SS Vinal Haven by TBlack - FINISHED

Tom, fine job on that stack.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Michael,

I didn't have any yew (BTW, nice looking piece of wood), so I substituted cherry.

I'll get back to you on the eagle charms, another good idea, but lots to look at and I'm not buying gold @ $250/charm.

Cap'n Bob, thanks for looking in.

Tom

Tom,

What size eagle?  I've got one left over from my USS Constellation project if it will work.

post-76-0-66280600-1386032378_thumb.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks, Andy, I looked at their sites and didn't see any eagles available. I think Michael's idea of the jewelry lead is a strong possibility. There's a lot to look at in that category, some very expensive and some (from China) not bad, but wholesale. While the price is right, I really don't want to end up with 90 eagles when I only want one!

Tom

PS I'm thinking about changing my avatar. That baby is now 3 years old. And I think Robbyn has changed hers twice in the last 3 months. Stand by!

Looks Good Tom , Great job on the smoke stack

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Tom

i found some eagles HO scale at this site http://www.musketminiatures.com/

it says they make the detaqils themselves , so might be an idea to contact them and see what they got in your scale

also found this topic on a railroad forum on how to make your own eagle in HO and O scale with a parts template

http://www.railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21628

Edited by Adrieke

Current builds : HMS Bounty, Constructo Pilar

Next build : undecided

On the Shelf : AL San Juan, Mamoli HMS Victory

Builds on hold : Ochre Gorch Fock, Hachette/Amati Black Pearl

Previous Builds Gallery : Virginia; King of Mississippi

Previous Builds logs : AL King of Mississippi 1/80

Adrieke, This is a fabulous find, and thank you very much for the lead. Initially, I was intrigued by the tutorial on building my own eagle, but then realized they were trying to model the real bird. Of course, I'm modelling a casting of an eagle. I think the way to go is with the musket miniatures offering; the price is certainly right.

post-106-0-30331500-1386107890_thumb.jpg

Tom

OK, I'll take all these likes as an endorsement of my decision to follow Adrieke's suggestion. Great, but we're really not there yet. I still have some accoutrements to deal with around the funnel. Steam escape valve:

post-106-0-32589300-1386118411_thumb.jpg

On the left, what do you suppose that really looks like. The whistle on the right is no problem.

Tom

Tom,

Your funnel has turned out really well.  Don't overthink your escape valve - that ferry was built in the age of "we'll make as much noise as we damn well please".  Many early steamers simply had an open pipe venting to the atmosphere, or a crude spring valve at the top of the pipe.

As for your eagle, I did a quick image search on 'Preiser HO Gauge Bird Figures' and turned up several possibilities.

John

John,

Preiser has a wonderful looking eagle, but it's part of a set. The set costs $22.00. Maybe Andy and I could do a deal wherein I buy the set, take out the eagle, and sell him the rest of the set for his railroad club for $20? Sounds fair?

Tom

Terrific work Tom. Looks like you are getting pretty cozy with the brass work as well.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael,

If my brass work passes muster it's because you taught me how.

Andy,

For the blowdown muffler, I tried your hand drill method which worked much better, much cleaner.

John, Cap't Slog, Andrieke, thanks for looking in and your support.

I have to put some more braces on Amanda, so my attentions will be redirected for awhile.

Tom

Tom,

Your patients and rework really paid off.  It look great.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

• 2 weeks later...

A little more progress. The funnel assembly has been painted, but Ive spent most of my time on trying to get the moulding around the pilot house roof correct.

A picture:

There are four stays to support the funnel that need adding. These have turnbuckles at their base. At first, I thought I might be able to fashion something in brass, but then realized that their diameter is 1-1.5" which, in scale, is less than a mm. So I'm not sure I can add a lot of detail there.

post-106-0-07961900-1395617089_thumb.jpg

The other thing I notice in this photo is how gross the moulding is around the boat deck edge compared to what I did on the pilot house:

post-106-0-61047600-1395617153_thumb.jpg

It took me 5 tries to do this, 1 in cherry, 3 in basswood, and finally, deciding not to be so cheap, the final one in boxwood. Works much better Wish I'd done that with the rest of them.

Anyway, there it is. Here's the overall:

post-106-0-13666000-1395617218_thumb.jpg

One final point: Those are Andy's dentils on the pilot house. His dentist and I are good pals now!

Tom

Edited by TBlack

Another suggestion from the model railroad world:

http://grandtline.com/products/mrr/mrr%20car%20and%20loco%20detail%20parts/ho%20details/ho_misc_car_details.html

Scroll down to the turnbuckles. I've used them before, the HO scale ones are about 6mm long and about 1.5mm in diameter.

Andy

Edited by realworkingsailor

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

John,

And isn't Nareau done at 1:96? Those bottle screws look very good. In fact, everything in the picture looks very good. Whatever happen to your build log?

Andy, those turnbuckles look good, and thanks for the link, but I think I'd like to see what I can fabricate.

Tom

Tom, congratulations on a job well done.  The molding is great even with Andy’s dentures, I mean dentals.   :)

Bob