Lowell Grand Banks Dory by Capt. Kelso - FINISHED - Model Shipways - 1:24 - DIORAMA

Started this build approximately six weeks ago, it's my first build log. As a volunteer at Mystic Seaport Museum, I regularly pass a Dory exhibit and I thought it would make an interesting subject for a Diorama. My original thought was to recreate the scene in the photo, the boat tied to the dock. However, my biggest concern was modelling the water. If I mess that up, the project fails! Another option I considered was to build a scene of a Dory on a Schooner. So, that's my plan.

Decided the base would be a section of deck, the last Dory being prepared for launch from the L. A. Dunton Gloucester Fishing Schooner, circa 1923 (currently undergoing full restoration at Mystic Seaport Museum) for daily fishing. The Dunton carried 10 Dory's stacked five high, port and starboard. She had a crew of 24, Captain, 3 crew, and 20 fisherman (2 per Dory).

Dories could carry several tubs of longline trawl that would be set away from the schooner. Each tub could carry as much as 1,800 feet of line with a hook every fathom, or six feet. If a commercially viable fish was found on 50 of those three hundred hooks it was considered a decent haul. Dory's were painted a buff color which would show up in the fog and in bright sunlight, the same color the spars on the mother ship would carry and the dory might have a small rope on the bung, should the boat overturn.

There's lots of small detail that can be added, line tubs, dory fog horn, trawl anchor, trawl buoy, bailer's, sail, etc... Fortunately, I found some 1/24 scale figures I think I can modify.

To start with, build the Dory! The Kit is the Model Shipways Lowell Banks Dory, "a beginner kit is not just for beginners"! No need to document the build, there are many Dory Build logs. So, fast forward, after few minor kit modifications, base painting, I started the weathering is a work in process in process.

I mixed my own batch of base colors using enamel paints. For washes I use "only" watercolor paints". Not acrylic paints. Watercolor paints are much more forgiving, if you make a mistake, just wipe off with a damp cloth or paint brush. I never weathered a ship model; I'm having fun with this! Some dark grey wash, dry brushing and paint chipping, the detail starts to develop.

DSC02490.JPG

DSC02506.JPG

20240113_084334 - Copy.jpg

20240113_084310.jpg

20240113_084511.jpg

When building the base I wanted to try a different type of weathering technique to show wear and tear. Instead of the traditional use of washes and dry brushing, use sandpaper. Following the planking pattern of the Dunton, I glued basswood strips. Before gluing I ran a dark grey artist pencil along the edges to simulate caulking. Once trimmed and sanded, applied a coat of Oak Stain, then airbrushed a couple of coats of grey enamel. I decided to apply a light wash of watercolor dark grey to enhance the detail. When dried, started very lightly rubbing with sandpaper to simulate wear.

Finished the boat cradle/"kids" (can't confirm the correct terminology or design), added some detail, nuts/bolts, which are from Grandt Line. They offer railroad model detail parts such as lift rings, hinges, nuts, etc. which can also be used for ship modeling. Painted the cradle a toned down white, wash of watercolor dark grey, some rust stains.

Started scratch building the gear'

20240116_085133.jpg

20240116_103130.jpg

20240119_104619.jpg

20240122_091242.jpg

20240122_091420.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Added the figures. I don't have much experience painting figures but just followed some on-line video's. Originally started out with 5 figures and narrowed it down to 2, Captain and Dorymen. This has been an interesting little project which has allowed me to improve my skills and learn some new techniques after many years away from the hobby. I actually feel more confident now getting back to my Kate Cory.

20240226_171848.jpg

20240306_101818.jpg

20240306_100352.jpg

20240306_101047.jpg

1000001300.jpg

1000001296.jpg

The wonderful weathering you have done makes this a very realistic and interesting model! Where were you able to find those figures in the correct scale?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I luckily found the figures by doing a search "1/24 scale figures" and found a Ukranian kit manufacturer, ICM, that has a line of 1/24 offerings. These figures were produced for their period car kits which happened to match the timeframe I needed. They have the correct style clothing. With some slicing and dicing and a little Bondo putty I got the positions I wanted.

I'm considering a 1/24 Lobster Smack diorama using some of the ICM figures.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Wonderful work on the dory.  Looks just like the reference photograph.  I really like the figures as they really bring the model to life.   I didn't know that Henry Ford was a fisherman.  I guess we learn something every day.  LOL

Wawona 59

John

Next Project:  Flying Fish restart 

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV, 1/96 M.V. Kalakala, 1/96 Virginia V, 1/96 Arthur Foss tug, 1/64 Duwamish cedar dugout canoe, 1/232 USS Olympia

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified gift); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner, Model Trailways - 1/12 Doctor's Buggy (gift), Guns of History - Napoleon Canon and Limber