HALF MOON by jct - FINISHED - Corel

Hello J,

I imagine that the kit is inadequate in its supply of rigging thread.  At least that's what I assume from your post.  Fortunarely I have a lot of thread , in several diameters,  left over from my HMS Victory build which I can use for Half Moon.  There are natural colors and blacks.  I plan to seize the top of all stays where they wrap around the mast and protrude from the platforms as I did on Victory..  It's good to see that you have done sucha great job with the rigging lines and I very much appreciate having your log to refer to.  Have a terrific Sunday, J.

Best,

Jerry

Hey Jerry,

There was enough rigging line supplied but I wanted to try making my own ropes, as opposed to rigging with thread, I picked up a rope wa;k form Model Expo at a good price and practiced until I could turn out a fairly decent looking rope, I think the anchor lines are my best effort, all the standing lines and alot of the running rig are rope lines I "made".

J

Hello MSW friends,

Well here it is...the end of the HM, she is complete.   I want to thank all of you who have followed along and offer compliments and words of encouragement along the way.  She is by no means perfect but I'm happy with the finished product...though it is a departure form my original plan, as she sits I believe she represents a good little working ship that is weathered but not worn.

This build it full of highlights, the launch and crows nest, and low-lights...those darn gunports, and things I would have done differently in hindsight, through all of it I could always count on your support, which made it  truly enjoyable. 

I'm not sure what my next build will be, I stocked a few kits and scored on some nice plans for a scratch build...so time will tell, you can be sure I'll start a log when the time comes.   As always thanks for your interest, Pics follow

THX

J

post-3847-0-01797900-1421005016_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-40241600-1421005016_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-71881600-1421005016_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-07310100-1421005017_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-50163700-1421005017_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-89099600-1421005017_thumb.jpg

Congratulations, J.  I hope you don't have that low feeling everyone who just finishes a ship model gets when they realize there's nothing more to do,  You know, you can spend some time considering a display case for your beautiful model.  In fact, what do you plan to do about that and where will you keep Half Moon now that it's completed?  And before I forgeet, thank s much for always answering my questions; I'm going to miss you.

Best,

Jerry

Hey J,

Absolutely magnificent, I hope to do half as well when I build my Half Moon. Your pics are awesome.

Matt

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

That's a breathtaking little ship! Congratulations, J! It's been fun watching her come together. Are you going to add the Moon to the gallery?

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

Thanks Jerry...I'm considering building a display case for here...working glass is another hobby,  I am a little bummed now hat she is done I keep locking to see where something else can be down, but there is plenty in the queue, so I'll be starting another log soon

Thanks Matt...take your time and enjoy the journey...

Hey Steve, I've posted a few to the gallery, thanks for staying tuned throughout, I've enjoyed your virtual company, I look fwd for following you HM build

THX Brian...Sorry to here shes stuck in customs, that's a real bummer, does give you time to plan though :)

Thank you all for your kind comments

J

congrats to you J........great finish to such a wonderful build!    she looks super :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi J

you have done a great job and built a real gem... I like your interpretation of the Half Moon very much. It is interesting to compare different builders resilts of one kit.

Keep going on :dancetl6:

Cheerio

Max

Next: Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde by Euro Model 1:47

Finished: Half Moon Corel;  HMY Royal Caroline Panart; HMB Endeavour Occre 1:54; Fregatte Berlin, Corel, 1:40

A life without dogs is possible... but worth to live?

Great work! I agree with every one else she's beautiful. You really did an awesome job.

Looks terrific John. I will certainly be referring back to this wonderful log when I start my Half Moon build in a year or two. 

Thank you all very much,

Tom...reach out when you start your HM I'd like to follow the build

Thanks Danial..,I appreciate your comments

Max...thanks I agree it is cool to see how everyone interrupts different kits

Carmelo...I hope you do find it helpful

Pop...thanks much for your continuing support through out this whole build,  it is much appreciated, can't wait to see your HM when you get her done!

again thank you all for the kind comments

J

it was a pleasure J.........go ahead......rub it in  :D  :D  :D !   yea.....I know...I gotta get off my flat spot and get moving.   you've given me lots to think about......again.......good job,  my friend!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks Much Sam,  Not sure when or even what the next build may be...I'm gonna diy a case for the HM first, then figure it out.

THX

J

J, keep us posted on the case, if you don't mind. I'm curious to see what you come up with.

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

most defiantly will, I know it's gonna be glass as opposed to acrylic, as its a medium I'm familiar with, may pick some material up tonight as the Admiral and I are going to dinner...I'll be sure to get some pics of the process

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

I have finished the case for the HM...

I mulled over the best way to construct the case for a few days and in the process rejected a few different methods.  The a-ha moment came when I decided I would use a minimum of woodworking tools and try to do everything based on available stock at the big box store.  My thought being that you don't have to be a woodworker with a shop full of tools to construct a similar project, about all you need is a miter box, which can be had for just a few bucks.

I started with a poplar board for the base, I got lucky here as it just happened to be the perfect size I needed...but all the big box stores offer a cutting service at no charge so don't worry if you can't find the perfect size.  I also bought pine corner molding, ¾ x ¾  and some shoe molding, ½ x ¾.  

The panels of my case are glass but you could just as easily use acrylic panels. I choose glass as it is a medium I'm familiar with and can cut myself, I also prefer glass as it is easier to clean without scratching.  But it is much more breakable and it is heaver than acrylic.

If you have young-lings about I would recommend you use a safer alternative acrylic or tempered panels.  Here it's just the Admiral and me so I utilized standard plate.  The Lowe's I shopped at offered acrylic for about the same cost as plate glass, so there should be a minimal impact of the bottom line.

I started by cutting the panels to size, these were set aside while work was started on the base, the shoe was mitered and attached to the sides of the polar base board, there to serve as a base for the glass panels.

The corner molding was cut to the proper length once all 4 were done everything was sanded then stained and varnished... I did not do the lid at this time as I wanted to cut it to fit.

Once all the parts were dry I attached the glass panels using e6000 adhesive, this is a strong one part epoxy type adhesive...but like most it takes a long time to cure.  If you choose to use this material you must exercise patience and give the e6000 time to do its thing.  Once cured the stuff is pretty amazing but if moved or fussed with prior to full cure it's libel to fail.

So the shorter side panels were built up first then the heaver front and back attached.   When all four case sides were done the HM was mounted to the base and the case walls lifted and lowered over the top.   Measurements were taken and a glass panel top made using the same technique described above.

So there you have it, my rendition of a diy display case, this technique can be used for cases of about any size... the only limitation would be the glass or acrylic panel size that you can acquire.  The Half Moon case is 24” x 24” x 8”, fairly large, I priced commercial cases this size and saw costs anywhere from $250 to as much as $700,  The materials for the diy was around $60 plus a week of my time.

All in all I think it turned out okay and I'm happy with the result.  Administrators I'm not sure if this is the appropriate location for this post, feel free to re-locate as you find appropriate.  As always thanks for your time and attention, Pics follow.

THX

J

post-3847-0-88159500-1422702970_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-35213800-1422702982_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-64771000-1422702992_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-20437900-1422703009_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-53486200-1422703018_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-31270800-1422703032_thumb.jpg

post-3847-0-91485500-1422703062_thumb.jpg

Hi J.

Terrific job on the case.  Oh..to be handy....I guess, when the time comes, I'll end up with a bought acrylic case.  We plan to keep the Half Moon in the same area where I have a Cutty Sark displayed in an acrylic case and the admiral wants the cases to match.  But I have plenty of time to think about it before it'll be case time.  Best,

Jerry

Thanks Jerry, This is the first ship I've cased so I think I'll use the same technique for others as they join the fleet...lol

THX
J

Looks fantastic, great build and case!  The pine moulding was a very good idea.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Thanks Brian, I've looked in on your Enterprise build and I don't think you'll have any problem surpassing my effort at the HM, but I thank you again for your ind words.

J

J, the case looks great. Thanks for detailing the building process. Nice miters on the corners, by the way!

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)