African Queen by a49kid - Billing Boats - 1:12 - RADIO

Posted (edited)

I think I mucked up, I thought I was starting a Build Log, but it appears my first Post was in the "Introductions" folder.
So I will now try and start a Build Log here. And I'll start again.

Hello, my name is Wayne and this is my first Post here, I joined the group a couple of weeks ago.
I’m 74 and in Melbourne Australia and I’m currently building the Billings African Queen.
And this has been a quest of mine all my life, I saw the movie as a very young boy when my parents went to the Drive In Pictures, around 1953. And I have always remembered different scenes from the movie. So I have now finally got around to building it, and with live steam. And intend to have RC for the steering, I will just let the steam engine chug along. Yea being an open launch I don’t want to have servos etc spoiling the look of the model. I hope to hide a small servo for steering under the rear seat.

And the vacuum formed plastic hull will be water tight when on the water. But I’m thinking of planking over the hull, I hope that will be OK.
And I must say, the most important tip I picked up while researching the build was to leave the top extra mounding there, not cut it off until the hull internals and deck were completed.
I have the ‘Miniature Steam Models’ plant #4034 here to go into the boat. I must thank gjdale, (Grant) for guiding me to that plant, and it looks spot on for the Queen.
And MSM are in Melbourne too.
Just ordered 2 universals, 5 to 4mm, and a brass prop from ‘Float a Boat’, also in Melbourne, and they were very helpful. Will have to see if I use the Billings prop shaft or have to buy a longer one.

588 - Copy.jpg

Edited by a49kid

This is the Steam Plant that I bought for this boat, from MSM in Melbourne.
It has a butane gas burner, but because I'm still waiting on a refill can adapter I have not yet had it running.
And I changed the clear silicon tubing to a black tube, I'm fussy with everything.
The black brass base plate is screwed to the lower floor ply timber sheet.

1 4034 plant .jpg

1a 88c68efb0da9652a400a1d.jpeg

2 P1080782.JPG

3 P1080781.JPG

Looks like you’ve made a lot of great progress there Wayne. I may “borrow” some of your ideas as I progress my own build.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, gjdale said:

Hi Grant, thanks for your comment. I have started on the planking, but I find it very demanding and tedious.
Actually I'm wondering if I should have started it, I'm thinking, after I paint the hull will it look any different to just painting the plastic hull.
Anyway, I will have to press on now.
And Interestingly, I am also building the OcCre Stephenson's Rocket, and have the Adler to build too. 
And yes they have a few nice boats too. 

Edited by a49kid

It looks like you are making great progress! I think these steam boats are very interesting models and it's going to be fun to follow your build and Grant's build as well. 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Posted (edited)

Continuing on with this build.............

I decided to plank the Queen, well I mean the Billings plastic hull doesn’t look very nautical to me.
I figured boats of that size and at that time would be timber boats.
Anyway, after I have filled and sanded, and then sealer, primer and top coat, I hope you will still be able to tell it is timber planked.
Otherwise I should have saved all my money, time and effort on this job. I mean, will it just look like the plastic hull painted.
Yea I not a big fan of doing any planking, all the calculating, measuring, trimming, sanding and gluing down.
Using 0.5 x 10mm x 1mt strip I got from Float a Boat.
I’m about half way thru this project.
Then I thought I’d do an online search of this boat.
Wow, it Was  a Steel Hull ……………
Anyway, it’s my boat, and I don’t care, it’s going to be a timber boat.

Some information here on the African Queen, or more correctly, the Livingstone.
The African Queen was a 30-foot boat built of riveted sheet iron in 1912 in the United Kingdom.
For service in Africa on the Victoria Nile and Lake Albert where the movie was filmed in 1950.
It was built for the British East Africa Railway and used from 1912 to 1968.

The African Queen was originally named the L.S. Livingston, which had been a working diesel boat for 40 years.
The steam engine was a prop, and the real diesel engine was hidden under crates and other cargo.
It is now docked next to the Holiday Inn in Key Largo, FL.

A Q in_Key Largo FL US.jpg

Edited by a49kid

Posted (edited)

Hi Grant, gjdale, how is your build going, I’m still on the hull planking, not an easy job.
I had to make room for the boilers gas burner, a half round in the floor joist and some of the floor removed.
And yes I drilled holes in the ply plate, to accommodate the screw heads under the Steam Engine base plate.
But I’m finding it a bit disappointing here, very few replies / comments, just Likes like Facebook.
In the old days Forums were very active places.
Maybe they just like Square Riggers here.

P1080810.JPG

Edited by a49kid

More good progress there Wayne, and thanks for the heads-up about further tweaks needed to make everything fit properly. My build is having a little break while I’m away on a cycling trip over Easter - four days cycling through the Lachlan Valley area (Koorawatha, Cowra, Canowindra, Eugowra, Goolagong, Grenfell and back to Cowra). Yesterday was a long but enjoyable 85km - we were pretty tired by the time we rolled into town. Beautiful countryside and fabulous weather for it. Getting ready for an even tougher 80km today.

Don’t be too disappointed by a lack of responses on your log. There will be fewer people interested in this type of build, but also some people only log on every once in a while to catch up. They will generally only comment if they have something to add to the conversation. A “like” tells you that they are interested in what you are doing even if they have nothing to add. That is a good thing really as it means that your log doesn’t get filled up with a lot of superfluous content. Rest assured that I for one am certainly enjoying following along seeing how you tackle the various problems that inevitably arise. As you have already discovered, the Billings instructions are next to useless, so a degree of difficulty is added from the outset.

I look forward to your next instalment. 

Great log, this build with steam is on my to do list. 

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

Just found this thread and am now following along. You're making good progress Wayne. I like what you're doing. Which MCM steam plant are you using? I looked on their website and they have a plethora of them. I've always been intrigued by steam and this looks like it could be a way to get into it.

I'm assuming you're going to be able to control the steam plant by remote control. Looks like a fun build and will be fun to operate when it's done. Does anyone make 1/12 scale figures of Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn?  That would be the crowning touch.

Looking forward to following your progress. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

Todd

3 hours ago, a49kid said:

Some pics of another guy's very nice African Queen, and sorry, I don't know his name to acknowledge his fine work.
And it looks like it is electric powered, and probably RC.

Those are photos from the Billings Boats website, build and photos by Richard Simpson. Here's the link to the photos. His build can be found here.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tossedman said:

Just found this thread and am now following along. You're making good progress Wayne. I like what you're doing. Which MCM steam plant are you using? I looked on their website and they have a plethora of them. I've always been intrigued by steam and this looks like it could be a way to get into it.

Hi Todd, go the the start of this Thread, and read down, and a Lot of your questions will be answered.
Including for the Steam Plant............#4034
And I have some 1:12 figures here, Dremmel modified and re painted, but I have now discovered that a guy is making some very good Humphrey and Katherine 3D figures

Edited by a49kid

Posted (edited)

A few days ago I added a bit to the rear of the boat, (is that the stern), actually for the rudder.
Put a reinforcing board on for the rudder tubing, but I slightly mucked up.
I should have added the hull planking before I glued on the board. But much too hard to redo it all now re the tube locating at the bottom and at the top, where I have added a half round piece.
So I have just added a bit more timber either side of the tubing, it will all look good after a little filler and it is painted
And another builder was thinking like me and has done the same thing.
And he is very much into realism with his weathering……………

P1080815.JPG

P1080818.JPG

a war ravaged and weathered boat.jpg

Edited by a49kid

Hi Grant, a bit of info re the Steam Plant, or do the kids call it ‘Heads Up’
Now to fire up the steam boiler, it uses Butane Gas.
But you cannot fill it’s gas tank with a normal Refill gas can, a copper pipe is in the way.
In the engine box the guy has supplied a 100mm brass extension tube with a screw fitting.
Now you screw that pipe onto this orange adapter fitting.
Then this adapter twists onto the filler can.
But you need a special can, and it took me some time searching to find one.
Come from Sydney, can’t buy OS as it’s “Dangerous Goods”.
The Universal cans don’t work, and the red plastic nozzle is too long.

3260c12a-36bf-11ee-a1ca-0a580a69767f.jpg

dc8be1716f9788eb9e6eef0f192e9c0b.jpg

71idED7QQKS._AC_SX679_.jpg

Posted (edited)

Another thing that has now annoyed me about the building instructions.
They could be clearer, and more detailed drawings re the build.
Yes this is only a small thing, but I would have liked to have made the stand as Billings had intended.
With the joining timber going a little beyond the hull support pieces.
And others have made the same mistake as me.

Stand.jpg.95b550f83dcb212722a4a7c1c587323a.jpg

588.jpg

P1080793.JPG

P1100495.JPG

Edited by a49kid

Nice build!  Not too many places to "hide" the RC gear especially the rudder servo. I recall seeing another African Queen long ago in which the builder had several crates aboard like in the film (were they marked "explosives", I think?). Perhaps you could cover the rudder servo using these? Do you have access under the fore deck for the Rcvr, "steam control" servo, and battery? This same builder also found 1/12 scale (standard doll house scale apparently) figures; the Hepburn was a perfect appearance and pose. Can you tell us where you found your Bogart and Hepburn?

This is a build I would consider for the future - interesting and out of the mainstream.

Look forward to seeing it on the water.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Ian_Grant said:

1 hour ago, Ian_Grant said:

This same builder also found 1/12 scale (standard doll house scale apparently) figures; the Hepburn was a perfect appearance and pose. Can you tell us where you found your Bogart and Hepburn?

This is a build I would consider for the future - interesting and out of the mainstream.

Two places that sell 1:12 figures, ETSY, Melody Jane Doll House and Minimum World, Search Dolls House Figures.
I wanted 2 seated figures.
Very nicely painted resin molded figures, but then I modified them with my Dremell, and re painted them.
So they don't look like the figures here now. I will cut and rotate Charlies arm / hand to have it on the tiller.
And I have to make a big hat for Rose.
Sorry no pics yet, still working on them

ndp234-60dc984dee5bd.jpg

hwm33038-60dc98cf87aaf.jpg

il_794xN.3599830338_nn7e.jpg

Edited by a49kid

Posted (edited)

Finished the hull planking, and that was quite a job for a first time planker.
I’m using 0.5 x 10mm strip over the plastic hull.
I figured boats of that size and at that time would be timber boats.
I’m now in the process of filling and sanding, and then sealer, primer and top coat, I hope you will still be able to tell it is timber planked.
And I don’t care if mine is not true to the original, I would rather have a timber hull than a plastic one.
I’m using this Wood Sealer, and I’m liking it. Made in the UK.
But I don’t think this would be suitable for stained timber hulls.

Some information on the African Queen.
It was a 30-foot boat built of sheet steel in the United Kingdom, for the British East Africa Railway for service in Africa, on the Victoria Nile and Lake Albert and used from 1912 to 1968.

It was originally named the L.S. Livingston, and had a diesel engine.
In the movie the steam engine was just a prop.

shopping (3).jpg

Edited by a49kid

Posted (edited)

Hi Guys, and Grant, it may seem like I haven’t been doing much boat building lately, but actually I have been.
But I have taken a short rest from the filling, sanding, sealing, primer and top coat on the Queens hull.
Yes I’ve been making the Drink / Gin crates, 4 of them. And all the ‘planking’ on them.
It is quite a time consuming exercise.
Currently waiting on some more bottles for them, will post photos when all complete.
And I must say I love my cut off tool I bought a couple of weeks ago.
A wooden kit you assemble, but I changed the kit blade to a UK Stanley one, it is much sharper.
And for the crates, you set the stop and then cut the strip wood to all exactly the same length that you want.
And the precise cutting is very very fast.

P1080796.JPG

P1080806.JPG

Edited by a49kid