Aloha from North Carolina

Hello fine folks.

Im thankful to be here. I used to model many moons ago. Mostly Tugs like the Doris Moran, etc. I only did scratch built. I've never seen a model ship in a package :) I began ship building  after a foray into building large airplanes from kits. But my family history always takes me back to the sea. They say my family's namesake (last name) [Tench] is a direct line to Teach from genealogy records and statements from generations back. I spent 26 years in Hawaii (Hence the Aloha) and reside about 20 minutes outside Charlotte, N.C.  home of the Tarheels and Hornets nest ;) for historical references

Thank You for allowing me to be here and contribute and glean from your pages.

I have already seen some impresssive build pictures and Im sure will enjoy many more while I'm here. Thank You so much.

Charles, welcome to MSW. Glad to have you aboard. 

Current Builds: 1880s Floating Steam Donkey Pile Driver 

Wood Hull Screw Frigate USS Tennessee

Decorative Carrack Warship Restoration, the Amelia

Completed: Early Swift 1805 Model Restoration

Welcome!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

:sign:

Good luck on your journey!!!       :cheers:

Bob M.

Start so you can Finish !!

Finished:             The Sea of Galilee Boat-Scott Miller-1:20 ,   Amati } Hannah Ship in a Bottle:Santa Maria : LA                                                                      Pinta : La Nana : The Mayflower : Viking Ship Drakkar

Current Build:    King of the Mississippi-Artesania Latina-1:80 -- Royal Yacht, Duchess of Kingston-Vanguard Models 😊

On Hold:            HMS Pegasus-Amati

Hi Charles and welcome to Model Ship World.  Your interests in modeling sounds just like one of the members in my ship model club.  His name is John Cheevers and he does scratch builds of tugs.  Here are links to his builds:

https://www.hrsms.org/Content/model/huntington/

https://www.hrsms.org/Content/model/mariner/

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

:sign:

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Welcome to MSW Charles.

You probably are aware that "Tench" was the name of the lead ship of a late-WWII class of US submarines. The namesake conducted three war patrols from Hawaii. So that struck me as an interesting connection.

You will discover that MSW is a wonderful, friendly, and supportive community with an immense knowledge base for this hobby!

Terry

Colorado Springs, CO

12 hours ago, CDR_Ret said:

Welcome to MSW Charles.

You probably are aware that "Tench" was the name of the lead ship of a late-WWII class of US submarines. The namesake conducted three war patrols from Hawaii. So that struck me as an interesting connection.

You will discover that MSW is a wonderful, friendly, and supportive community with an immense knowledge base for this hobby!

Terry

Colorado Springs, CO

Thank You.  That is an astute observation. In the lineage world, our Family Crest includes two hands holding up a Tench, or trout type fish. The Tench class subs came before the Guppy class. Interesting indeed. :) Perhaps one day I'll have to do up old Teaches' Queen Annes Revenge, minus his head on the bowsprite of course lol.

Another interesting connection, my female ancestor I mentioned (A great aunt)  wrote a letter generations ago talking about the connection to Bath, N.C. which is where Teach (I still think it is supposed to be Tench, etc as we had one ancestor who came over on the English ship Fortune , William Tench) Supposedly from the same area in England.

In any case, the ancestors letter claims that Teach had one single female child in Bath N.C. before he was killed.

Amazingly I had several uncles who served during WWII as well as my maternal grandfather. R.L. Tench in the seabees. My uncles would have seen the Tench Class subs while in service no doubt. One of my uncles was on a ship that was sank and he was at sea for 9 days in a raft before being rescued by an English ship, of which the name escapes me right now.

Apologies for the rambling. Thanks so much for the warm and hearty welcome.

Welcome to MSW Charles.  There's always room for another ship modeler.

Welcome Aboard!

Wawona 59

John

Next Project: 

Wish list for "Seattle Connection" builds:  1/96 Lumber Schooner Wawona, 1/96 Down Easter St. Paul, 1/32 Hydroplane Slo-Mo-Shun IV, 1/96 M.V. Kalakala, 1/96 Virginia V, 1/96 Arthur Foss tug, 1/64 Duwamish cedar dugout canoe, 1/232 USS Olympia