Hi from a damp England

Hi all

My name is Tony and I like ships! 

Oddly, whilst I have been modelling since I was a kid (I'm retired now) , I have never attempted a ship. I mostly make plastic WWII armour and fighter planes. It can take me a long time to complete a model; I've been working on a 1/16th Zero fighter for around 10 years and am about 1/3 of the way through.

Since I am retired, time is not an issue, so I have decided to dip my toe into the wooden boat waters. I really wanted to get a big warship like the Vanguard HMS Speedy or Caldercraft Snake, but everything I've read tells me to start a bit simpler. I picked up a Mini Mamoli 1/325 HMS Victory which is tiny and has very few parts. I think there is a trade off here. Such a small scale may make things harder (especially rigging), but a simple build may avoid frustration and abandoning the project. I would say the instructions for the kit are not terribly clear, but I can look at online material to see what it should look like.

Anyway, I'll make a start soon and you may be hearing from me when I get stuck...

Tony

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

:sign:

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:            The  Santa Maria -Amati 1:65, La Pinta- Amati 1:65, La Nina -Amati 1:65 ,                                                Hannah Ship in a Bottle -1:300  The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,The Mayflower Amati 1:60, Viking Ship Drakkar-1:50

non Ship Build:   1972 Ford Sport Custom Truck

Current Build:    King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina-1:80

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus: Amati 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Howdy Tony!

"The journey of a thousand miles is only a beginning!"

Current Build;

All current builds are on the ol' drawing board

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

1776 Gunboat Philadelphia, Scratch Build, "In work and active in both research and design phases"

In dry dock;

Scratch Build of USS Constitution... on hold until further notice, if any.

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

Corel HMS Victory Cross Section kit "BASH"... being neglected!

:piratebo5:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Hi Tony, welcome to Model Ship World.  I hail from damp and wet Renton, Washington, USA about 10 miles south of Seattle.  Lots of great ship modelers on this site.  It seems a lot of us have "salt water in our veins".  

I'm glad to see that you decided to start small.  I'd keep the Vanguard and Caldercraft kits for later.  Another option you may consider to test the waters of wooden ship modeling is the Model Shipways Shipwrights' combo set.  It consists of three successively more challenging projects; 1.  A Grand Banks Dory, 2.  A Norwegian Pram and finally 3. Lobster Shipjack.  The kits were designed by master modeler David Antsherl and are very well done.  The instructions are also very well done and provide a clear step by step guide to building the models.  I recently picked the combo up to make some small Christmas gifts for friends.  Check them out.

Welcome Aboard!

Wawona 59

John

Next Project:   

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV, 1/96 M.V. Kalakala, 1/96 Virginia V, 1/96 Arthur Foss tug, 1/64 Duwamish cedar dugout canoe, 1/232 USS Olympia

Completed Builds: Midwest - Chesapeake Bay Flattie (highly modified gift); Revell - 1/96 Constitution, 1/96 Thermopylae, 1/96 Cutty Sark, 1/570 Titanic; Dragon - 1/700 USS Arizona; Model Shipways - NY Pilot Boat Phantom, Aurora - Whaling Ship Wanderer, Maquette - Boeing 307 Stratoliner, Model Trailways - 1/12 Doctor's Buggy (gift), Guns of History - Napoleon Canon and Limber

Welcome aboard Tony from the cold North of Scotland. Nice having you here at MSW.

Micha

"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." Jacques - Yves Cousteau.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current Build:

"Roar Ege" by Billing Boats - 1:25

On Hold:

n/a

Finished:

n/a