Brig Fair American circa 1780 by Pete Jaquith - Model Shipways - 1:48 scale

Mugje,

Thanks for your interest.  Its been a long project as construction on this build started in October 2011.  "Fair American" construction was delayed from 2012 to 2019 due to competing full scale shipbuilding assignments and moves from Hancock NH to San Diego and Indio CA.  With painting in hand, progress should move along a little faster,

Regards from the shipyard,

Pete

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

I just found your build, Pete, and it is stunning! Beautiful work in every way. I'm following along now.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Very nice painting! I like the way the planking run can still be seen under the paint. 

Current Build:

HM Brig Badger 1/48 from Caldercraft plans

Le Coureur 1/48 by CAF

Completed Build:

Armed Virginia Sloop 1/48 by Model Shipways / Gallery
HM Cutter Sherbourne 1/64 by Caldercraft / Gallery

With the Brig Fair American hull painting complete, construction continued with installation of the head rails and bow fittings:

• Head rails were previously fabricated/dry fitted from 3/32” laminated stock (3 layers of 1/32” sheet stock with opposing grain)
  • Middle rails were previously fabricated/dry fitted from 1/16” sheet stock
  • Cheek knees were previously fabricated/installed from 1/16” sheet stock
  • Boomkins were previously fabricated/dry fitted from 1/8” sheet stock
  • Catheads were previously fabricated/dry fitted from 3/16” sheet stock
  • Head and middle rails were pre-painted and installed
  • After completion of the head rails, catheads were painted/installed
  • Figurehead was painted/installed
  • Boomkins were painted/dry fitted

To avoid potential damage, the boomkins will be left loose for later installation during the rigging phase.  To allow construction access, the bowsprit, bowsprit bitts, and fore bitts will be left loose until completion of bulwark interior fittings and cannon installation.

With completion of the head structure and gold trim she is starting to look like a fine little armed brig from the 1780’s.  Next steps will continue with installation of exterior hull outfit.

Pete Jaquith

Image0199.JPG

Image0200.JPG

Image0201.JPG

Image0202.JPG

Image0203.JPG

Image0204.JPG

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

Etubino,

Building up the Brig "Fair American" stern structure was an interesting challenge. Once complete with windows, ship's name, and quarter badges it should be impressive and representative of these beautiful ships from the past.

Pete

Image0203.JPG

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

Limited progress due to CA heat wave (~116 outside and high 80's in my shop).  Working P/S exterior hull outfit:

• Gangway steps - complete
  • Aft gunport hinges - in process
  • Quarter badges - in process
  • Chain plates, lower deadeyes, and channel caps - next up

Pictures will follow completion.

Pete

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

19 minutes ago, Pete Jaquith said:

Limited progress due to CA heat wave (~116 outside and high 80's in my shop).

We've been cooking up in Sacramento too, Pete, and the air quality is so unhealthy from all the wildfires that it's really not safe to venture outside. Covid, wildfires and a record heat wave....ugh!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

With the Brig Fair American hull painting complete, construction continued with installation of exterior hull outfit:

• Gangway steps were painted/installed
  • Gun port hinges were fabricated, painted, and installed based on a mini-kit from Syren Ship Models
  • Quarter badges were painted, glazed, and installed (Micro Kristal Klear was used for window glazing)

Next steps will continue with installation of chain plates, lower deadeyes, and channel caps and then it’s on to complete the transom outfit.

Pete Jaquith

Image0205.JPG

Image0206.JPG

Image0207.JPG

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

Shop conditions have improved significantly.  Now working to relearn past skills (i.e. silver brazing, window glazing, etc.); however, overhanging potential of a large full scale shipbuilding project.  I will have to work to balance priorities.  Pictures will follow completion of chain plates, lower deadeyes, channel caps, etc.

Regards from the shipyard

Pete 

image0029.jpg

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

• 2 weeks later...

Shop conditions have improved allowing further progress.  With the Brig Fair American hull painting complete, construction continued with installation of hull outfit:

• Chain plates were fabricated from 22 ga. silver soldered brass wire rings (1/2” and 7/16” dia. respectively), formed around the deadeyes, and closed with soft solder.  A simple jig was used to check the forming of deadeyes.
  • Deadeye/chain plate assemblies were painted/installed
  • Channel caps were painted/installed

With the bow and P/S side zones complete, next steps will address completion of transom details.

Pete Jaquith

Image0208.JPG

Image0209.JPG

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

• 3 weeks later...

With the Brig Fair American hull painting complete, construction continued with installation of hull outfit:

• Transom trim and carvings were highlighted/painted with Deco Color Prime-Premio gold metallic paint pens
  • Transom windows were previously formed to follow the curve of the transom trim and planking
  • Transom windows were painted, glazed, and installed (Micro Kristal Klear was used for window glazing)
  • Ship’s name was installed (prepared and printed with MS Word)
  • Rudder chains were blackened and installed

Next steps will continue with installation of the quarter deck rails.

Pete Jaquith

Image0210.JPG

Image0211.JPG

Image0215.JPG

Image0216.JPG

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

• 4 weeks later...

I recently purchased the CAF Model 130mm ships boat kit.  With some additions as recommended by Allan, this builds into an interesting 18' lap strake cutter.  I plan to display it stowed on the gallows in traditional fashion.

Next step is on to the quarterdeck rails.

Regards, Pete

Image0217.JPG

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

• 10 months later...

Shipbuilders,

My ship modeling has been limited in recent months due to:

• Preparation of a major Technical Paper on "Warship Design and Acquisition" to be published in the Naval Engineers Journal Sept. `21 issue, an American Society of Naval Engineers (ASNE) publication.
  • Incredibly hot weather which prevents work in my garage shop.

With the paper complete and weather improving, I look forward to getting back to the shop.

Regards, Pete 

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

Peter, very good to see your post. Looking forward  for your next progress on your ship. Your hull work on Fair America is so clean and crisp. It always amazes me.

By the way, what are the paint colors that you used? The colors look so correct for this period ship.

Take care, and all my best!

Tim Murphy