Bounty Launch by Canute - Model Shipways - 1/16 - Small

I had to laugh at sljo....  and then stopped... yep.. we do get that way, don't we?   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 months later...

Lawrence, thank you.

I'm hoping the "building boom" down at the depot is winding down. I keep looking at the hull of the launch off on a (well supported) corner of the bench, and wondering when I can have another go at it. Soon....

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

• 1 month later...

Ken,

I came across your log and must say your post regarding the sljo's in your life hit home today. Today is my anniversary, and I am going all in to earn some important build time.

Great work on your longboat.  I will be visiting often.

• 1 month later...

Carl, more like side-tracked. My model RR club has me building several wood and card buildings in Z (1/220) and G (1/24) scales. Most club members are all thumbs with regard to building almost anything. Sad. :(

post-15839-0-73577900-1471375911.jpg

Almost went blind with these, even with good magnification and lots of light. Don't know how Piet did that SIB. :rolleyes:

post-15839-0-69871100-1471375932.jpg

This will end up about 20"/.5 m wide. It is huge! Will have a waterwheel on the right side. Kit instructions were vague. No wonder this guy went out of business. I'm shingling the roof now. Shakes! One at a time. Tedious.

Ken

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Lawrence, as you can see I'm working on stuff, just not ship goodies. I like the way your boats are turning out, but every time I pull the launch out, someone or something crops up. Maybe when it cools down around here. ;)

Ken

Currently applying shakes to the roof and building the water wheel. Doing the roof is tedious. :huh:  I have a dormer for the porch side. That will face the public. ;)  It will look a little decrepit when it's done. :P:)

Ken

Just taking this one out of the box myself.  Gone over the instructions 20 times.  Can you see any reason why a person couldn't add the shear guide tabs after fairing the bulkheads?  I'm thinking that would make fairing easier since you have to go beyond the tabs anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

John, thanks. Just finished a project for my model railroad club, so hopefully, I can get back to my planking. ;)

Everyone, thanks for your patience and encouragement. :D:cheers:

Ken

Well, I glued up one plank next the port garboard. Woo-hoo. :dancetl6:

I tried to form a plank below the sheer board. Gotta go back and relearn Chuck's hair dryer/heat gun technique. ;)

The Admiral about fainted when I told her about the restart. :o

Ken

Well, I thought your admiral would faint because you are using here hair dryer for your build ;)

You'll manage, Ken. A wee bit of learning, and you'll be planking to your hearts content

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I got a cast off. My Admiral can be a gadget gal and buy a new widget from time to time. Some time back I said I wanted to try the heat technique for bending. Next thing I know, I get a hair dryer to practice with. I love her. ;)

Yeah, I was pre-bending that last plank between my thumbs and fingers and I felt a little twinge. I laid it down so that I can do it up properly, instead of pushing it. "use the heat, Obiwan" . :rolleyes:

Ken

• 1 month later...

Thank you all. I am having a fitful restart. Tried the blow dryer bending techniques and promptly broke the wood. :(  In 2 places.  :rolleyes:  Will need to trace the part onto some of the excess or else I will be requesting a new part from the fine folks at Model Expo.

Ken

else I will be requesting a new part from the fine folks at Model Expo.

Good Luck ! Your beard may  be longer than Rip Van Winkle's !! ;) ;) ;)  If the other forum comments are correct. :(

Jack, thanks for your support with ME.  I'll deal with that tomorrow.

Zoltan, thanks. I kind of figured it out when I heard the "snap" of my strake. I think the basswood was pretty well dried out, since I have a very dry basement shop. The first few strakes were bent with the water technique, so I may go back to it.

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Don't sweat it Ken...baby steps. This being a very busy year I have had to ease myself back into shipbuilding.

Matt - aka The Squirrel Whisperer

Current builds - Benjamin W. Latham by Matt

Competed builds - USS Ranger by Matt

HMS Bounty Launch by Matt

18th Century 10" Sea Mortar by Matt

18th Century Naval Smoothbore by Matt

Future builds - Willie L. Bennett Chesapeake Bay skipjack (MS) Half Moon (Corel) Emma C Berry Lobster Smack (MS)US Brigantine Eagle (Corel) New Bedford Whaleboat (MS)

Matt, thanks.

It not that I'm not building, I am. But I got "volunteered" to do some large scale model RR structures for my train club. Built a 1/24 scale water powered grist mill and a small house. The house is a pile of sticks and some so-so plans (hmm, sounds familiar).  The launch sits on the back of my workbench, giving me it's "come hither" looks. And I have a battle station I've been eying with interest.

Ken

• 6 months later...

Lawrence, thank you for the tip. I had tried it earlier, but didn't let the wood soak long enough. I had used this technique with some model RR structures, but soaked the wood with some dilute ammonia. It molded well, but the wood felt "weakened". I'll give the strips a longer soak.

Ken

• 3 years later...

Hi Ken, when's this one gonna continue? I was really enjoying the build 🙂

Tom

Tom (MadDog) McQuiggan.

Member of Nautical Research Guild

Current Build : VAPORETTO MOTOBATTELLO VENEZIANO           Finished Build : AIRFIX 1930 BENTLEY

And Later On : PANART VICTORY BOW SECTION                           Finished Build : BILLING BOATS, ST ROCH

And Later On : EBBRO CITROEN DS21 

HOBBIES : Amateur Radio : Motorcycling : Model Making : Painting/Sketching : FlightSims : Photography : Slave to none!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

All building is on hold until I get the cataracts in both eyes corrected. I need a lot of light to scope out details right now.  It's several months away for those operations. :(

Ken

Ken, here's wishing that the time passes quickly, that the surgery goes smoothly, and that you regain full vision.  I'll be thinking of you as time nears, please keep us informed........Keith

Sure thing, Keith. And thanks for any prayers. March is the time frame for the procedures.

Ken