HMS Sphinx 1775 by cdrusn89 - Vanguard Models - 1/64

I got the upper outer bulwarks curved and glued on (mostly).

When I started to fit the lower band I noticed that the lower part on each side right at the bow was not glued down so I added some more PVA and clamped them as best I could (you can see the clamps in the pictures) and will continue fitting the lower band when this is dry.

I also managed to get the little tab that is part of the gun port door on the forward lower part on one side bent outward a bit so I re-wet that part and clamped it straight (hopefully) and will let that dry too - I only wet the part on both sides I did not soak it so (hopefully) I will not have to wait overnight again.

IMG_1245.jpeg

IMG_1246.jpeg

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

Current Builds -  HMS Sphinx 1775

Prior Builds:  HMS Winchelsea

USF Confederacy

After I added the outer patterns to the stem and keel it became obvious that there was a small gap between - wide enough that paint was not going to hide it so I added some filler (on both sides) and since this area will be painted I hope the gap may disappear.

IMG_1248.thumb.jpeg.6401c81e696cf5f897cdc6b612c06f9d.jpeg

So  the next step is the outer counter "pattern". And it is thin enough that there is no need of soaking and shaping so it is just a matter of finding a way to clamp it to the inner pattern and "stick" to the curvature. I had to use four clamps and several rubber bands. The rubber bands (with pieces of sanding sticks under them) to get the upper (actually the lower with the hull upright) edges to match the lower pattern.

IMG_1249.thumb.jpeg.31aad8f03a2af4054ebee1b1cbec512c.jpeg

You may notice that the entire counter is slightly offset to the right (in the picture). The offset is about 1mm wide and I am sure it is going to cause no end of problems later. In addition the counter upper (in the picture) corners stick out about 3mm from the hull. Once the second layer of planking is in place I assume these will be sanded down to match the hull curvature.

Anyway, with the upper and lower external bulwarks and the first to rows of planking in place it is time to start the second layer of planking hoping for smoother results that the first layer.

Here is my version of steps 180 and 181 in the instruction manual.

IMG_1252.jpeg

IMG_1253.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

I added two full length, un-tapered planks at the wales similar to what was done on the first layer but only two rows as the starting point is further down the hull.

Then I soaked both ends of two slightly shortened planks and clamped them on each side.

These will become the garboard strake and then I plan on laying out the hull similarly to what was done on the first layer. Probably overkill. First task is to establish the bulkhead locations but that should not be too hard as most of them are still visible at deck level.

IMG_1254.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

3 hours ago, cdrusn89 said:

I added two full length, un-tapered planks at the wales similar to what was done on the first layer but only two rows as the starting point is further down the hull.

Then I soaked both ends of two slightly shortened planks and clamped them on each side.

These will become the garboard strake and then I plan on laying out the hull similarly to what was done on the first layer. Probably overkill. First task is to establish the bulkhead locations but that should not be too hard as most of them are still visible at deck level.

IMG_1254.jpeg

Beautiful work!

Thanks - JFM - It is somewhat easier the second time around.

Best laid plans and all that. I thought that two sheer planks and one garboard would "do" but when I measured it was 100mm at the widest point and the pear planks are only 4mm wide (first layer was 5mm) so it would take 25 planks to cover the hull.

Unfortunately my planking fan is only good for a max of 24 planks so I added one more, full width at the sheer and garboard and now can proceed to line off the starboard side.

IMG_1255.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

Starboard side lined off and plank butt pattern established (red "x"). Probably overkill but since it makes it easier at the ends to have the joints they might as well have some "order".

IMG_1256.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

On to the second layer of planking.

Before I lined off the hull I measured what I thought was a representative sample of the pear planks and used that measurement 4.0mm + or - .06mm) to get the number of required planks.

Turns out my representative sample wasn't all that representative as I have since found 10 (so far) that are more like 3.85mm + or - .08mm. If they were all like that I would need more than 25 planks to cover the hull. I also found at least two that are decidedly (like 1mm) narrower at one end than the other.

IMG_1257.thumb.jpeg.515f762afcc8f53572cbdfec8e549e95.jpeg

So I am in the process of separating (as best I can) the 4mm planks from the 3.8mm ones (and of course the ones that narrow at one end).

I started planking the starboard side with the 4mm planks and I need to find enough (hopefully) to finish that side and then I will line off the port side using 3.8mm as the nominal plank width assuming the planks are more or less evenly split between the two widths.

The moral of the story is to use the same plank width for each row - you want them the same width where they join.

In any event here is the starboard side with four more rows of sheer planks installed.

IMG_1258.jpeg

Edited by cdrusn89

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy

I got carried away on the starboard side and am now half finished: 12 of 24 rows completed. It is going considerably better than the first layer but I have to keep reminding myself that this layer "shows" at least some of it REALLY shows.

IMG_1262.thumb.jpeg.ee739a97bb2e48a256560bb3fb51d037.jpeg

I did not neglect the port side completely I did get it line off and plank butts marked.

Tomorrow is "port side day".

IMG_1261.jpeg

Thanks,

Gary

USF Confederacy