked the question in yesterday's NRG Virtual Workshop, Kurt, and thanks to all for the additional links and suggestions!

I've had MicroMark's larger Miter Box for Razor Saw (micromark.com) for a long time, but was intrigued by the "compactness" of the one mentioned yesterday.  Appreciate the follow-up, Kurt!  And others! 

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

Santa Maria Caravelle 1:48 - Ships of Pavel Nikitin

That tiny miter box for this razor saw is pretty small. Recommend you screw it down to a larger piece of wood with a pair of flat head screws. Then you can clamp the whole assembly down to your workbench. 

I think these saws came from the Czech Republic. The aircraft and armor folks have used them for years. I hold/clamp a steel straightedge to a car body and cut against that. Very narrow kerf.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

The saw I showed earlier came from UMM-USA.  The guy that owns UMM-USA is from the Czech Republic - still has a very strong accent.  He was the original importer.  He has a lot of his unique products made over there by close friends.  He is a great guy and is helping a lot of friends who are still there.  I try to give him my business so he can continue to keep some  of the companies back there to stay in business. 

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

2 hours ago, Jaager said:

Ahhhh, and these guys are practically in my backyard!  Well, technically across the river in another state... but they're close! 

Gregg

Current Projects:                                                     Completed Projects:                                                                 Waiting for Shipyard Clearance:

Bluenose 1921 1:64 - Model Shipways                   Norwegian Sailing Pram 1:12 - Model Shipways                    Yacht America Schooner 1851 1:64 - Model Shipways

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 - Model Shipways        RMS Titanic 1:300 - OcCre  (Couldn't help myself when it was on sale)

H.M. Schooner Ballahoo 1:64 - Caldercraft                             USS Constitution  1:76 - Model Shipways

On 10/16/2023 at 2:01 PM, kurtvd19 said:

The saw I showed earlier came from UMM-USA.  The guy that owns UMM-USA is from the Czech Republic - still has a very strong accent.  He was the original importer.  He has a lot of his unique products made over there by close friends.  He is a great guy and is helping a lot of friends who are still there.  I try to give him my business so he can continue to keep some  of the companies back there to stay in business. 

Thanks for the tip about UMM-USA, Kurt! I checked their website and was impressed by the wide range of tools they offered. I noted that the PE'd razor saw pictured above has a range of differently sized blades which UMM-USA offers, as well as a lot of other PE'd micro-saw blades, like micro-keyhole saws and the like. A quick scan of UMM-USA's tools section gives me the impression that their prices are very reasonable. It was also apparent that they emphasize plastic modeling, but their tool offerings are applicable to wooden ship modeling as well. 

I'm surprised UMM-USA is a MSW advertiser! 

Here is a link to the wood handle at UMM-USA

https://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_28&products_id=35&osCsid=f9dc1861e067b4dd5620358510e5bd49

A variety of blades and other cutting tools here:

https://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/index.php?cPath=21_28&osCsid=f9dc1861e067b4dd5620358510e5bd49

P.S.

I was going through my ship modeling bookmarks and discovered this:

30 Years Anniversary JLC Micro Saw Pack

JLC004 - 30 Years Anniversary JLC Micro Saw Pack

I forgot I had bookmarked that and never got around to ordering it..  I will, now.  Looks like a great value at $22.95 .

Edited by Gregory

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

• 2 weeks later...

I have bought quite a few items from John Vojtech, the quality is better than what I expected.
Have been using the saw for many years without noticing any wear of the blade.

I prefer to give him my shopping spree instead of Amazon or Micro-Mark.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I agree-- Shop local when possible.

Kurt Van Dahm

Director

NAUTICAL RESEARCH GUILD

www.thenrg.org

CLUBS

North Shore Deadeyes

Butch O'Hare - IPMS

So, just a quick update and acknowledgement... After Kurt's initial post here providing additional information regarding my query during the NRG Virtual Workshop a few Saturdays ago, and several other members' agreement on the quality of the product, I got on John Votech's UMM-USA website this afternoon and ordered the Micro Saw Pack.  I received an email acknowledgement of the order at 6:51PM, and at 7:12PM I received a notice that a USPS tracking number had been assigned to the shipment! What great customer service!  And, just before I came on here to give him kudos, I sent John a personal thank you email for his speed and, while typing this post, received another thank you from him for doing business with him.  All over one simple purchase.  Those are the people we continue to work with!  Thanks, Kurt, for the info! 

Gregg

• 2 months later...