Storing and using those tiny drills

We all have used and lost or broken several of those number 80  through 60 drills. Some look like a piece of wire and end up on the floor.

I decided to invest in a set of pin-vises that could be 'dedicated' to hold one drill bit each. I marked them with the size.

In addition, I went a step further and made this drill holder . . . .
No further explanation necessary . . .???

post-246-0-59492800-1387079469_thumb.jpg

post-246-0-17575800-1387079486_thumb.jpg

Well, yes, the drills in the second picture have a thicker shaft which comes in handy when using them in my drill press. The set of 'unmarked' drills in the first picture have various sizes for those times when the hole diameter does not matter too much and I just need a 'drill'.
But there are also a number of collets that I can use in the pin vises or my drill press.

Notice also that I have to replace a couple of the real tiny guys.

Edited by Modeler12

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

'A picture is worth a  . . . . .'      More is better . . . .

I guess I went the expensive route.  I ordered a set of 61's through 80's that come in individual tubes and all in a wooden box from ME.  I replenish as needed...

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I'm kind of with Mark on this.  I have one holder that holds one each of 61-80 and then the tubes for the replacements.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I guess I went the expensive route.  I ordered a set of 61's through 80's that come in individual tubes and all in a wooden box from ME.  I replenish as needed...

Right on Mark, but what I like is to have of those guys at my finger tip when I need them. That is why the set of pin vises. When broken, I can still replace them easily. All I need is a better supply.

Jay

Current build Cross Section USS Constitution  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10120-cross-section-forward-area-of-the-uss-constitution/

Finished USS Constitution:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/103-uss-constitution-by-modeler12/

That looks really neat Jay, and I'm glad it works for you.

But knowing my klutziness, I'd probably be reaching for something on my bench and know the whole kaboodle on the floor. :oThat, or sweep over the tops of them with my arm-breaking most of them and leaving dozens of nice scratches in my arm :huh:

Thanks,

Harvey

I buy my drill bits from MSC ten each.  I save a bit of money because number 75 through 80 seem to either get broken or lost very easily.

David B

Jay,

I do use a similar method for my milling bits..  a block of wood with holes drilled in it.  

For my bits, I just leave them in the tubes until I need one.  If I break one, out comes another.  When done, back in the proper tube.  

ME sells bulk bits in packages of 10 in sizes... like a tube of #75's.  $2.99 per package currently which beats MicroMarks price. There's some topics around here that mention other places.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

With my dental drill bits I have a block of wood with holes where I store the bits.  With all the drill bits, I took plastic Styrofoam from a DELL computer box.  Cut a block to size and put it in a tall cigar box. I just stick the bits in the foam.  It holds them up right.  I do like the elaborate set up that modeler12 has.  It is not a guessing game like what I have.

Wackowolf - Thanks for the link to "Drillbitcity", never heard of it, checked it out and like what they have.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

AEW Here is a table of the diameters for those numbered drills. I probably should have added the values in mm also.

post-246-0-87456200-1387124320_thumb.jpg

Jay

I guess I went the expensive route.  I ordered a set of 61's through 80's that come in individual tubes and all in a wooden box from ME.

Who is ME?

Nice stand Jay.

Where did you get the pin vices?

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Michael,

ME is Model Expo. They currently have the boxed set that Mark referred to on sale (code Jolly13).

Thank you Grant.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

• 2 weeks later...

Joe Merry Christmas, no worries, I tend to not use initials and acronyms. To Me "ME" is Model Engineer, and it is a magazine, I didn't think they were selling drills in cases but could be wrong, they do sell special taps for model steam work.

Michael