SS Vinal Haven by TBlack - FINISHED

John,

As you can see the flag staffs are quite long and thin. I thought I'd turn them out of brass rod; I thought that might be easier and stronger. The other observation is that of all the pictures I have of this craft at various times in her career, they have never flown a flag from these poles. So what do I do?  Go for the dressier look and put on flags, or be historically accurate and leave them bare?

Tom

Edited by TBlack

I think it's up to you, Bob - whatever you think will look best on the model.

She would surely have been flying flags at some time - certainly for her launch and probably on national holidays, so if you fly flags you'll still be historically accurate.

John

John,

I think, given the height of these flagpoles, that they would look bizarre without flags flying. The appropriate flag is a 45 star item that Loyalhanna stocks. I'll have to make the jack for the bow.

The following picture is for Michael Mott who helped me through the construction. The starboard light looks the same. I notice I need to do some touch-up paint.

post-106-0-87119800-1399601977_thumb.jpg

Tom

Tom,

Actually, I hope the starboard light is green! :P

Made me laugh.

Tom The light s turned out well, you did a great job.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Green!? You mean they're not supposed to be the same color? Damn!

Michael, coach, Thanks.

John, If there was a house flag it's design has long been lost. So I was thinking of flying a 45 star Union Jack (not to be confused with the British Union Jack). The US Union Jack is white stars on a blue field and can be flown at the bow when the ship is NOT underway. Inasmuch as the ship will be sitting on pedestals, I guess that's ok.

Tom

Edited by TBlack

• 3 weeks later...

OK. Next comparison; this time with flags flying and anchor installed on the bow in the same position as in the real photo. The bow nameplate moves around in different photos, as does the stove pipe. The bell on the front of the pilot house was on the boat early and then removed. I suspect it hindered traffic, although it shows up again after 1905. 

post-106-0-08234900-1400986902_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-51378400-1400986978_thumb.jpg

I had to make the anchor twice; the first time it was too big. And I made the 45 star American flag 3 times before I got it right. Both flags are pictures off the internet, sized for the model and stuck on brass sheet.

Crackers,

Your photo is from the fall of 1938. Here are a couple of others just prior to yours:

post-106-0-89375600-1401029642_thumb.jpg

post-106-0-31258300-1401029698.jpg

She was refloated but never used again. Instead she was towed to another berth and left. Ultimately, she was towed out to deeper water and scuttled.

post-106-0-90237500-1401029802.jpg

All pictures are thanks to the Searsport Maritime Museum.

Tom

Nice work tom, It looks like I missed your comparison entry. You did a Aweome job on this build. Hats off , Fantastic work . So what are you going to build next ?

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Great job Tom, looking at those final pictures gave me pause, what a sad end for this good looking vessel. certainly something that you will never have to worry about, when she is docked in her final berth of honour.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Michael,

You get part of the credit for this build. Pilot house windows, smoke stack, and running lights. Did I forget anything?

Pete,

Size is the main consideration. I can work down to 1:64 and the final product has to fit in a normal sized house. I've been following Alex's build of Sphynx in the scratch builds. The advantage is that the hull is only just over 100' long, and Alex makes plans available through Chuck Passaro at Syren.

Tom.

Beautiful build, Tom.  You did a fantastic job.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

excellent build Tom!   your build is a dead ringer to the real ship..........very well done!   congratz!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Tom,

the praises are all well deserved on your beautiful model, also please accept my congrats to the proud builder and his very special ship

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

kidding.....right?   your build is closer than any kit could come.......not without being bashed.   kudos to a build well done  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Go ahead and eat your humble pie if you want, we will still praise your work.  Well done.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

• 3 months later...

looks great Tom.......your work NEEDS to be shown.   congratz again, my friend!  :)  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Tom, I am surprised at the size, This whole digital photography gig that we all take part in with our models is extremely deceptive. All along i kept thinking that your model was twice the size that it is. I know that the scale was talked about and and i understand all that but we or at least I loose track of all that looking at the pictures.

It is great to see her in the presentation ceremony.

Now who are all the fine looking gentlemen in the picture?

Michael

Michael, Popeye, John, Andy, all you guys who got me through this project and who have stuck with me for so many years, Thank You!

Michael, In the picture the guy on the left is Bill Chilles who is the president of the Historical Society, and on the right is Chandler Blackington, a director of, the Society, and the driving force behind this presentation. What you don't see is about 8-10 other people who have gathered to watch the proceedings. I was very happy with the turn out and delighted that the model has a really appropriate home and will be seen by many people. And they were really appreciative of the donation.

Tom

Just amazing... very proud for you

Ian :)

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

Congratulations on a job well done and the presentation to the historical society.   

It was a fun ride watching you figure out how it all went together.  Well done.

Bob

have you started another project?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: