18th Century Longboat by samueljr - FINISHED

I seem to be attracting projects that I'm not interested in as of late (BOUNTY bashing) so here I go again................

After purchasing the LONG BOAT (LB) as a present for a freind I found it returned to me for lack of interest and skill on their part.

For some unknown reason I've decided to build it myself but thought I'd have a little bit of fun with it.

After confering with Chuck I proceeded forward.

I will be not following the finish schedule provided as the kit is based on an existing (generic) model of a class of boat(s). I read through Lavery, May and Steel and will be painting the hull differently and will be rigging the boat with a Cutter rig as per Lavery and Steel. I will be adding furled sails and possibly a few more detail elements. I want the boat to look like it works and is not a ceremonial craft. 

I am using Admiralty paint Read Ochre for the details. I took Chuck's friezes and having the same drawing program I switched the blue background to red. I've omitted the stern frieze all together. 

The white bottom is about 8 coats of Floquil grime paint.

I've also gone for a more natural wood look. The stock was sealed with a coat of wipe-on poly and then given a coat of cut 50/50 MiniWax Natural and Golden Oak stain. When dry this was sanded off leaving a patina of sorts to the stock. The nail heads are simply done with a sharp #2 pencil.

I "cheated" with the railings and just took a photo copy of the plans and glud them onto the 1/32" sheet and cut the rails that way.

Next up is the inboard details. I'll post more pics ASAP.

As I've told Chuck, I've glued my fingers together twice (already) burnt another on a plank bender and broken the stem off.

It's a delightful little project (diversion) from my other projects.............LOL

Sam

post-591-0-06443600-1386015948_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-45526200-1386015963_thumb.jpg

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING UNDER DEVELOPMENT 

Thanks Drux

I think it will be. It's definately different than what I'm used to. Sometimes it's good to get out of our "comfort zone" so to speak.

Hope to see you at the meeting this month

Sam

Jay

You know as soon as I hit post on my last entry I was wondering how long it would take for you to pick up on the "sail thing"!

You're like a shark who smells blood in the water!!!!

As far as bashing is concerned as long as it's not my head on the work bench I should be OK.

We need to catch up, I'll PM you later this week

Sam

More changes!!!

After talking with Chuck, I decided to attempt to include a detail shown on an 18th century long boat that is pictures in the amazing book 17th and 18th Century Ship Models from the Kreigstein Collection. 

In it a long boat is shown with a roller to starboard of the stem. This would have been used when working anchors. A temporary one of the stern would have been on a davit that was removable (see Lavery).

This feature would include me relocating the boawsprit assembly to the port side of the stem.  I decided to keep the inboard brace for the bowsprit running to the floor as opposed to the one pictured that rests on the thwart.

Sam

KRIEGSTEIN LONG BOAT.pdf

post-591-0-92080700-1387193757_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-35067800-1387193829_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Jay,

Happy Holidays to you!  Thanks for the compliments. I'm working as I type on the Fore Sail and then the Jib.  

Chuck designed a great little kit.

It's been a long time since I've built anything for myself and this is just reminding me how much I enjoy building.

Talk soon, hope all is well in Denver. The Broncos aren't making the Super Bowl by the way...........

Sam

Looking great Sam.  I love how this little kit offers so much diversity.  There is so much you can do with it.  Yours is especially unique and really a treat to look at.

Chuck

I've decided on a blue ensign that will be flown from the flag halyards not at the stern.

Updated pics..........

Needs touch up and the jib sail is next.

I am waiting on a new anchor from Model Expo as I will be modifying it to have five arms not four.

Sam

post-591-0-44321100-1388364194_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-09157800-1388364208_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-20873100-1388364221_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-18729500-1388364234_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-54876700-1388364248_thumb.jpg

Hi Sam,

Fantastic work and modification on an already great project. I have her on the shelf to build with my

grandson sometime and I really want to try to duplicate the sails. Wonderful! :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks to everyone for the kind words.

Jax - where I'm at Hell DID freeze over and then some................

Rusty, the sails are actually paper. It's a type of sketch pad that is readily available at any office supply store. The process is a hybred of a method I've used in the past and a technique David Antsrchal showed me at a club meeting. That sounds like a wonderful project to do - build a model with your Grandson. 

I did what I could with the kit - let's be honest - Chuck's kits need all the help they can get!!!! LOL!!!!! (just kidding - he's going to kill me for that)

The anchor is on it's way from Expo. Once I've got it modified I'll post completed pics and specs.

Thanks guys!!!

Sam

Well I'm Done!

Here are the final pics of this delightful little project............

I thought about listing all the changes/substitutions/additions/subtractions I made but that was turning out to be a rather long list. So, if anyone has any questions about a particular aspect feel free to ask.

I will say just a couple of things; 

First everyone should build something out of their usual subject matter on occasion. It's refreshing. It's also a chance just to relax without worry of screwing up months (if not years) of work and expense. Sometimes we get too hung up on Frigates and scarph joints and nail holes and wood types and guns and every other large and (extremely) small details found out here that we just forget to have fun. 

As a lot of you know I'm going through a (trying) time with a Frigate that will go unnamed and I found this side project to be just the diversion needed to remind just how much fun I have building for building sake. She's not perfect (far from it) but I'm just as proud of her as any of my builds that have a ribbon or medal to their credit.

Also it gave me the chance to correspond with some new and great people on MSW that I generally wouldn't be in contact with for any number of reasons. There are some really super folks out here.

Last but not least THANKS to Chuck for a great idea and kit design. 

Sam

post-591-0-73193700-1389311204_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-47906800-1389311215_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-10443300-1389311227_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-55001000-1389311243_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-26534800-1389311256_thumb.jpg

post-591-0-40181000-1389311268_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Sam - I have been following this build on and off. I like your ideas. Can you explain the technique on the sails? From the photos I would challenge anyone who told me they are paper. As it happens I am having a trying time with my current project and I think you are right this could be just the diversion I need. Particularly since I just received this kit.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Beautiful work.  I always enjoy watching a model being slightly altered to  a different concept.  I admire your imagination and skill.

David B

David, thanks for looking in. These boats (all of them really) took on what would seem to endless configurations and modifications through their lifetimes that the possibilities are just as endless. From the start I wanted to produce something that was different (but accurate) from the "box top" photo.  It was fun trying a few different techniques and some new products I was itching to try.

Even being done for sometime I still read through the ongoing build logs and marvel at how wonderful everyone's models are and what a great kit this was. 

Sam