HMS Snake by Beef Wellington - FINISHED - Caldercraft - Scale 1: 64 - First wooden ship build

On to the fun part now, eh Jason! Looks great

hamilton

current builds: Corel HMS Bellona (1780)

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

Wonderful work, like it!

XXXDAn

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Jason, I've seen a type of spray for the dust at the yard...

Is it an anti-dust type for compiouters etc? Some kind of them extrude small quantities of a liquid material (wich evaporates immediately) with the air, but I dont know whether is safe for the paint, varnish, etc...

Hi Jason, I installed my Bowsprit at a fairly early stage mainly because I wanted to fit the gammoning before I finished off the headworks otherwise it can prove tricky to work the line.

I don't think there are any other issues in the timing of fitting the bowsprit; knocking it whilst working isn't really an issue, although I leave the Jib attachment until the last possible moment, as this is a high risk fitting.

Cheers,

B.E.

@ Ferit, Alistair, Hamilton, Mort - as always, appreciate you looking over my shoulder and supporting

@ Dafi - thanks for taking time to stop by, this is a very humble build compared to your wonderful Victory!

@ Stergios - yes - the dust blower is the type used for computer keyboards, it works pretty well.  The only material that you see is just solidified carbon dioxide which forms during the rapid pressure release/gas expansion when sprayed from the can.  If you do see any, you're probably blowing too close with the nozzle, but even if you do, its harmless and evaporates (or more accurately sublimates) almost instantaneously.

@ B.E. - thanks for confirming...next step, attach the bowsprit and complete the gammoning.  Quick question - the instructions indicate to use 0.5mm thread for gammoning but not sure it looks right (too thin) and am tempted to go with 0.75mm.  I couldn't find what you had used on your Pegasus but it looks spot on.

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi Jason

I fitted all the deck fixings before installing the bowspirit and therefore didn't pin it in. If the bracing for the bowspirit is filed to the correct angle then the bowspirit will wedge itself in nicely. A bit of CA and all the subsequent gammoning and rigging and the bowspirit will not be moving anywhere.....!

Jim

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

@ Jim - I'm sure you're right, however, I'm paranoid with some of the 'hobbitses' that tend to touch things they know they shouldn't, I've already had to make a fix on one of the channels, the circumstances behind which it seems will never be known....

@B.E. - thanks as always, very helpful.  I've measured the supplied  "0.75mm" line and it seems closer in size (though larger) to 0.5mm than .75mm, I don't have any means to get a more precise estimate, but could be why that looks better.  The supplied 0.5mm looks to be smaller than .5mm by a tad.  Can't be too critical I suppose given the mass produced nature of these items and cost of the kit.  Next build I will definitely use Morope or similar from Chuck right from the start and plan the budget accordingly (not cheap but seems well worth it).

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Glued bowsprit in and completed the gammoning..

Used the supplied .75mm line, however I'd estimate its closer to the 0.6mm as estimated per B.E.s recommendation.  I like the way it turned out.  Found an online reference to show how the gammoning would have been done in practice and just followed that. http://modelshipmaster.com/about/tech23--bowspritgammoning.htm

post-891-0-41234600-1382144949_thumb.jpg

Bowsprit pinned for extra security, to ensure it was fully square at the cap a little adjustment was needed at the deck, either the dowel is slightly warped, or the hole in the hull is not in right place.

post-891-0-79320500-1382145072_thumb.jpg

The forebits are supposed to clamp the bowsprit, but the precut hole I found to be a little large which resulted in a large gap.  To tidy this up a bit more, I used a slice of dowel to simulate the end of the bowsprit...

post-891-0-11027500-1382145076_thumb.jpg

...and installed. It's a cheap 'trompe l'oeil', but it works.  You can also see the ringbolts installed for the two cannons, I'm guessing they should be there but as can be seen, there is very limited room here to manage a gun.  Still need to figure out how the fore ladders can be installed in a way that feels right.

post-891-0-02590400-1382145079_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Very neat and tidy work here Jason - looks beautiful

hamilton

previous builds: MS Phantom (scuttled, 2017); MS Sultana (1767); Corel Brittany Sloop (scuttled, 2022); MS Kate Cory; MS Armed Virginia Sloop (in need of a refit); Corel Flattie; Mamoli Gretel; Amati Bluenose (1921) (scuttled, 2023); AL San Francisco (destroyed by land krakens [i.e., cats]); Corel Toulonnaise (1823); 
MS Glad Tidings (1937) (in need of a refit)HMS Blandford (1719) from Corel HMS GreyhoundFair Rosamund (1832) from OcCre Dos Amigos (missing in action); Amati Hannah (ship in a bottle); Mamoli America (1851)Bluenose fishing schooner (1921) (scratch)

under the bench: Admiralty Echo cross-section; MS Emma C Barry; MS USS Constitution; MS Flying Fish; Corel Berlin; a wood supplier Colonial Schooner Hannah; Victory Models H.M.S. Fly; CAF Models HMS Granado; MS USS Confederacy

A treat to see :-)

Daniel

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Very nice crisp work Jason - thanks for sharing your update.  Installing the bowspirit really makes the ship start to come alive.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Hamilton, Richard, Mike, Daniel, Sjors, Jim - thanks as always for looking in.

Apart from a few deck details, pumps (which I'm working on) and the shot garlands, pretty much ready to move onto the masts and spars, a step that will probably be a challenge. I'm sure it'll all work out fine when I get going, but definitely a bit apprehensive.

Bow area complete (the gap behind the aft grating will be covered by a shot garland, I miscalculated the deck planking at the time)...

post-891-0-43602800-1382395142_thumb.jpg

Flintlocks are now attached to the two cannons...

post-891-0-09250200-1382395147_thumb.jpg

Added some detail to the chimney...

post-891-0-85020800-1382395150_thumb.jpg

Wrapped the anchor cables around the bits, thought it makes it a bit more interesting (starboard being 'with the sun' and larboard 'against the sun' - love to know how those descriptions came into being. Although this is how they would have been used while anchored, it makes sense to me that they would also be wound on the bits as a safety measure in case an anchor became loosed during sailing, last thing you want would be anchor heading to the seabed while under full sail. At least that's what I'd do if I were captain...

post-891-0-73211200-1382395154_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hi Jason,

Would you post a picture or could you explain how you made the cannon flint locks?

Thanks,

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Mort - the flintlocks were supplied in the cannon kit and were photo etch

Spyglass - I was thinking of the "with/against the sun" expression - insights into that?

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hi Jason,

I can magnify the pictures and when I do that, I don't believe that you are shaping and painting that wood.

I think it comes strait out of the box, painted and all !

Unbelievable neat and shapely …….

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Very precise work! Was that anchor cable supplied with the kit? It looks very nice

hamilton

One word, Jason, best word...crisp!

Great work by you - to be admired and to inspire.

Cheers

Alistair

Cheers

Alistair

Current Build - HMS Fly by aliluke - Victory Models - 1/64

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/34180-hms-fly-by-aliluke-victory-models-164/

Previous Build  - Armed Virginia Sloop by Model Shipways

Previous Build - Dutch Whaler by Sergal (hull only, no log)

Ferit, Sjors, Alistair, Stergios - you are too kind. I'm a 'nervous' builder, its only a by product of taking a lot of time over the seamingly smallest of tasks...maybe the Caldercraft '74 will be ready by the time I'm finished!

Spyglass - love that - "But if you ask the reason of this, many will be found who never though about it" (!!!) Never has a truer word been said. I may need to put that on my signature!

Hamilton - thanks. The rope was simple Amati 2mm line purchased separately. There is a photo here that shows the comparison to the kit supplied stuff. http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/509-hms-snake-by-beef-wellington-caldercraft-scale-1-64-first-wooden-ship-build/page-10#entry44872 It was quite stiff, so it was necessary to try 'stretch it out' for a few days to remove larger kinks. I then found that soaking it in warm water gave it sufficient play to attempt to simulate a natural lay. A few spots of glue were still necessary otherwise it still tended to levitate above the deck!

BE - appreciate the kind comment, means a lot from you but doubt there is much you could learn from me, quite the reverse. As always, its the builder who lives with his flaws and mistakes :-)

Cheers,

Jason

In the shipyard:

Finished:

Hi Jason, as I' m about to start the channels and drill the ringbolts holes etc

Could you please please help to locate the "Rigging Period Ship Models" pages that illustrate the whole procedure?

Thanks.

Stergios

I'm not Jason but you'll want pages 2-7 for the channels and shrouds.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo