Brig Fair American circa 1780 by Pete Jaquith - Model Shipways - 1:48 scale

Continuing the upper hull outfit, attention turned to fabrication and dry fitting of the bowsprit, bowsprit bitts, fore bitts, and the jibboom:

• Bowsprit assembly was completed.  This is an interesting assembly with lots of fine period details.
  • Jibboom fabrication was completed.
  • Bowsprit bitts were fabricated from 3/32” sheet stock and 1/8” sq. stock.  Bowsprit bitts were doweled to the inboard end of the bowsprit.
  • Fore bitts were fabricated from 1/16” x 1/8” and 3/32” x 1/8” strip wood.
  • Bowsprit and fore bitt deck attachments were reinforced with 3/64” dowel pins.
  • The bowsprit notch was cut in the forward bulwark and the bowsprit, bowsprit bitts, and fore bitts were dry fitted to the hull.  This step included a 3/32” extension to the stem to conform with the 3/32” added to the bulwark height to suit the cannon ports.
  • After completing the above tasks, the knightheads and timberheads were installed on the forward bulwarks.

To facilitate hull painting and inner bulwark attachments the catheads will be installed after hull painting; and, the bowsprit, bowsprit bitts, and fore bitts will be installed after fitting inner bulwark attachments and the cannons.  The jibboom will be installed later during the rigging phase.  Next steps will continue with construction of the cheek knees and head framing.

Image0178.JPG

Image0176.JPG

Image0177.JPG

Image0175.JPG

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

Thank you for your interest.  This model was started in 2010 and was put in layup from 2012 thru 2018 while I pursued a series of full scale shipbuilding projects in the US and overseas.  "Fair American" makes a beautiful model, and with time being available I opened it up and despite two moves (Hancock NH to San Diego CA to Indio CA) I found it in good shape.

While working along, progress is limited by the following:

•    My eyes are not what they used to be, now awaiting new glasses
  •    My shop temperature is good in the early morning (72-75 degrees F), but it raises to mid-80's in the afternoon (outside summer temperature 102 - 118 F).
  •    My attention span wain is limited after 3-4 hours work

That said, I plan to keep working and I should be into hull paint and final exterior details in the coming weeks.

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

Hi Pete, Welcome back and it's great to see you building again! Nice work as always.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

38 minutes ago, Pete Jaquith said:

Its good to be back in the shop and among friends hear at MSW.  Progress is slow but the work is rewarding.

Regards from the shipyard,

Pete

Great to have you back!

====================================

Currently building: Model Expo AMERICA, A/L KING OF THE MISSISSIPPI

Completed: Mamoli Victory cross-section, Revell LSM (Plastic, in memory of Dad), A/L SANSON tug, MS Longboat (awesome model Chuck!), Dumas 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Racing runabout, A/L SWIFT, MS ELSIE, Constructo ELIDIR (now LOUISE), Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Amati 1:80 Yacht ENDEAVOUR, Mamoli CONSTITUTION cross section, Revell VIIc U-boat (1:72 plastic), lotsa other plastic ships 

Next up: who knows - there are too many to choose from!

Tim,

Its very good to hear from you.  I miss all my good friends in the Newburyport and the Constitution Ship Model Guilds.  Since I am working back into ship modeling I will try to keep up through MSW.  I hope to finish "Fair American" 1st and then check out the status of "Newsboy" (crated since my move in 2013); we will see where is goes after these two builds.  Please say hello to my many friends in Newburyport and Boston. 

Regards,

Pete

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

With bowsprit fabrication complete; attention turned to the cheek knees and head framing.  As this is a complex area, additional care was placed on its fabrication:

• Templates for the stem, head rails, and middle rails were prepared to assist in visualizing the arrangement.
  • Figurehead was dry fitted to the stem (casting from the kit).
  • Cheek knees were fabricated/installed from 1/16” and 1/8” sheet stock.  Cheek knees were fabricated in 3 pieces with final shaping done in position.

Next step, fabrication and initial installation of head framing and the remaining exterior outfit planned prior paint.

Pete Jaquith

Image0179.JPG

Image0180.JPG

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

I am working my way through lofting the head framing.  This is a complex area with many curved pieces and dimensions that requires real study and evaluation.  I have completed fabrication of the major pieces but installation and fine tuning still awaits. I will post a description and pictures at successful completion.

Pete

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

With the cheek knees complete; attention turned to fabrication and installation of head framing and the remaining exterior outfit planned for installation prior paint:

• Head rails were fabricated/dry fitted.  Head rails were fabricated from 3/32” laminated stock (3 layers of 1/32” sheet stock).
  • Middle rails were fabricated/dry fitted from 1/16” sheet stock.  Wire pins were used to reinforce the middle rail hull attachment.
  • With the head and middle rails temporally pinned in place, the head rail knees were fabricated/installed in two pieces (to simplify fitting) from 1/16” sheet stock.
  • Fore tack boomkins were fabricated/dry fitted from 1/8” sheet stock.  Wire pins were used to reinforce the boomkin hull and head rail attachments.
  • With the head framing defined, the hawse holes were located and drilled out.
  • At his point, the transom trim was installed (photo etch from Lauck Street Shipyard).

The head framing is one of the more complex portions of the build.  Artistic license and patience were required for its construction.  After hull paint, gold paint pens will be used to highlight its many intricate features.

Final installation of the head rails, middle rails, and figurehead will follow hull painting.  Final installation of the fore tack boomkins will await the rigging phase.  Next step, exterior hull painting.

Pete Jaquith

Image0182.JPG

Image0183.JPG

Image0184.JPG

Image0185.JPG

Image0186.JPG

Image0187.JPG

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

A few more details added before we head to the paint shed:

• Rudder chain pad eyes were added to the counter and rudder post.  Rudder chain final installation will follow completion of exterior hull outfit when the model can remain securely in its construction cradle (note that I may use larger chain next time).
  • Quarter badge windows were framed with .03 sq. stock.  The window frames were assembled on double sided tape and secured in place with CA glue.

If you are familiar with the “Fair American” design, you may have noticed that I have taken certain liberties with the design and that I am free to add new details based on period practice.  In other words, I look at ship modeling as an art and an opportunity for the builder to express his/her interpretation of how these historic period ships looked in their prime.  I hope that you enjoy watching my 14 Gun Brig “Fair American” as it develops.

Sorry for the picture quality.  Next step, move to the paint shed for exterior hull painting.

Pete Jaquith

Image0188.JPG

Image0189.JPG

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

Pete,

I look forward to your painting post(s). It’s the area I struggle most in, and yours is always so uniform and crisp.

====================================

Currently building: Model Expo AMERICA, A/L KING OF THE MISSISSIPPI

Completed: Mamoli Victory cross-section, Revell LSM (Plastic, in memory of Dad), A/L SANSON tug, MS Longboat (awesome model Chuck!), Dumas 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Racing runabout, A/L SWIFT, MS ELSIE, Constructo ELIDIR (now LOUISE), Midwest Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack, Amati 1:80 Yacht ENDEAVOUR, Mamoli CONSTITUTION cross section, Revell VIIc U-boat (1:72 plastic), lotsa other plastic ships 

Next up: who knows - there are too many to choose from!

Really enjoying following your build--very inspirational. 

John

Member: Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

Current Builds: Tugboat Dorothy  Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #1 (complete)

Iron Clad Monitor (complete) 

Sardine Carrier which I will Name Mary Ann (complete)

Pilot Boat John H. Estill Newport News Shipbuilding Hull #12 (my avatar)

Harbor tug Susan Moran

Coast Guard 100' patrol boat

• 2 weeks later...

Milestone Achieved.  With the Brig Fair American hull outfit well along, a major milestone was reached with completion of exterior hull painting.  The following notes apply:

• Head rails, figurehead, catheads, gangway steps, chain plates & channel caps, gunport hinges, quarter badges, and rudder were left loose to facilitate masking and painting
  • Paint was Model Expo Marine Acrylics (Hull Tallow, Hull Yellow Occre & Hull Spar Black) and Floquil Polly Scale (AT&SF Red)
  • Masking was done with Tamiya masking tape
  • Gold trim was done with Deco Color Prime-Premio gold metallic paint pens

With a search on eBay I was able to purchase some Floquil Polly Scale AT&SF Red to match the previously painted inner bulwarks.  While some paint touchup was required, I am pleased with the end result.

Next steps will continue installation of exterior hull outfit starting with the rudder, rudder gudgeons, keel trim, and completion of the head structure.

Pete Jaquith

Image0192.JPG

Image0193.JPG

Image0194.JPG

Image0195.JPG

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder

Very nice, clean and crisp.  I look forward to seeing more.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

With the Brig Fair American hull painting complete, construction continued with installation of lower hull outfit:

• Rudder was painted and installed
  • Rudder gudgeons were fabricated and installed (strips of painted Bristol board)
  • Keel and horseshoe plates were installed (from Syren Ship Model Company)

Next steps will continue installation of exterior hull outfit with completion of the head structure.

Pete Jaquith

Image0196.JPG

Image0197.JPG

Pete Jaquith

Shipbuilder