HMS TRITON cross section by Marius-Scale 1:48

Right here begins my first scratch building POF. Seeing that I know that there are going to be a few mishaps I am using whatever wood I have lying around.

The frame I made out of a 100 year old piece of Oregon Pine floorboard and was pleasantly surprised wit the end result and the ease with which the wood worked. There are a few blemishes but that was mainly due to bad glueing procedure. Will redo .

The Keel is South African white pear and the keelson and false keel is S.African Yellowwood

.I am ready to proceed and am asking for access to the rest of the plans.

post-352-0-98537900-1362297212_thumb.jpg

Thanks for your comments Annodium

Yellow wood has played a very big role in South Africa as furniture and building wood. We do not have a large variety of fine wood and it is getting very scace. Very nice wood to work with

marius

Welcome to the build.

That is some very nice wood. the Yellowwood is very nice. and the pine turned out great.

You will get all the answers you need here. Great group of people.

Enjoy and have fun.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished all the frames

Will most probably redo a couple 
Made two mistakes

Cut to close to the line because I pride myself on my prowess with the Scroll Saw. So I left myself no leeway to correct discrepancies and thus sanded too much wood away.

Because I used a thinned down PVA glue I had some distortion when glueing the wet paper to the wood. One of the builds use a combination of masking tape and glue. Will try that next time. 

Will decide this weekend which frames I am not quite happy with and remake them during the next week and also start on the building board.

Edited by marius

Yes very nice frames Marius.

Just make sure when you mount them that you line them up with a very good jig. Otherwise you might be out a bit like I was on my frames and now I have to make an adjustment to correct it. My frames were not that great because I rushed the job and was not paying attention to the future alignment of the planking and beams. But, that's another story. :)  

Good luck rising the frames. Take your time. We are not in a hurry. Be sure all fits ok and that the frames are exactly in the middle of the keel and all will be fine.

Hope to see more pics in a few days...

Good luck again!

Daniel.