Frigate Boston by overdale - FINISHED

Thank you gentlemen. I'm afraid it's all still a bit dusty and untidy at the moment but it's getting there.

Dan.

I really like your stern carvings and figurehead reconstruction!

If it wasn't for your excellent research and discussions here I wouldn't have been able to do it at all.

Edited by overdale

• 4 weeks later...

Beautiful, Dan. Makes me wish you had taken and posted higher resolution photos here. Isn't ther also a model of Boston in the Smithsonian Museum by Robert Bruckshaw? Always loved it's lines.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Hi Greg,

I'm afraid I'm the worst photographer imaginable. I'll see what I can do about better pictures.

I didn't know about Robert Bruckshaw's 1799 Boston model. I was under the impression it was the earlier version.  I could be wrong of course. (it's happened before! :)  )

Edited by overdale

This model is quite exceptional! She's exactly as I would have pictured her to be (a bit similar to Essex perhaps) but nothing beats seeing a full quality representation which now exists for all to see. I am quite curious how much records of the stern detailing and figurehead exists and what was used as a guide. The plans from Chapelle of course but what was your thought process in filling the gaps? Again well done!

Charlie

Build on hold: HM Sultana 1/64th scale

Current Build: 31 ton Doughty revenue cutter as USRC Active 1/64th scale (in progress)

Future Interests: Ballahoo, Diligence, Halifax and beyond...

Thank you for the kind words Charlie.

You are right about Essex. I read in Chapelle's book that Boston was very similar to Essex just a little shorter and rounder in the bows and flush decked.  I just made my best guess as to how similar and used a plan of Essex for reference along with the profile drawing of Boston in Chapelle's book. I built bulkheads from the bow and stern towards the middle where I then drew up frames for the midsection and fitted them in between the two ends (if that makes any sense.) Then planked the hull with boxwood. I coppered the bow and stern with Amati plates and then patinated the copper with acid fumes to get the color. The deck is holly and the frames and keel are cherry. It's a commission and the client had seen another model in a similar style so I had to stick to the 'brief and not paint it completely as I would have done if it was mine. I'm fitting it with furled sails too.

For the figurehead and stern details, thankfully I had to look no further than here on this very site where they have been discussed some time back by that font of maritime knowledge Mr Frolic who even produced a superb concept drawing which I shamelessly plagiarized as it was far better than anything I could have thought of and a perfect example of why this place is simply the best site on the web for ship modelers. 

Dan.

Edited by overdale

Ah I see now. Yes sir Frolic is a hero to many of us here myself included. ;) Fair do's I might very well attempt this handsome little frigate myself one day and if so I hope it comes out a nicely as yours has :)

Current Build: 31 ton Doughty revenue cutter as USRC Active 1/64th scale (in progress)

You'll need a secret identity as well. Mild mannered ship enthusiast by day... Shhh ;)

Boston fought three battles: One against the 24-gun French Corvette Le Berceau (which she captured, but was returned to France) , one against several Tripolitan gunboats, one of which she sank, and finally, she engaged a squadron armed French barges off Haiti, in an all day battle, where she sank one or two of those as well, wherein the Boston actually emptied her shot locker! The real Le Berceau appears in the Patrick O'Brien novel, "HMS Surprise", as one of Admiral Linoirs's squadron.

You know Dan, if you wanted to sell copies of your Boston plans, you would have many takers, especially since you have lofted off all the frames. :)

For those of you looking for something unique, there is always the 1799-1814 Frigate USS New York. She was the flagship of Commodore Morris's squadron, and she fought two battles against Tripolitan gunboats and shore batteries. She was a double-banked frigate throughout her whole lifetime. There was a plan to tow her hulk out of Washington and rebuild her in 1813, but she was burned the following year, alongside the Boston, to prevent her falling into the hands of the British. Her lines survive, as does an inboard profile, both of which Chapelle used to reconstruct her. The New York begs to be built. Her stern and carvings need to be reconstructed, but that gives one's imagination a chance to soar !

Edited by uss frolick

Daniel,

I had an opportunity to read through your build log and I'm impressed.  The Boston is really sweet looking.  When I checked your profile I saw you had a website too.  A look was in order.  Again, your work is first rate.  Especially eye-catching is the diorama of the Nuestra  Senora de Atocha going aground.  I will surely pull up a chair and follow the rest of the Boston build.

Tom

Edited by wyzwyk

New York is one id love to do some day. Especially since I am a New Yawker at heart. ;) I may need to pick your brain a bit sir Frolick since Im not sure what info survives regarding the figurehead stern details and deck layouts if any. Thoughts would be most welcomed :)

Daniel,

I had an opportunity to read through your build log and I'm impressed.  The Boston is really sweet looking.  When I checked your profile I saw you had a website too.  A look was in order.  Again, your work is first rate.  Especially eye-catching is the diorama of the Nuestra  Senora de Atocha going aground.  I will surely pull up a chair and follow the rest of the Boston build.

Tom

You are very kind Tom.

I'm glad you liked the website. I'm a general purpose model maker but I seem to be getting a reputation for shipwrecks these days.  Someone posted on the Mel Fisher museum (Atocha) website about the model, "Why would anyone want to buy a model of a sinking ship?"

I'm not sure if its a compliment or not :huh:   

Edited by overdale

And to Tom I would definitely agree that if the Boston plans are ever offered for sale I would most definitely like to acquire a copy. :)

Well yes as does Chapelle's books via the national archives however builders plans for an actual ship and plans for a model are two different things. ;)

Edited by CharlieZardoz

And to Tom I would definitely agree that if the Boston plans are ever offered for sale I would most definitely like to acquire a copy. :)

I'm afraid my scribbles wouldn't make much sense to most sane people Charlie. I only drew the frames for the center section, the rest were just bulkheads.

I will take a look and see if anything can be made of them, (but I doubt it as they are now covered in glue and paint  :rolleyes: )  

Edited by overdale

• 3 weeks later...

She looks fantastic!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Might there be any chance of uploading a few higher quality pics? They are so tiny :)

• 2 weeks later...