Triton by Pete38 - 1:48 - cross-section

Went back to the limber boards today and I think I have worked me a solution that I am satisfied with,

Instead of making separate boards for each section will make one long and simulate the seem in between each board. Less chance of loosing them   :(

Here is what I did 

Layed out he 3 foot sections (1 1/8" scale) and drilled 3/16" holes

post-63-0-92527800-1369593237_thumb.jpg

marked each seem with the knife blade by scoring along the lines

post-63-0-60012500-1369593299_thumb.jpg

Darkened the seem with a pencel

post-63-0-72817200-1369593333_thumb.jpg

Then sanded down the boards and this is what I ended up with

post-63-0-33571700-1369593374_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-24978700-1369593379_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-38134000-1369593386_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-72113200-1369593391_thumb.jpg

This will suit me for now, unless I change my mind later on....will be easy enough to make new ones....

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

I have another question for you...Thinking ahead on stain and or finish was wondering what your opinions were on these samples...

These are all minwax stains and finishes and sitting on cherry with the Satin wipe on poly

From left to right

1. Natural

2. Golden Oak

3. Colonial Maple

4. Golden Pecan

5. Satin wipe on poly

post-63-0-28235800-1369594938_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-17436500-1369594942_thumb.jpg

Just courious to what you all think.....Thanks

SEE YA LATER

Hi Pete, the limber boards look good. If you hadn't fessed up I wouldn't have known.

As far as the finish goes I'm a natural kinda guy.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Hi Pete

I like your clamps. I with Rusty, I like the Natural look also. Nice job on the limber boards too.

Ron

Current Build: H.M.S. Triton Cross Section 1:48

Why is it that I always find out the best way to do something is after I have already done it the wrong way? - Me

Also like the clamps and I think that you should try another sample piece. Several of the test look blurred and a second run might look better.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

Thanks for looking in everyone and the nice words..

Have to agree with the majority here....I like the natural look also......may try one other....50/50 mix of natural and golden pecan..just to see how it looks will post picture later when done.

Edited by Pete38

SEE YA LATER

• 4 weeks later...

Did not think it was this long since I posted in my log....need to keep it up better  :blush:

Not a whole lot done but still at least moving forward...

Finished up a section of the inside planking...still need to trim and a little sanding

post-63-0-30506100-1372109984_thumb.jpg 

post-63-0-20973000-1372109990_thumb.jpg

Once the trimming and sanding are done plan to install the treenails...

I am either going to use the bamboo or cherry for the nails

Bamboo on the right and cherry next to it

post-63-0-25324300-1372110056_thumb.jpg

Leaning toward the cherry....will take some extra time...is not a forgiving when pulling through the drawplate...have to pay closer attention

Thats all for now...hope to post more frequently with updates...

SEE YA LATER

Pete:

I am a bamboo fan when it comes to treenails. That said, go with what you think is the best material for your model.

The ceiling planking looks very good so far. Nice work there.

Russ

Hi Pete,

The planking looks very nice. :)  As you said  "the cherry....will take some extra time...is not a forgiving

when pulling through the drawplate" I never had much luck pulling it so I hope it goes better for you.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Looking good Pete. On the treenails I can't offer any suggestions since I have just finally learned how to pull bamboo.

With what I'm reading if you decide to go with the cherry wishing you no problems. Does look good in your sample. 

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

Small update...with summer not much time to work on the cross section.....just a little at a time

Since I decided to go with cherry for the treenail.....don't know if this was a good idea or a really stupid one  :(

Got down to making me some

First I had to make a zero clearance insert for my saw...did not have any aluminium or plastic so I used cherry

post-63-0-42446300-1372715325_thumb.jpg

ripped some cherry strips down to about .040  square

post-63-0-49602100-1372715366_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-56132100-1372715372_thumb.jpg

Then started pulling them through my draw plate. Taking them down to about .023 in size. This is smaller in scale than it should be at 1:32 but with them

be so much darker than the maple the will not look like the section has a bad case of the measles....I hope  :blink:

post-63-0-76555300-1372715413_thumb.jpg

So now it is time to set back turn on the music and PULL for awhile

SEE YA LATER

I think the treenails look good. Very good job drawing them down.

I also use a wood insert for my table saw. I used some scrap birch.

Russ

• 4 weeks later...

HI Pete,

Like your zero clearance insert. Is the cherry staying flat for you. What blade are you using? Looks like you are putting your table saw to good use. Oh, how is the cherry pulling though the plate?

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry that I have not responded to your post. With summer here been hard to find time for the build.

Paddy..Russ  thanks for the comments

David the cherry is stay flat with no problems...so far.  The Cherry is a real @#&*# to pull...but I am getting there.

Cherry is what I started with and will stay with it, even though it is hard to pull and get any treenails out of...I like the look

Using the .030 kerf blade in the saw to rip the cherry strips to pull

SEE YA LATER

Here is a few pictures of my meager progress for the month...Hopefully will have more time here soon to devote to the build.

Using an old marking gauge I found in my pile of junk to lay out the line for the treenails. Originaly had a metal point to scratch the line but remove it drill the hole bigger

and is using a pencil. Seems to work rather well.

post-63-0-91125600-1375635079_thumb.jpg

After marking use a sharp point to mark the hole locations so the bit will not wander.

post-63-0-37881300-1375635214_thumb.jpg

I found the cutting the treenails into short lengths instead of using one long and cutting each time it is inserted into the wood was easier for me. This gave me a small

pile to work from.

post-63-0-93926100-1375635348_thumb.jpg

Put a few at a time next to where I am working so I don't have to hunt for them

post-63-0-98589800-1375635354_thumb.jpg

Once I get a few more in and some sanding done will post some more pictures. So back to the shop while I have time.

Hopefully will not be as long between post next time.

SEE YA LATER

Hi Pete,  Very nice on the treenails and marking them out. :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Pete,

Like your technique for laying out and installing the short treenails. Love the marking gage modification. Have one in the locker for years and never use. It just may get the Pete38 mod. :)

Looking very good.   

Edited by Paddy

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

Rusty and Paddy...thanks for looking in and the nice comments...

Was able to get the treenails done in the lower planks and 1 side sanded....

I am satisfied with they way they have turned out..think will look better once the clear coat "oil" is applied

post-63-0-16703000-1375728351_thumb.jpg

Before moving on decided to fair the out side before to mush was in the way on the inside. Was a little worried about the way I decided to do this, but figured the worst

that could happen is that is falls apart and I start over. :(   But it held up really well   :D

Used my 5" orbital sander starting with a 40 gritt and moving up to a 220 gritt.

Done this outside using my porch railing and a old pillow

post-63-0-29566900-1375728636_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-13621000-1375728642_thumb.jpg

Once I got up to the 220 gritt I moved it to my leg for better control

post-63-0-60563800-1375728683_thumb.jpg

So here is where it stands as of now

post-63-0-96395800-1375728739_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-82313000-1375728749_thumb.jpg

post-63-0-76275100-1375728757_thumb.jpg

Have not yet decided on whether I will leave any of the framing exposed or plank the whole outside. Framing just doesn't look that good to me and I might just cover up the mess.

Time to look at the prints will be starting the lower deck framing next.

SEE YA LATER

Have a question for the group....

Would the shot locker that is in the TFFM books or the Echo Cross Section be suitable for the Triton Cross Section...

Not sure yet but since I am at the larger scale may put this into the the build also.......

Thanks

Edited by Pete38

SEE YA LATER

Pete,

You had to ask.... :huh:    Back in MSW 1.0, Chad did one where he added some frames, and did the lower part of the main mast and the shot locker.  As drawn, the answer is "no" since the cross-section doesn't cover that part of the hull.  I think what Chad did was to use the POF drawings and add some framing and other items needed.  The sad part is that I don't see Chad's build on MSW 2.0.

Matrim (Joss) as well as others  might have a copy of his log.  However, we can't post it to MSW due to copyright issues.  You might try posting a "plea" as it's own topic and see what others have.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark

Thanks for the quick reply. I have most of Chad's build log printed out on paper from before the crash, that is where I had seen it and was curious. I will probably not add it as time constraints and learning curve 

{after all this x-section is intended to learn by} would be alot right now. It's hard enough for me just to get the hang of what here.

Thanks again

SEE YA LATER

Hello Pete.

Hello Pete.

In your post above you put -:-

Have not yet decided on whether I will leave any of the framing exposed or plank the whole outside. Framing just doesn't look that good to me and I might just cover up the mess.

I must disagree with you I think it looks just fine. :)

All I can say is that your level of perfection is much higher than mine.( meaning that in a nice way of course).

Keep going with it as you see best.

Exposing the construction of a ship is better than a completed hull. And pulls much more interest in the model.

Keep up the good work.

Antony

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section