HMS Victory by Shipyard sid - FINISHED - Caldercraft

Hello David...The little boat looks very good to me.  I feel the same as Nick because there's now way I'm going to cover up the gun deck by putting little boats on the skid beams.  My thought is to hang a couple of the boats on the davits and perhaps place the other two in the display case alongside Victory.  I also have been thinking about building a cross-section of Victory too but the Admiral decided that the case would be so big that we would have to have a room added to the house.  Since she decided that that is not an option, I suppose my first idea of hanging two boats on the davits and sitting the other two on the dock next to Victory( in the case) will propbably prevail.  Your ship looks great and I look forward to seeing your decision as how to handlr the boats when we return from Europe.  Take care,

Jerry

Greetings all

Thanks Nick and Jerry. I think we are agreed there will not be any boats on the skid beams. It's two on Davits and the other two off the ship for me. One could easily be fitted at the stern on Davits, but would be hiding the stern facia. Anyway Jerry have a cracking holiday touring Europe. DAVID.

Hello Derek

Good that you are feeling a lot better now. Two boats on the davits and the other two off the ship, that's the way for me. There should be two 25 foot cutters on the davits as Grant says, but alas as I said earlier they are not provided by jotika with their £710 kit. Any way I have just finished the second lot of Davits and starting to tidy up the port side and the final two anchors. Catch you later today DAVID

Hi David,

At the risk of pushing a point, you could have a crack at scratch building the Cutters. It's really not that difficult. Anyway, enough said. Your build, your decisions. Your ship looks excellent as it is.

Greeting all

Working my way down the port side now. I have fitted the davits which only need to be rigged, and the sea cutter fitted once I complete it. The boat on the davits is the barge which will be on the starboard side with the sea cutter on the port side, which is the larger boat and should look a lot better. I had a look at grants brilliant small boats which he suggested I might scratch build, but alas it is all to clever for me. But thanks for the suggestion grant. So with the davits more or less completed I headed for the anchors. I have as you can see fitted both the bowers anchor now, but not the sheet anchors as I have lost three parts, so I need to make those. Anyway that's me for now. Here are a few photos of my progress. Thanks to you all for viewing and your comments and suggestions. DAVID

post-96-0-48976400-1403474604_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-83127000-1403474618_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-30130600-1403474638_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-13475200-1403474656_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-83801300-1403474670_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-14134500-1403474687_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-67261300-1403474703_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-27191800-1403474720_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Greeting all

I am still slowly making my launch which is taking quite a while owing to this glorious weather we are having. .The wife and I got chatting to a new neighbour, and I spotted a large lathe and other machinery in a garage next door to her house , and she said my dad lives there. I said I may need something making. I got home and five minutes later the bell rang. What do want making ??? He said so I showed him. Off he went and half an hour later the bell rang again. "What size was that pin again ???" He said. I said 3mm. I came home the following day and inside the porch were these 2 columns on the window cill. Won't take a penny, he's daughter said it's he's hobby and he won't take anything . I will have to find someway of thanking him. Any way I fitted two metal sleeves in the keel about three inches long with a 3mm hole at the start of the build ( imagine a bic pen). The 3 mm drill fits in the column and up the sleeve , and the keel locates on the slotted column. I reckon he done a cracking job for me. DAVID

post-96-0-14683200-1404333938_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-36007400-1404333953_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-20747000-1404333974_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-51664200-1404333989_thumb.jpg

Handy neighbour to have David! I can foresee you spending a bit of time with your new "best friend"! :)

What can i say think i said it all before lovely build,light at end of the long tunel now  nice,love the ships longboats hanging of the side going to do the same i dont care what the books say it your build do it how it suits you,madness to cover up those skids,any way take a look at the victory you will see davits excatley where yours are placed.Taking a summer break myself.  DEREK   :pirate41:

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all

Not a lot at all been done over the last week or so. I have just about finished my launch which only need the windlass and davits fitting. I have bought a flag set which is 1/78 scale but appear ok to me. What I now need to know is were do the flags fit ??? Here are a few photos of my launch, nearing completion. Thanks a lot for viewing and your comments. DAVID

post-96-0-15684200-1405282775_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-85605900-1405282789_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-88230500-1405282802_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-27192300-1405282819_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-34706300-1405282852_thumb.jpg

Hi David...

Sorry, I spilled the beans to Lawrence about your birthday and picture of you and Victory.  Maybe I  should kept my mouth shut and let you make the announcement first.

But I agree with lawrenece...Post the picture; it's a very nice one.

Jerry

Hello Lawrence

I have just had a look at that picture someone must have sent you. Cannot think who it may have been. Florida comes to mind. LOL I can how ever tell you it is not me and the ship is not mine, it's far to big and I am not as good looking as him. Today it was decided my shipyard will move into a much larger bedroom and the victory will have to live there, as there is no hope of it fitting any were else in the house I have all the timber ready for the case which I will start in a few weeks time. Keep enjoying your cracking build Lawrence . Tell you what mind that bloke in the photo whoever he is has built a super ship. Regards DAVID

just spent some  time going through the highlights of your build log, it has been a pleasure to catch up, and you deserve the praise given, well done, whats on the build table next?

Greetings all

Thanks everybody for viewing and all your comments which are appreciated . And it is really good to see you back with your cracking build Kevin . Well not a lot has been done over the last week or so. I have added the last anchor on the port side, and finished the launch which still needs it's oars and anchor, and it will be staying on the port davit. The launch looks a lot better than the barge on the davit , although neither of them should be there. Then the final anchor also needs to be fitted on the starboard side, and then more breakages to repair including the pointy end for the third or fourth time. Ok here's a few photos of a bit of progress. DAVID

post-96-0-39511300-1405894335_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-70859100-1405894353_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-30600100-1405894373_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-02535100-1405894430_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-29425100-1405894446_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-91863500-1405894468_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-29485600-1405894487_thumb.jpg

Nice going, David. 

The ship really looks impressive with the final touches you're adding.  It won't be long now, I guess, before you'll be shipping your Victory off to the large bedroom.  I'm really anxious to see what you come up with for a display case.  I believe you're planning one with a wooden base which will be perfect for such a beautiful ship,  Since I have an all acylic display case for my Cutty Sark my admiral and I are considering the same type for my Victory.  Well, it'll be quite sometime before I will have to worry about it.  best of luck,

Jerry

• 1 month later...

hello dave the vic is looking really great . your craftmenship is so good it show in your victory keep up the great work

Hello Lawrence.

Thanks for dropping in. Your ship is outstanding as your work has been throughout your build. The display case is coming on fine and the frames are completed. We are finishing the base tonight and I will post some photos later.. That will only need the lid to complete., then I can order the glazing. Yep it's looking good. Thanks a lot Lawrence .......DAVID

The captains lounge, Nautical general discussion , display cases.

Edited by Shipyard sid

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings everybody

Well I am back on the ship for a few days finishing off all the odd jobs and repairs that need to be done before the ship is encased. I have added the netting to the rail on the tops which I needed to do, so I reckon there is still half a dozen or more repairs that need doing and then a good clean of the whole ship. The making of the case is stopped while I wait for the Acrylic/Perspex to arrive. I have moved into my new blue shipyard with loads of space and taken a few photos. I think the blue background makes a difference on the photos which can be seen when you see how clear the rigging is shown. Anyway hopefully the glazing will arrive soon, and the case can be completed and then the tidying up finished. Thanks for viewing and all your comments. DAVID

post-96-0-11559900-1410993059_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-55411400-1410993076_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-80431200-1410993091_thumb.jpg

That's a lot of ropes and knots!

Square rig is going to be a big step up in that department.  Not sure if I'm looking forward to that given the 'interesting' time I'm having with my little schooner rig.

Very nicely done David, she's certainly something you can display proudly.

Hello David.  The blue background does make a big difference in contrast.  One can see all the lines white, natural or black.  Your Victory really does look like it's ready to display.  One question:  Where are ethe flags and pennants?  I know you have them.  I can't wait to see it in your display case which is another beautiful thing.  Great work, David.

Take care,

Jerry

vary nice work that u have done there dave  like i say cant wait to see here in the case craftmenship is sec to none 

Greetings all

Well I am still finishing off the repair work and not much else to do now. I have more or less finished all the work on the port side and only need to hang the boat on the davit . I have just tonight started work on the starboard side, and sorted some work on the davit, and also fitted the foremast lantern. I did have a bit of a disaster with the pointy end again and repaired it for the last time, so I thought. I spent about half an hour repairing it and turned the ship around to start work on the starboard side. Yep I knocked it off again, I also cut off all the snaking on the main stay as it was worse than poor, and will redo it. I cannot get the hang of it at all. The glazing for the case arrived on Wednesday but alas the two largest sheets were smashed. It looked like they had been hit by an hammer. I phoned my supplier and to cut a long story short he phoned me and said he would send me replacements, and the delivery company had accepted it was their fault. So it's next Wednesday before I receive the replacements. Here's a photo of my last lantern and broken glazing. Thanks for viewing and comments.DAVID

post-96-0-25655300-1411253011_thumb.jpg

post-96-0-59066800-1411253142_thumb.jpg