Antje (KW49) 1959 by kees de mol - FINISHED - scale 1/75 - Dutch side trawler

yea....I have a couple of my  'plastic pals'  using it.....they've been using another paint as well.......Jo Santos  {hope I spelt it right}.  believe it or not,  they've also been using windshield washer in mixing it as well.   I haven't tried it...I'm too much of an enamel fan  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Small update this time from the paintshop. I painted the hull red with (I hope) the right red colour. Tomorrow I will mark the waterline and will paint the upper part of the hull.

P1030174_zpsydkwifaw.jpg

looking good Kees!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

That is a very nice looking hull.  Well done.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I bought a nice looking prop but its much to shiny. I like to paint the ship like its in use so it needs a little weathering. And so does the propellor. In the past I tried to do this with paint but that didnt work out well. I remembered a proces from scienceclasses called electrolyse with an katode and an anode. How that works you can find on the internet but the pictures below show how I (mis) use it.

Here's what whe start with. A nice and shiny propellor.

P1030144_zpsgqj6nfmf.jpg

First an conductive fluid wich means you dump some salt in warm water and give it a goed stir.

P1030189_zpsbyk19kol.jpg

Then the power supply. I use one with 9V DC and little amps

P1030190_zpszx7ukwmd.jpg

Then separate the minus and the plus and connect them with the prop and a piece of metal with zinc on it. Try in wich order. If you have it right the prop will produce lots of small bubbles later.

P1030191_zpsmj6kucvt.jpg

Then place them in the water. Make sure the two pieces of metal do not touch eachother. I use some clips to clamp them to the pot.

P1030192_zpsctw9oofz.jpg

When you do it wrong the zinc piece will produce bubbles

P1030194_zpsflboc8nm.jpg

And when you do it right the prop will produce lots of bubbles

P1030195_zpsbdewhn2r.jpg

Then leave it for some 15  minutes but try to inspect the prop during the process. It will go fast and if you are satisfied with the result stop on time. Its good to rub the prop with a rag so you can see the endresult.

P1030195_zpsbdewhn2r.jpg

Looks nice allready

P1030196_zpscqex8a4d.jpg

And the final result. Iam very satisfied with it. I admit its a little bit ghettostyle but it works to me.

P1030199_zpsrr0ngrfw.jpg

P1030201_zpsumndsdgd.jpg

Edited by kees de mol

Kees,

The weathering with paint is done with salt as well. Quite a few instruction movies on YouTube for model cars, railway wagons, etc. Maybe for a next time, though I like this solution better. Rersult is marvelous

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Yes I know the salt-methode. Look at my log of the FR927 to see what I did with it. But its not comparable with 'my' technique. They are both very different.

a friend of mine told me about this method.......I really haven't had the reason to try it yet.  it works well.   Bill Nye would be proud of you.......very well done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Some photo's of the paintshop. Painting is progressing very well but its a lot of work. Also some forgotten jobs to do. It was very hard to find out wich colours to use and where. I have only one hazy colourphoto made from a distance. But I think I have things clear now.

Kind Regards, Kees

P1030185_zpssdjriupp.jpg

P1030205_zpskwxn02w7.jpg

P1030207_zpsqfcwtb0j.jpg

Edited by kees de mol

looking nice Kees............look'in nice!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Car spray paint ...?

The Motip is the plastic primer I use and the other spraycans I use for several jobs. For the ship I onlu use my Airbrush and Revel Aqua colours.

Kind regards, Kees

. I would have thought that all superstructure and railing was always painted White.

When the ship was delivered the superstructure was white indeed but later she was painted green in the collours of the shipping company 'Kennemerland'

Here on this colourpicture (the only one I have found) you can see the wheelhouse was green.

kleurenfoto%20kopie_zpstrdfbudo.jpg

The frontdeck was green also as I was told but the railings were white.

Kind regards, Kees de Mool

Today I finished the wooden deck. It was not easy and I made some mistakes but I am glad with my choice to make a real wooden deck. Later there will be stuff on the deck so it looks even better.

DSCF3102%20218_zps6i4istbm.jpg

DSCF3103_zpsy0emi4j8.jpg

DSCF3104_zpsmq75daen.jpg

DSCF3105_zpspbylurrg.jpg

DSCF3106_zpsqi3jqzpt.jpg

DSCF3110_zpstspo3znt.jpg

DSCF3114_zpso22xtibl.jpg

DSCF3115_zpspl7ayyqn.jpg

DSCF3116_zpsjjcppxyo.jpg

DSCF3118_zpstfnlswgr.jpg

DSCF3119_zpstlcp5sxd.jpg

Edited by kees de mol

that must have been an absolute pain to do!   I don't envy you on the clean up...but when you do,  it's gonna look great!   I use a black archive pen for the calking.....India Ink doesn't seep into the wood as much.  I used to use crayon.....works well,  but scraping needs to be done due to the crumbs and cast off rubbings.   looking at all those nooks and crannies......you did an absolutely spectacular job.   are you going to use a clear poly?   I use semi gloss lacquer, but I've never use it on plastic......I think it would be OK,  if you chose to use it  :)     super job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Progress in the paintshop. It's a real pain in the **s to find out wich collours where to use because I have only black/white pictures but with the help of some old sailors it will be a succes. Al collours will be softened later with washes and dry brush.

spuiten%201_zpsjlqtyo0n.jpg

spuiten%203_zps5ptu1jup.jpg

DSCF3108_zpswqaptgm0.jpg

Edited by kees de mol

except for the yellow mast it starts looking like its straight from a Tintin movie, I am sure there will be plenty of debate among these old salts about the colours, by the way, I think that green looks really authentic, blends well with the other colours

Edited by Jan B.

OMG!!   I remember TinTin  :D    so cool!    super paint work Kees.........really starting to come together.   very interesting how you got the information for the build.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I had planned not to update anymore before I finished the Antje in total but I could not resist to post some progress pictures. Before you look at the pictures please keep in mind that the work is not finished yet. Lots of finising paintwork has to be done and offcourse a matt finish to give a nice uniform shine on the work. First 3 pictures to show the work on the frontdeck and the last pictures one with a Dutch Florin again to show the dimensions. (A florin is less than an inch)

Portside from the bow

DSCF0005_zpsucm2pq13.jpg

Portside from the rear
DSCF0006_zpsdufsdc88.jpg

Starboardside (Iam not satisfied with the wooden deck yet)

DSCF0009_zpskxgmx0dq.jpg

And the last one with a Florin

DSCF0012_zps6wbda8tw.jpg

Edited by kees de mol

Kees,

Just stumbled upon this log - and I'm really bummed I only just caught the tail end! You've made a really impressive ship - it captures the essence of a workboat wonderfully!

~Ben

~ Ben

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Builds:

'Doll-Boat' - 1:12 scale 40' Cruising Sailboat

S.S. Edmund Fitzgerald - 1:350 plastic kit w/ Photo Etch Parts (On Hold)

fore deck looks awesome Kees....really like the colors and layout.   flats always work well in making aspects stand out.   no worries about not being finished,  this is progress!  :)

did you try to add filler to the deck?  it might be a pain to do,  since the deck is populated somewhat,  but perhaps a medium stain or wash will darken it up.

for some plastic kits,  aftermarket wooden decks is done as a sheet,  that can be laid down.   it may have benefited you better,  if a template was made and assembled it that way   {lot of extra work though}.    then it could have been sanded and sealed at that time.   for this reason {besides others},  is why I opted to do wooden deck for my United States,  rather than try planking over the plastic ones.   I like what you did here,  but it might take some effort,  if your still unhappy with it.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Some last progress on the model before completion. I made some decklights out of plastic. Painted and weathered them to make them look like brass. Also made a sail on the reardeck and I finished the deck with some boxes and other things. Last thing to do is to add the (later added) trawlportal and some rigging.

decklights

DSCF0006%202_zpsgosgesxw.jpg

Decklights fitted. Also the nameplate is added

DSCF0009%202_zpsdwfv0acr.jpg

Reardeck

DSCF0014_zpsujm2ym76.jpg

This is how she is now. Its the set-up of the ship like she was build in 1959. Later in 1969 a frontportal was added (as seen earlier in the thread)

DSCF0016_zpsr15255b3.jpg

Edited by kees de mol

wonderful use of color Kees.......she's come together in a big way!  ;)  spot lights look way too cool!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: