Gothenborg by Popeye the sailor - Billing Boats - 1:100 scale

Nice work, Popeye.  She's looking good.

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

thanks Bob........at the moment,  I have a 50 year old babbling child annoying the heck out of me.  I had better get the lights in the tree before she drives me up a wall  :D :D :D    still at work on the ladders.........I made some new ones,  but they look too wide.....made another one....and it still looks too wide.........I'm ready to call a ladder co. and tell THEM what I want....I can just hear the laughter now! :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hey Popeye

I'd try ACME ladder co. 

They have always provided top notch hardware to Wiley Coyote. Just don't get the exploding version.

Isn't it just always something though, seriously. Fix one thing and 2 more things pop up. Luckily that helps us get our moneys worth out of building. More time means less $/hour cost. Unless your using up materials, but as you stated the ladder supplies were raided from the scrape wood box.

yepper........I have plenty of wood scrap.......I throw nothing away.   even the parts panels have a use........either I trace the parts for another build from them,  or I save them in the event I need some  'like wood'  from them.   I'm going to try once more....these,  the third set,  are still a bit too wide.......looks like they would interfere with the gun port lids.   I was sure I got the right measurements.   I'm going to have a good supply of ladders for future builds......GOOD GRIEF!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Maybe you can use them for decorations on the Holiday trio.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

I very well could  :)..........I'll keep it in mind Bob  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I arrived at a higher plateau with the ladder dilemma.   I finally think I have them in correct proportion.  I made the first ones.....the rungs were too thick,  so I made another pair.

post-612-0-83882400-1386357366_thumb.jpg

there was another aspect that I didn't see till later.....they were also too wide.   they spanned the whole gap of the gun port lids.  I needed to narrow them down.   so I made a third pair.....but they came out pretty much the same way.  I didn't do them the same way either,  changing the rung count.....adding,  when I should have been subtracting.  the fourth set is the charm....they are narrower and the rung count has been reduced to 14

post-612-0-88983700-1386358030_thumb.jpg

now I can clean them up and stain them,  so I can continue with what I was doing   :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks John....I still need to stain them......then I can get'em in place and move on

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Great job, Popeye.   You appear to have the situation nailed... or maybe it's roped? 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

thanks Mark  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey Popeye, got any spare rope ladders mate, some guy eating a burger told you may have some.

Well done on the final set mate, they look so much better. It certainly pays to persevere.

Be Good & Stay Warm

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

....bet he said you could pay me tuesday..... :D :D :D

once I got the thickness of the rungs under control........I think it was more of a pain to get the width in order ;)   I work tomorrow......but I'm taking Monday off.  I can get the rest of this done, so I can get back to the shrouds.   my next thought is......on the gun port ropes that will be tied along the railing,  would there be a rope coil when the lids are closed?  I glanced at some of the pictures,  but perhaps one of you fine folks can shed some light on this :)

if you'd like a pair of ladders mate.....I can send you a pair.......make nice ear rings for the misses! :D :D

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Don't know what's technically correct on those gun port ropes, Popeye.  Mine have always gone to cleats.  When the port is closed it's a small coil over the cleat, when it's open it's a larger coil (more turns).  Not a lot of difference really.  Someone like John (Jim Ladd) would probably have a definitive answer.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

post-612-0-74319700-1386550267.jpg

this is the best picture that shows them.   the ropes for the gun port lids are tied from the lids,  up to the railings above.   the lids are opened and closed from the upper deck.   looking at this picture,  it may have answered my question for me......if there is an coil of rope,  it's probably lying on the deck.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The Goth is back!     Still blown away by the colors and the overall look of it!

Rope ladders: Looking good sir!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Not what one would usually expect for gun ports, Popeye!  Logically, with the ports open there must be a small coil of rope - as you say, on deck if it doesn't show in that photo.  With the ports closed, there may well have been just enough rope to make to make fast on the cleat (no point in wasting expensive rope).

John

this is true John........I will leave no coils for them.......there seem to be none here,  just the  'tail'  of the rope is hanging from the rails.  I know that most ship......like the Vic or the Connie,  their ropes are internal.   when you see it........you'll like it.   you might have noticed the ladder.   I didn't model the exact one......I opted for the easy way out ;)   thanks John  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

picking up where I had left off..........the ladders were stained and the given a coat of semi gloss lacquer.

the gun port ropes were tied on first.

post-612-0-68997600-1397137422_thumb.jpg

then the ladder was tied into place,  adding a short rope to aide in climbing up.

post-612-0-54881800-1397137436_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-97439500-1397137450_thumb.jpg

I had a pair of shrouds done,  so I tied this side first,  but didn't tie them off just yet.  I want to make sure that are all done before I do that.  off I go to do the other side  ;)

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

That looks very nice Popeye, love the ladder!  Could you have made the gunport ropes from a darker thread?  Dark tan perhaps?  Just a thought  :)

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

thanks John.    seems odd,  but that's how these ropes are tied.   this does fill out the mid ship quite well......it doesn't look so bland now :)

thanks Piet!   I was going to use another color,  but I look at some of the running rigging bits I've done so far,  and it seems to have lost the white  'white'  look......I'm a bit happy about that.  I used the regular thread since I saw the diameter of the rope used on the actual ship.  I am quite sure that they will  'dirty' up...but when I get the other side done,  I'll look into maybe touching them up with some light stain.

I tried to get some of that Revell thread that they supply in their kits......I like the color.......it's somewhat of a polished thread and doesn't fuzz out,  like the kit supplied thread found in these wood kits.........also,  from my experience,  I've seen around six different diameters of thread.   with a kit of this scale,  compounding thread diameters would seem rather  'over doing it' ......a lot of trial and error,  and the threat of going out of scale is greater.  it nice to have choices though.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Ah, she's a fine looking ship.

Bob

Really well done Popeye, the addition of the hatch ropes nicely rounds it out...AND you have answered how my internal question of how to do it on the mayflower :D   Thanks!!

-Adam

Current Builds

Santa Maria - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

MayFlower - Model Shipways (5/32"=1') POB
Blue Shadow - Mamoli Revolutionary War Brigantine. (Fict) (1:64) POB (Recommissioned as the Kara June)

On The Shelf Waiting so Patiently

USRC Ranger - Corel (1:50) POB

18th Century Longboat - Model Shipways (1:4) POF

La Nina - Artesania Latina (1:65) POB

U.S Brig Syren - Model Shipways (1:64) POB

Completed Builds

Phantom NY Pilot Boat - Model Shipways (1:96) Solid Hull

Decommissioned Builds
(Time and conditions were not good to these. They have been cancelled =( )

Willie L Bennett - Model Shipways (1:32) POF
USRC Harriet Lane - Model Shipways (1:128) Solid Hull

Look'n good Popeye

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

thanks Frank and Bob.........I had been wanting to do these additions for a while now.......finally they are done!   back to the shrouds now ;)

thanks for the good word!

I'm not sure........if you do the railings like I did,  instead of the cap rails,  you could do it with no trouble at all.  either that,  or you would need to install extra cleats.   I do know that the port lid ropes were done this same way.......glad you like it  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The picture clearly illustrates the rope placement, but it seems wrong somehow. Its funny how we get use to something being a certain way and everything else looks wrong. One often has to remember that differing countries handled things in completely different methods.

For Example the French Xebec toggles rather the deadeyes.

Nice work Popeye. Can't wait to see the standing rigging.

yepper.......it's strange,  but the pictures don't lie.   in earlier times,  rigging was distinct with every country.......through time and war,  it changed.......some saw a style of rigging was better than their own....others saw it as a way to mimic their enemies.  I'm glad you like it.... thanks!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

thanks Frank.......got the other side done.  getting a good head start on the huge planking job I'm doing.   Happy Holidays to you and yours as well!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: