The most silent disk sander

I'm looking for a small and not powerful disk sander. Feature-wise, it should have a tilting table.

Proxxon is a perfect match, but according to youtube videos, it's quite loud. (http://www.amazon.com/Proxxon-37060-Disc-Sander-125/dp/B002XZMJZ4/)

I have proxxon belt sander, and it's disgustingly loud. I use it very rarely due to that.

Is there some sander that is reasonably quiet? And small? I don't need lots of power to sand frames, for example. I can go with time and grits instead of pushing detail hard, loading the motor.

I have not found the proxxon to be very loud. What is loud is the shop vac I have attached to it. In fact, I have turned off the shop vac and left the sander running without noticing it was still turned on, especially at slower speeds. If I am working at night, my wife, in another room, does not hear the sander if I run it without the vacuum.

Of course it may be different to your ears but Amazon does accept returns.

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

I agree with Richard. My Proxxon sander runs very quiet without a vac. But I agree that noisiness is fairly subjective. Let me say I find the noise of the vacuum cleaner nearly unbearable.

Tony

Good choice, Mike! I have the same tool as shown in your link, and it works perfect and silent. (the small one)

What probably might cause some noise is a transmission of the sander´s little vibrations to the table where it stands on,

so the table might work as a resonator. To avoid this, put a rubber mat between Sander and Table.

Andreas

Hi Mike,

I have nothing against Proxxon tools - I believe they are good quality. However, I have the Jim Byrnes disc sander (along with most of his other products), and I can tell you without hesitation that you won't find a better, or quieter, machine anywhere. It is beautifully constructed and near silent in operation. Like all his tools, it is an absolute joy to use.

Can't tell from the picture, but putting rubber discs on the bottom of the sander might insulate it from the table and reduce the noise if it's too loud?

:rolleyes: Just noticed somebody else already suggested this.

Edited by Pops

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

I have the Byrnes table saw and have to agree about the quality.  I would only buy their versions of the heavier tools such as the table saw or thickness sander. 

Prior to learning about Byrnes, I bought some Proxxon tools and have been pretty satisfied with them especially as a beginner to learn on. One reason I chose the Proxxon sander over others was for the built in variable speed. Being new to the hobby, I find myself often using slow speeds when sanding, especially with parts that require minimal removal.

That said, now that I have just a little more experience building ship models, if I lost my tools somehow, or won the lottery, I would replace any with the equivalent Byrnes tool. Between their solid construction, highly accurate accessories and their superb service, they are my tools of choice.

QA, I followed your link for the vacuum and it looks good. Sadly, I could not find available for U.S. buyers and have not found any other powerful but quiet vacuums available here.

Richard

Edited by rtropp

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Mike, while the shipping to Sweden will be expensive give a Byrnes sander serious consideration: http://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/discsander1.html

Jim's tools are well worth the investment! My hope is that he'll next come out with an oscillating sander....

Richard, look at Fein's dust collectors. They're quiet in comparison to shop vacuums (a Fein is about as loud as a regular house vac), they're powerful, come with HEPA options, and so on but they're also not cheap.... Really am happy with mine. Figuring out attachments to machines dust ports is tricky but do-able.

Cheers,

Jay

Current Build:

I echo the Byrnes disc sander.  Used mine the first time the other day, and was really impressed.  It's built like a tank, and runs fairly quiet.

What is noisy is running a shop vac to the sander.  I have a Fein shop vac, and while it's on the quieter side, it's still fairly noisy when everything is running together.  That being said, it's not like I'm running power tools and the shop vac for hours on end at a time.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I also thought of buying Byrnes sander, but it is too big, and do not justify the cost (incl shipping plus custom taxes). If I ship something outside of EU - it is ridiculously expensive in the end. I don't need any precision or fine adjustments from disk sander - I just need it to be small and quiet, that is all.

Table saw is another story, and I will definitely buy Byrnes table saw. I need a precision from the saw, plus lots of tilting tables and adjustable angles. It is expensive, but justifies the cost.

The sander is about 2/3 the size of the table saw or so.  Maybe think about modifying a rotary tool like a dremel or proxxon to serve as a sander if you don't need too much precision?

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

I already have dremel, and even a belt sander from proxxon :)

My main usecase for disk sander is to form some shape with a precise angle.

QA, I followed your link for the vacuum and it looks good. Sadly, I could not find available for U.S. buyers and have not found any other powerful but quiet vacuums available here.

Richard

That's a shame. We've had several vacuum cleaners over the years and it's certainly nice to have a quiet one for a change!

Did you try Miele?

Mike,

Since you have a dremel, you can make it into a disk sander.  Here's I use for small stuff...

I took a mandrel and recessed the center area a bit.  Then attached a felt pad to it.  I then rubber cemented a piece of sandpaper to the pad and shaped it.  When the paper wears out, I pull it off (sometimes with the assistance of a bit of acetone) and glue on a new piece.

It works pretty well, in my opinion.  I also use it for sanding decks and certain areas of the hull while fairing.

post-76-0-05311400-1401041341_thumb.jpg

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark! Yes, I also do it this way to send something flat :)

Anyway, decided to use a sanding block with sandpaper glued to it, for perfect 90deg angle that would be fine. And silent.

Thanks everybody for opinions!

• 6 months later...

Ok, sanding block is not precise enough, and takes a very long time to sand..

So bought Proxxon 125 disk sander:

http://www.proxxon.com/en/micromot/27060.php

post-5430-0-36663700-1417211581_thumb.jpg

I am really happy with it, and it is very quiet on a low speed! Surprisingly. 

I literally used it while my wife and kid were sleeping in a next room. Wow!

So I think I answered my own question... It is the cheapest disk sander, and also extremely quiet (on a low speed, that is more then enough for gentle woodwork).

Edited by Mike Y

I also have the Proxxon Disc Sander and don't find it to be loud. But, do make sure you have exhaust suction...especially if using in the house. I've since moved it to a work station in the garage for the dirty / dusty work. However, I build the ships in the house (dedicated room). Ron