G'day from Melbourne, Australia!

G'day everybody from Melbourne, Australia.

I'm currently working on a new version of the Artesania Latina Virginia 1819 - The one that doesn't include the strip wood that covers the initial hull planking. e.g. you sand and fill the hull and paint it. The cheapo version I guess.

It was interesting to see some people post warnings about knowing your limits and what you've getting into. This is not my first wood model. I have previously built a Guilllows DC-3 as my first wood model. It took about two years with some breaks to build but I finally got it to a stage where I thought it was finished. I didn't cover it because I just liked the structure of the plane and I felt I didn't need to go any further with it and I was satisfied with the result even if it's missing it's ailerons.

Artesania Latina classes the Virgina 1819 as an "Initiation Ship" but I think it's far from that. It's more like an "Intermediate" or more advanced project where you've had a bit of time working with wood and have all the tools. I'm sure you all know, once you get into it, you end up spending more on tools and supplies than the model costs when you start out.

What I think I'm missing at this stage is the wisdom and advice of all you other model ship builders out there. I've figured out everything on my own to this stage but it's a bad decision on my part because you learn very slowly that way so that's why I'm doing this intro post!

I've currently got the hull and deck built. I have made a few mistakes where I've sanded too far through some veneer wood. The sanding and filling has been very time consuming and it's hard to know where to stop. It's getting to the point where I'm getting a bit bored with the project early on. Particularly the hull and sanding/fairing in general. but I'm committed to finishing this model so let me know if it would be OK for me to post a build log.

I'm hoping to enter the model into a local model competition and said to one of my work colleges that I'm hoping to achieve something close to museum quality but I think I've got a long way to go. I've commonly run into this forum and the level of work and advice here is amazing!

Thanks for reading my post and I hope to be a good contributing member of this forum.

IMG_1274.jpeg

Welcome to MSW ! Good luck with your project. I am sure you will receive lots of useful advice.

-‐-‐--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Build Hayling Hoy 1760 - First POF scratch build

Completed HMB Endeavour's Longboat by Artesania Latina

Completed HM Armed Cutter Alert by Vanguard Models

Completed 18ft cutter and 34ft launch by Vanguard Models

Completed Pen Duick by Artesania Latina

:sign:

This is the place to be  :cheers:.

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                 Hannah Ship in Bottle-Amati 1:300 : The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20

Current Build:   The Mayflower: Amati 

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

:piratebo5:

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Welcome to MSW,.  By all means, start a log for your ship.  It's the best way to get help and also meet others.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to Model Ship World, fortunate to have visited Melbourne, with my wife, on a business trip.  The people were great and we enjoyed the Great Ocean Road.  Judy loved the fresh fruits and vegetables.

Have fun with your ship model!

Cheers,

-Rich

Super warm welcome from half way across our planet.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, ERS Rich said:

Welcome to Model Ship World, fortunate to have visited Melbourne, with my wife, on a business trip.  The people were great and we enjoyed the Great Ocean Road.  Judy loved the fresh fruits and vegetables.

Have fun with your ship model!

Cheers,

-Rich

Hey Rich,

Glad you enjoyed your time in this part of Australia. The Great Ocean Road and that area is definitely a nice part of Victoria Australia. Hope you make it back here again!

I really enjoyed America when I visited LA and San Fransisco on a business trip. I wish i had the chance to travel a bit further over there but I just didn't have the time. Overall, the people I met there were really genuine and nice people and that's what counts.

Hope to visit soon.

Edited by binchicken

There are contemporary profile and deck plans of an Ex Virginia pilot schooner 1794 renamed Swift on the RMG Collections site that is the same length as the 1819 Virginia.  I have no idea if this is keeping with your Virginia in design otherwise.   https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/search/Virginia pilot plans     There are numerous gun boat and schooner plans on the RMG Collections site that you might want to research to see if any of them are similar to the kit model.  

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/5/2024 at 3:20 AM, allanyed said:

There are contemporary profile and deck plans of an Ex Virginia pilot schooner 1794 renamed Swift on the RMG Collections site that is the same length as the 1819 Virginia.  I have no idea if this is keeping with your Virginia in design otherwise.   https://www.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/search/Virginia pilot plans     There are numerous gun boat and schooner plans on the RMG Collections site that you might want to research to see if any of them are similar to the kit model.  

Allan

Thanks Allan. Will check them out. Would be interesting to see any details that I might be able to add to it.