Truly awful question (thread from kits)

This question will get me banned for life, but I have been bounced out of any number of places by very angry fathers.

So many model makers send thread that looks like the attached photo.  I used to try to salvage it, because of incorrect reasoning concerning "supposed to be this way";  now I toss it out.

Is there a way to untangle this mess or is donating it to the land fill the proper battle plan?

Chuck 

post-3838-0-25598200-1420843513_thumb.jpg

Chuck A.

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you even tried.

Ugghh!!!!!!!!! I have pulled my hair out trying to salvage tangled messes like that. It usually ends up in the trash after I decide its not worth the stress.

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Looks like a job for the 'Admiralty' to me,   

You gonna be in a lot of trouble now!    :o

Previous build(mostly) - 18th Century Longboat

Current build - Bounty Launch

Next build - San Francisco by AL

Future build - Red Dragon

Future build - Mayflower from Model Expo

If you think untangling rope is difficult, try fine braided fishing line - now there is a nightmare. I have found that the combination of a lot of patience (as model builders we are all patient people.... aren't we???) combined with tweezers and picking tools from the dental set I bought from Ebay a while ago worked quite well. I am also a strong believer in removing kit supplied thread from the card or plastic bag (on/in which it is often supplied) and transferring it to old fashioned cotton reels. Although still quite cheap, for some reason they have become collectable and are often found in antique/collectable shops. I have got some really good cotton thread from these sources in the past.

post-1505-0-21516900-1420855597_thumb.jpg

post-1505-0-74871400-1420855669_thumb.jpg

Edited by hornet

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

If you're a patient person and have a few days to play around with it, what the heck, go for it. But speaking for myself, I'm with Brian on this and don't or won't use kit-supplied rope. On a lighter note, if you have a teenager around that you'd like to keep out of your hair for a while, there's a perfect project for them.  :D  :D

Cheers  :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

If you're a patient person and have a few days to play around with it, what the heck, go for it. But speaking for myself, I'm with Brian on this and don't or won't use kit-supplied rope. On a lighter note, if you have a teenager around that you'd like to keep out of your hair for a while, there's a perfect project for them.  :D  :D

Cheers  :cheers:

Of give it to the ship's cat.  It'll get stretched and spread from one end of the house to the other.   Then you can just reel it up. :)

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I untangled one of these about a month ago, it took about an hour and a bit of teamwork between me and the missus, and a lot of patience but we got it all untangled, one loop at a time.

Current Build: HMB Endeavour 1:51 (Eaglemoss part work)

Previous Builds: USS Constitution (Revell plastic) HMS Victory 1:96 (Corel) HMB Endeavour 1:60 (AL)

Give that mess of thread to the ship's cat and you are guaranteed to see it emerge from the poop deck and require a trip to the ship's surgeon after a day or so!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Of give it to the ship's cat.  It'll get stretched and spread from one end of the house to the other.   Then you can just reel it up. :)

I tried that and my cat became entangled himself and with long hair I had to cut it out. He looked rather ruff.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Give that mess of thread to the ship's cat and you are guaranteed to see it emerge from the poop deck and require a trip to the ship's surgeon after a day or so!

Valid point, Greg.  I was going for the humor value after I saw friend's cat tear up a ball of yarn last summer.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

For humor value, Mark, you can't beat a cat who has reingested the thread passing from the aft end. Still fixable but expensive.  Ever see the movie "Human Centipede"?

The proceeding was a public service announcement from a licensed professional. Now back to ship model making!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

I believe I have found a solution to this problem.  

I carefully took the mass of line and formed it into a large circle trying not to pull tight on any loose pieces.  I placed that wad of line loosely over a toilet paper tube and determined which end was on the outside of the wad.  I carefully unwound the line, trying not to tug, from the toilet paper roll while my wife wrapped it tightly around another piece of cardboard.

It took only a few minutes to get the line onto the piece of cardboard, you can use any type of spool large enough to hold the line.  Now I can unwind it as needed without any snarls or knots.

PROWE

If someone says something can't be done, it only means they can't do it.

Building:Shipyard - HMS Mercury card madel

Completed Builds:

Wood Models; AL Bluenose II 1989, Corel Toulonnaise 1995, Corel Flying Fish 2000, AL Scottish Maid 2005,

Sergal President 2010, Mamoli Beagle 2011, Corel Eagle 2013, Mamoli Constitution Cross-section 2014, Victory Cross-section 1/98 by Corel 2015, Occre San Francisco Cable Car 2018, Model Shipways Armed Long Boat 2021

Card Models

Christmas Train by PaperReplika 2012, Yamaha DSC11 Motorcycle 2013, Canon EOS 5D Mark II 2014, WWII Tiger I Tank by Paper-Replika 2014, Wrebbit Mercedes-Benz 500K Roadster 2014, Central Pacific no. 60 Jupiter card model 2015, Mirage III 1/30 converted to 1/33 card model 2017, TKpapercraft 1912 Mercer 2021