HMS Ballahoo by jim_smits - FINISHED - Caldercraft

Take a look here Jim from Dafi's Victory build...shows it nice and clearly and I'm sure is spot on.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/page-52#entry233564

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Managed to do some work on trying to 'rig' up the nun buoy by using Dafi's build as a basis, thanks for the link Jason. Will follow up with photos tomorrow hopefully.

Biggest news is that my display case has arrived. Ordered a wood base and acrylic cover as a set from www.widdowsonsltd.co.uk cost £108. Looks the business but got a 'minor' modification to make, so will do quintuple check before I commit but should look awesome and different to anything I've seen.

Few little touch ups and last few coils to add to belaying points and I should be done...!

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Pictures as promised!

This is the display case I received yesterday. Still some work to do on it though......

post-465-0-37690200-1421307058_thumb.jpg

Here is the first nun buoy attached to the fore shrouds by two coils of rope. Thicker rope attached the bottom of the buoy is also lashed to the anchor.

post-465-0-49280500-1421307059_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-08361300-1421307060_thumb.jpg

And finally added guy pendants to the boom.

post-465-0-60264800-1421307060_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

And the build is complete!

Got all the little bits and pieces finished. Painted all the rigging hooks, added the second nun buoy and rigged to the shroud and anchor, added the last belaying coils and touched up the white paint around the rudder hinges.

Really happy with the completed build, and while it is not strictly my first build, it is my first completed build and it feels like a major accomplishment. I've added some images of the completed build itself but still got the completed to case to unveil!

post-465-0-56110700-1421609875_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-58145500-1421609879_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-07719000-1421609883_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-10900000-1421609884_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-73715200-1421609884_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-20963600-1421609885_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-77193300-1421609885_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

And onto the second of my completed build posts!

The last part towards completion was the case. I've hinted that I was going to try something a little different and I'm immensely happy to say that I managed to complete the case without any mishaps. And here is the final result:

post-465-0-13482500-1421610711_thumb.jpg

I ordered a wooden base and acrylic case from a supplier and also a sheet of blue acrylic. The sheet of blue acrylic was to simulate water level and I measured up the approx. dimensions of the ship at the water level and then deducted a few mm to be safe. I then cut out the approximate shape of the ship from the acrylic sheet. Then spent a long while iterating towards a good fit, using a dremel and then files, so that the ship rested in the acrylic sheet at the water line.

Once this was complete (and I polished out the scratches I accidently made), it was onto the main case. I need to drill four small holes to fit 10mm lengths of 3mm diameter acrylic rod through each hole to act as a rest for the waterline sheet. This was the most tense section as I could easily write off £80 worth of acrylic case. Stacked a load of old paperbacks and a piece of wood to brace the acrylic against. Then VERY carefully drilled a 1mm pilot hole by hand. Using the pilot hole I then used the dremel at its lowest setting to drill 2mm and then 3mm.

Everything worked out well and I'm very pleased with the final result.

post-465-0-24002500-1421610712_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-88148700-1421610712_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-39676300-1421610713_thumb.jpg

Thank you to everyone who has followed the log and provided encouragement and support. Now I really must get back to my Snake build.....!!

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

I really  like the acrylic sea. A most pleasurable build to have followed. Many thanks!

Tony

Thank you all for the compliments and the likes.

Eamonn - hope you can see now why I kept this under wraps, there was massive potential for it to go badly wrong....! And that was just the waterline, yet alone drilling into the expensive case.......

Stergios - I will be back onto the Snake in a week or two as I have another unrelated project on the go that I really need to complete. I may post details on the off topic section once I am done.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Can totally understand the problems Jim, I've tried working with that material before  and the word 'Shatter' comes to mind  :P  :P  not something you'd want to do considering the price.. She looks a treat Mate, if my little Ballier comes anywhere near I'll be well chuffed !!

I guess it's onto Snake for you next then..   btw do you have any other builds waiting for the off ? (I just spotted that you mentioned a 'side project')

Congratulations on Completing Ballahoo !!  :D  :D  :D

Eamonn

Current Build   :  HM Schooner Ballahoo

In the Pipeline :  HM Cutter Sherbourne, HM Mortar Convulsion, Emma C Berry & C18th English Longboat.. Eventually That Is..🙄

Side project is an electronics project I am putting together.

Came off the back of investigating using a micro controller to create flickering LEDs as lanterns on ship builds, something I will incorporate into my Diana build when I finish Snake. I saw using the micro controller to control LEDs in other ways, mainly for creating LED cubes to create a decorative 'show'.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Jim, your Ballyhoo came out great, congratulations!  I really love that case, wow!  Very creative and well done.  I was thinking of doing a diorama type case for a later build with a fake sea, but your approach is very simple and elegant.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Very impressive Jim, you should be very pleased.  Love the look of the case, well worth the effort and the risk.  Well done on your first completion, a milestone I have yet to reach...

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Very impressive Jim, you should be very pleased.  Love the look of the case, well worth the effort and the risk.  Well done on your first completion, a milestone I have yet to reach...

This is the advantage of being distracted by a smaller build.....!

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo