HM Colonial Cutter Mermaid by olliechristo - FINISHED - Modellers ShipYard -

Yeah I've got enough to learn, so I got to keep doable.. I already feel to be in pretty deep with this rigging etc..

So I have one yard almost done.. I've done a great job of it if following the plan is right.. When I look at pictures. The footrope stirrups look a bit longer.. The mast plan is to scale so should be right.. Was a fiddly task... What do you reckon gang.. Does it look the part??

Just the pendants to go on this yard.. Regards Oliver

post-7066-0-07714700-1396962043_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-18806000-1396962153_thumb.jpg

Looks Brilliant Ollie.. and regards sails take a look at the Log of 'Brig Badger by Landlubber Mike' he does a great demo of how to furl sails etc ! ideal for you I'd say.. also Kester (Stockholm Tar, and his build of  Sherbourne) has a brilliant furled Main like yours (Cutter Style)

All The Best

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

It looks real nice. Real clean and sharp. Keep up the excellent work

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Ollie,

Just catching up with your log of Mermaid, you've made a very good job. Regarding the sails, as has been said, there is a lot to learn there – boltropes, brails, seams, cloths, reef bands, etc. but, apart from the knowledge itself, it's worth reading to get it looking right.

If you want to check out my log, page five is where I described how I made the mainsail for Sherbourne. There are also a couple of shots of it. As Eamonn mentioned, do also have a look at Mike's log, re. the excellent sails on his Badger.

Kester

Current builds: Sherbourne (Caldercraft) scale – 1/64th;

Statsraad Lehmkuhl (half model) 1/8th" – 1'.

Victory Bow Section (Panart/Mantua) scale – 1/78th  (on hold).

Previous build: Bluenose ll (Billings) scale – 1/100th.

Um actually don't even know how to answer that tom..I'm a bit in the dark. And following somewhat vague plans which is bound to get me in trouble sometimes..

Maybe this picture will show more clearly what I have done.. Regards Oliver

post-7066-0-36264000-1397041432_thumb.jpg

Thanks all :)

I got my top yard done today, a bit fiddly..

I'm rigging my canons, I have made my own blocks..

I am trying to decide whether to have 'recoil ropes'... right term? .. Should they go over 'rear' of canon or just off large rings?? Regards Oliver

post-7066-0-77319000-1397124416_thumb.jpg

Hi Ollie

A bit hard to understand your question...The breaching ropes (recoil ropes) go through an eye and a ringbolt on the side of the cannon and then are seized to the same - eye and ringbolt - on the bulwarks. Depending on the navy and era, the breachng rope can be wrapped around  or spliced about the cascabel,  wrapped as you show, or passed through the gun carriage or passed through an eye above the cascabel. I'd go with the rig you have - a simple wrap around the cascabel as in your picture of the lower cannon (the upper cannon rig does not have any historical correctness - it is wrong), then through the ringbolts on the side of the carriage and then seized or tied to ringbolts on eyebolts on the bulwarks.If the cannon is "run out" in your composition make sure the breaching rope has some length - a light drape - to reflect the slack needed for the recoil. Cannons are fun!

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Thanks mate, that helps lots, I just did a dummy run and think I'm.on the right track.. Canon on left is what I think is right.. needs refining.. Will also be adding the blocks and tackle if I can manage it.. I will manage :)..

post-7066-0-64072900-1397128327_thumb.jpg

That is the way Ollie however I think you should soak you line in some softener and then defuzz it. This will make it more pliable and easier to rig your cannon. When you wrap the line around the cascabel lash or splice it together as well. This will give a neater look.

David B

Nice and tidy work as usual. Once those lines have a bit of droop for slack it will look a million bucks.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Thanks all. Good to know I'm on track.. I just rigged up my blocks I made earlier today, I've spent a lot of hours today with seemingly small amounts of progres. But it's there and lots of re doing and general learning.. Yards were basically completed this morning.

I find contradictory pictures and info. I get confused.

Like other hobbies of mine it would seem learning to research is key..

Dave I would like to know your technique for soften and defuzz..

P,s did I.mention the shipyard is facing temporary or worse closure to a category 5 cyclone.. Oh it's only 300km/hr winds..never mind that the bar will remain open.. it's all action lately. Regards Oliver

post-7066-0-57735300-1397136897_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-03620900-1397136941_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-96597700-1397136959_thumb.jpg

What I will do is take some ordinary fabric softener and let the line sit in for awhile.  I then hang it up to air dry and keep out any kinks.  Some do it differenly but I will then run it over a candle to get rid of any fuzz.  Line has a memory.  The softener removes this memory and allows the line to be limp.

David B

Ollie,

Isn't Ita crossing the coast north of Cooktown?  I thought you were a bit further south.  Anyway, if you're in the firing line, make sure you keep your head down - category 5's are not to be toyed with!!

By the way, make sure your breaching ropes are long enough so that the guns can run right inboard.

John

Thanks guys,, yeah your right John, coming in around Cooktown.. This one looks like it wants to side swipe the coast.. Here's this mornings latest map. Keeps coming closer to Cairns. We will be fine.. Regards Oliver

post-7066-0-51689400-1397163887_thumb.png

Your cannon rig is looking good Ollie. The tackles are especially sharp. Good stuff.

Cheers

Alistair

Head down and a weatherly eye Ollie; good luck mate!

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks guys, we will be fine...

So I got my breach ropes done, thanks so much for the advice all

3rd photo shows tackle, I understand one end should be coiled or in my case I'm deciding to wrap between the blocks.. But the other end I.have just put a knot to stop from coming through block.. I feel this isn't right.. Advice appreciated

4th photo shows tackle, I think I should put them on an angle, attached to the next rib along the bulwark.. You may see the holes for eye pin on rear of canon.. More advice that I would love to receive.. Many regards ollie to

post-7066-0-54669900-1397201674_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-55206300-1397201689_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-46593100-1397201714_thumb.jpg

post-7066-0-01542800-1397201766_thumb.jpg

Hi Ollie, re the Block & Tackle, I think the Knot end of the rope should be made fast to the bottom of the other block (see photo attached) hope this was of help !

All The Best

Eamonn

post-5925-0-34623200-1397249182.png

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Ollie,

Eamonn has given you good advice.  The tackle should be rigged as shown in this photo of a carronade on the Trincomalee.  The line is spiced to the strop on the single block; through the first sheave of the double block; back through the sheave of the single block and then back through the second sheave of the double block.  You can also see that the blocks are 'hook blocks' - attached by hooks for easy removal and re-positioning - you can get away with simple attachments to the rings.

John

I agree with Eamonn and John except my references suggest that only the very largest cannons had a single/double block rig. Smaller cannons would have single/single rigs. In that rig the rope is seized to the single block at the bulwark taken through the sheave of the block at the carriage and then taken through the sheave of the block at the bulwark and the running end is then frapped to the line or coiled at the deck (Blue Ensign's log of Pegasus shows a frapped rig). That said the double/single block rig will look the part too and is what I did on my AVS in the absence of my latest references.

Cheers

Alistair

I think Alistair has it Ollie, that would be the first example in the diagram of Blocks & Tackle above.

Cheers

Eamonn