Model Expo Electric Plank Bender

I purchased an Electric Plank Bender from Model Expo and thought I should share my purchase and initial experience. I have never used anything like this for bending planks, but I thought it may be useful to post on how well it works for me. Also, please keep in mind my experience in model ship building is very low and this post reflects a few initial attempts. The bender retails for $41.99, but like most of Model Expo's products you can always find it on sale fairly often. I paid $21.99 plus tax, S&H for a total of ~$32. The bender looks like a modified soldering iron with a heat shield (very hot) and a heat sink on the end of the iron that gets even hotter.

Below is a picture of what arrived; instructions, electric bender, small dia. wood dowel and a three piece wood form. The wood dowel allows you to assemble the three wood forms into one thicker form. I have yet to sand the form to get rid of any mis-match, but sanding needs are very minimal. I'm sure one can use any form that provides the needed contour providing you keep aware of the heat your dealing with for potential fire or burns to material or yourself.

As I plugged in the bender, I realized it did not come with any type of stand to lay it on while hot, so I quickly set up a temporary stand until I come up with what will probably be made of bent wire. I soaked two pieces of bass wood for 20 minutes in hot water and managed to bend and dry a nice curve using the provided wood form in less than a minute, I also contoured a plank I needed for my ship which also took less than a minute. I held the ship plank on the hull using small clamps to hold in place at the shape I needed and applied the iron to dry it out – all very quick . You can easily burn the wood if you hold it in place too long. Prior to the iron I would clamp a wet piece of wood in place and wait until the next day for it to air dry. So far, a great improvement in reducing time for plank bending.

I believe more use and different bending needs are needed to determine the overall benefit.

post-277-0-02732000-1379170379_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-92320400-1379170379_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-85981000-1379170496_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-72286900-1379170497_thumb.jpg

post-277-0-74480500-1379170498_thumb.jpg

Regards,

Larry

----------------------------------------------------

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

George W Washburn - 1890 Tugboat

Future Builds

18th Century Longboat by MS

HM Cutter Cheerful

Wappen Von Hamburg by Corel

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Larry,

Thank you for your review of the Model Expo Plank Bender.  I also purchased one a few months ago when it was on sale.

One thing I found, and you may have already experienced this, is that the charring on the bending form may come off and embed in your planks.  This was easily solved by sanding the form to remove the charred layer.  You will also produce an even surface across the form via this sanding.

As you gain experience you can make your own forms to achieve other bending processes.  As you mentioned, the iron does get very hot and cannot be laid on any surface.  A wire stand, bent from a coat hanger, will let you support the iron during use.

Happy modeling!

Jack

Builds:

Bluenose  (Model Shipways 1:100)

Cutty Sark (Mini Mamoli)

Mayflower (Model Shipways)

Queen Anne's Revenge

Ghostbusters Proton Pack

Larry an easier and safer way is to put your iron into a vice.  Wet your piece of wood and bend it over the iron.  After some practice you will be able to bend almost any shape.

David B

Edited by dgbot

Your welcome Jack. Yes, I did get some char transfer, but I'll sand it off as you suggested.

Take care,

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

If your not making mistakes, your not challenging yourself – my life has been full of challenges :)

Larry an easier and safer way is to put your iron into a vice.  Wet your piece of wood and bend it over the iron.  After some practice you will be able to bend almost any shape.

David B

Thanks David. I didnot think of that method. I'll give it a try.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

A nice addition for any type of heated plank bender (I use ME's also along with an Aeropiccola bender) is this temp control. I found one on eBay for a very reasonable price--they're spendy if you purchase one new. However, it's really nice for ensuring you don't scorch or too quickly dry out wood you're forming a bend in.

http://products.mmnewman.com/item/hot-tools/dial-temp-for-hot-tools/item-1782?

post-4129-0-66480600-1379173661.jpg

post-4129-0-95664400-1379173649.jpg

Jay

Current Build:

Nice idea. Never knew that this was on the market. Thanks again for letting us know about this.

Your welcome Joe. It"s amazing how many ideas and solutions are developed and shared on MSW after an initial post. there are a lot of ingenious people on our forum.

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

the model expo plank bender 110 volt I presume ?  We run 240 volt down here.  I could get a power adapter.

Hi Brian,

I looked on model expo this morning and they say an adapter is needed. I noticed it's on sale again for $21 USD. Here is the link to this item : http://www.modelexpo-online.com/product.asp?ITEMNO=MS7205

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Hi everyone,

I have been using ME's plank bender for many years. (my 3rd one due to burn out). Besides doing a good job in bending planks, I also use it to "iron" the second layer planks onto the first not needing to use clamps, nails etc. I do use 2 types of glue to do this: CA glue in small drops at stress points(front end, severe bends etc.), wood glue (very thin) for the rest of the plank. Any discoloration of planks is easy to sand off, excess glue is wiped off quickly with a damp rag.

Kind regards,

Ulrich

Hi Ulrich,

Thanks for sharing. :) Approximately how long do the plank benders last until burnout?

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

The first one was an Aeropiccolo brand that "broke" at the bottom of the shaft due to its "vent" holes and its flimsy construction. I guess, I put too much pressure on it while bending or "ironing". The second (ME's current version) lasted for quite some time, it all depends on how often and how long it is in use and how long it stays heated up. I think the resistors will burn out just like with light bulbs? My current tool (ME) is still doing fine but I believe a temperature controller would extend its life. I also have made my own  stand for it using wire fastened to a wooden base.

Regards,

Ulrich

Thanks Joe! The funny thing is that I knew that, but it was tucked so far back in my memory I've completely forgotten. :D :d :D

Regards,

Larry

Current Build

US Brig Niagara

Completed Builds

Future Builds

HM Cutter Cheerful

Used one of those irons when I was building RC model airplanes.  They actually have a fairly good temperature control.

Here is an address for the ones carried by Tower Hobbies:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0095p?FVPROFIL=&FVSEARCH=%3Cb%3Ecovering%3C%2Fb%3E+%3Cb%3Eiron%3C%2Fb%3Es

They range in price from about $20 to $50.

Jack

Builds:

Cutty Sark (Mini Mamoli)

Queen Anne's Revenge

Ghostbusters Proton Pack

I bought one of these a few years ago and it lasted about a year before it burned out. But, I was able to buy a cheap Radio Shack soldering iron and swap its tip for this one's large tip. It works great, and the nice thing about the RS iron is that it has a light on it so I can see if it is still plugged in when I am finished for the night.

My luthier's shop has a big bench top version for bending the side wood of the guitar bodies.

They say a good bending temperature is between 350°-400°.

They also use a spring steel strap backing the wood, trapping the moisture and minimizing splitting.

Per

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought one of these Model Expo Plank Benders and after reading this blog decided to only use the tool with wet strips of towel material under and over my rather thick strips. The result is a steam effect that doesn't char the wood and gives me decent bends in a few minutes. Frankly, I thought it would bend my planks like spagetti, but I guess they don't make magic bending tools.

Rich

USS Constitution hipexec

I have that same plank bender, but found later that this item works better and it's cheaper.

This curve was made without soaking the wood.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050QLCSI/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It works better for me.  :)

post-975-0-53876500-1381643908_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-46695800-1381643925_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-29099400-1381643942_thumb.jpg

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

I'm with Ulises, and am a big fan of the curling iron method.   Just make sure you buy your own and don't take the Admiral's.  :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Wow....I'm impressed.  Why didn't I think of that Ulises!?  My wife has several of these laying around the house.

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October

Was going to post a question about this plank bender but a quick search of the forums led me here, so instead of starting a new thread, I'll just ask it here.

Essentially, I purchased an electric plank bender from Model Expo (same one seen in the pics on this thread) and I noticed that the first time I plugged it in to use it, it started smoking from where the metal rod meets the plastic handle. I'm just wondering, did this happen to you guys when you first plugged yours in? I'm a little concerned that if I let it heat up fully it will set itself on fire.

Thanks,

John

Was going to post a question about this plank bender but a quick search of the forums led me here, so instead of starting a new thread, I'll just ask it here.

Essentially, I purchased an electric plank bender from Model Expo (same one seen in the pics on this thread) and I noticed that the first time I plugged it in to use it, it started smoking from where the metal rod meets the plastic handle. I'm just wondering, did this happen to you guys when you first plugged yours in? I'm a little concerned that if I let it heat up fully it will set itself on fire.

Thanks,

John

I know the US model uses 110v, I'm not sure what Qubec uses.

I've ordered one for Australia that uses 240V, and have a transformer to drop it to 110V

Maybe that could be the issue if you rub a higher voltage ?

Cheers

Current Build - US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64 - 1st wood build

Armed Virginia Sloop with complimentary 8x paint MS paint set - Model Shipways - Ordered 31st October 2013

Victory Cross Section - Corel - Ordered 15th October

My Model Expo bender hasn't smoked at all.  I did notice a smell from the plastic the first two times I used it, but there was no smoking.

I absolutely am going to try the curling iron!

Edited by Jack Tar

Jack

Builds:

Cutty Sark (Mini Mamoli)

Queen Anne's Revenge

Ghostbusters Proton Pack

It is just a regular soldering iron with a much larger "tip". In fact, when mine crapped out, I removed the tip and screwed it into a regular soldering iron, and it has been working great ever since.