Antje (KW49) 1959 by kees de mol - FINISHED - scale 1/75 - Dutch side trawler

Yeah, stuff happens Kees but I'm glad you were able to salvage your work.  I surmise that you found new primer?  

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

don't throw it away Kees.......here is how I decant paint from spray cans with hardly any mess at all

https://wenzelswharftips.wordpress.com/2013/01/23/decanting-paint/

there is a good chance that there was a problem with the nozzle,  and not the paint itself.  then you can try the paint through an airbrush,  to see if you have better control.

good you were able to avert disaster....your doing such a superb job with this build! :)   I just upgraded to windows 7....everything is so small!   gotta go highlight the picture so I can drool over the detail!  :D  :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello fellow shipbuilders!

I have done some work on the ship. Nice to work on those detaills but it takes a lot of hours to make and also to find out how everything was build in 1959. I made use of different photo's of different ships to make everything. Now on with the hull and other things.

P1030066_zps3nf3rmlp.jpg

P1030067_zpsnhjkzmpk.jpg

P1030068_zpsdqbjdpjq.jpg

P1030069_zps6kmurpue.jpg

P1030070_zps6fbdmvcr.jpg

Edited by kees de mol

superb detail Kees!.........right down to the electrical conduits!   I see you didn't post the picture you sent me...........is there to be a drum on the port side as well?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Everything looks so realistic, I almost expect someone walking across the deck and opening one of the doors.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Beautifully done.  The details jump out and look marvelous.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

A little bit of work done on the bulwarks. The model looks much better now all the raw parts have their finishing touch. Now some more work in detaills on the inside of the bulwarks and the some adjustments to the front of the ship and her structure. Pics will follow soon.

Kind Regards, Kees

P1030075_zpszkf6xpkp.jpg

P1030074_zpsuumddnpo.jpg

P1030073_zps93dvptzz.jpg

nice work on the bulwarks and scuppers...cap rail looks very good too!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Typically Dutch Jan. I would ioncrease the bid if I had the money. In fact it's priceless!

Just kidding of course, I only admire Kees' speed of construction where he does not even bother to take the price tag off his base material, typifies Kees as a very practical boat builder, and a true artist maybe?

Hello fellow shipbuilders

Last days I worked on two or three different things. The frontmast, a hole for the postside trawl gallow and I have lenghtened the spraydeck.

First I marked the position of the opening. This opening was added to the ship ten years after she was build. It was necessary because of the extra trawl gallow (which was placed to guid the portside fishingline to the fishingbeam).

Then I cut it out and sanded/filed everything smooth. Some halfround to make it all look good and finished.

P1030076.JPG

nice and clean

P1030077.JPG

Marked

P1030078.JPG

Super handy this disk cutter

P1030079.JPG

cut, sand, file... and relax

P1030080.JPG 

some halfround to have a good finish

P1030081.JPG

Yes! It fits.

Then I did some work on the fronmast. I gave hem his final position and I adjusted him to the spraydeck.

P1030085.JPG

The frontmast in his position

P1030086.JPG

And then the extension of the spraydeck. This also was done ten years after build. It was made to protect the fishermen against the waves. Some years later the extension was removed again.

P1030082.JPG

P1030083.JPG

P1030089.JPG

After some adjustments I gott it right.

P1030090.JPG

P1030091.JPG

It doesn't makes the ship more beautiful but I think it looks very sturdy this way. With all the additions you can really see that the ship is a true workingship.

And now a nice pic of the ship with both masts in place. Looks good hey?

P1030087.JPG

P1030088.JPG

Edited by kees de mol

I didn't realize how big this model is until I saw the pic you holding the ladder against the mast.   Very impressive work.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark you beat me to it, it looks like a hughe sucker!!!

Those last details do make it look like a working vessel Kees. Very nice finish on that mast and spraydeck. Functional improvements do not need to be beautiful, they should be practical, as shown

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I didn't realize how big this model is until I saw the pic you holding the ladder against the mast.  

How perspective can do strange things. The ladder looks much bigger than it is. By the way... this explains why my belly looks that big. It's all a matter of perspective :cheers:

I agree with Mark.......although your not holding the ladder.  it's already in place  :D  :D   Carl has it right as well......functionality is a huge factor in these subjects........practicality is the mother of design ;)     my Nordkap is 32 inches long @ 1:50 scale.....how long is the Antje?   she looks great......the extension and masting really adds to the complexity and design!    very very nice!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hello,

Thank you all for the kind repleys and the likes. The Antje is 58cm/22,8inch long. At the photo's everything looks a little bigger than it is in my opinion.

I like the ship as she is now. Some older fishermen who follow my build on facebook asked me why I build here with all the later additions. They say the ship was much more a beauty when she was just build. I asked them how many ships where changed in beamers around 1960. The tell me almost every trawler. How many of the trawlermodels in the local museum are with these additions? Non....

So I think it's not a bad thing to build her this way. Alltough she wont come into a museum, but thats not the point.

Kind regards, Kees

Edited by kees de mol

build her the way you see her Kees.......never mind the nay-sayers  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Kees,

No matter what others say, I like it any way you want to build her. WIth, without ... I like to follow your build and see what you come up with and be asthonished by the versatillity of the material you use, and your craftmanship. Keep on going

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Part one:

On the frontdeck I had to make a railing and today I started with this thankfull job. Readymade-raillings are for sale but I dont like them because they never fit the way you want and I think they are ugly. Make them myself it is then. First I make a design and then I mark the position of the stansions so I know how much I have to make.

P1030092_zpsab1oz6jg.jpg

28 It has to be.
P1030093_zpsir1z7uib.jpg

Brass strip 2x1 mm.
P1030094_zpsognce5tp.jpg

This how they have to be when they are ready. If my Autocad-teacher would see this drawing he would not stop crying.
P1030095_zpsldhxh0ow.jpg

Cut the stansions
P1030096_zps4uqbggl8.jpg

And then the drilling. Drill-thing a mould and enough drill-bits (I tought)
P1030098_zps2fo1rnds.jpg

P1030099_zpszqqyudxr.jpg

Ohh no there goes a drillbitt.... again... They are supersharp and I like the universal diameter of 3.2mm but when you look at them, they break. Or I am just a clumsy man? It was my last 0.55mm bit so I had to use a conventional drill.
P1030100_zpsks5zwvr8.jpg

Ready
P1030101_zpslnoocftq.jpg

Marking where the stansions end and where the pin starts
P1030102_zpsdoq4d2vs.jpg

In the lathe. It's not really the right way to use this machine but hey! Who knows?!

P1030104_zpsgqktsrzi.jpg

P1030105_zps0u8kvkso.jpg

P1030106_zpssyzrm4dv.jpg

Movie-clip

Edited by kees de mol

Part two:

Tadaahh. If it does not work like it has to be, then it has to be like it works (I have no idea if this makes any sence but I tried to translate a Dutch saying)
P1030110_zpsjfcnutuq.jpg

Drilling holes in the deck. With a handdrill. Very handy tool!
P1030111_zpsprll4udc.jpg

Parts
P1030112_zpsqbpm3iph.jpg

First I start with the midlle stansion
P1030113_zpsonpg8cb7.jpg

And before you know it half of it is ready
P1030114_zps5mqdhhn0.jpg

P1030115_zpsqzsoqtmb.jpg

P1030116_zpsxgm6x1hh.jpg

Yes, this is how it has to be
P1030117_zps78anjhx5.jpg

P1030118_zpsjjc0ofx0.jpg

And the old and trusted guilder/florin to show the proportions
P1030119_zpsjdsp0h2e.jpg

Kind regards, Kees de Mol

PS. Thank you for all the likes and replys. Very pleased with that!

Edited by kees de mol

What the others have said about doing it the way you want it..... you're doing a beautiful job.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Makes me wonder why the shipyard did not install a forward portside gallow in the first place.. was the extra line to give the trawl a wider spread, or maybe for a more easy retrieval of the trawl?

This portside gallow was not neccesary for driftnetting (vleet vissen in Dutch) The net went in to the sea on starboard and was hauled in on starboard. The portside gallow was added later when the ship was transformed in a beamfisher. The front starboard gallow lead the fishingline to the starboardbeam and the portside gallow did this for the portside beam.

The aft starboardgallow stayed on the ship so the could also go driftnetting again.

On wikipedia there is some info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drift_netting

A movie-clip http://www.haagsefilmbank.nl/archieven/843 Only the ship has no gallows yet.

Search for Vleetvisserij to find more info

Regards, Kees

Edited by kees de mol