Welcome to Model Ship World
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Byrnes Drawplate

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Landlocked123

Landlocked123
  • Members
  • 372 posts
  • LocationThe Nutmeg State
Hi All,

Santa was good enough to bring me a Byrnes Drawplate :).

I've never used a Drawplate before and would appreciate any tips and pointers. Thanks.

Best,
John
  • mtaylor, jablackwell, thibaultron and 1 other like this
Member:
Connecticut Marine Model Society
Nautical Research Guild

russ

russ

Special Contributor

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationBiloxi, Mississippi

I have a Byrnes draw plate and it is the best one I have. It has a great cutting edge at each hole. It is easy to use and I would not trade it for anything.

Insert the material into the side opposite the countersink and then pull it through from the countersunk side of the hole. You can use pliers to hold on to the end while you draw it through. I use my thumb and forefinger, but others use pliers.

You can clamp it to your desk or table, but I have never done that. I hold it in my hand as I work. I can usually get a 5-6 inch length on each piece if I want them that long.

Make sure you have a piece that is not too large for the hole. I draw my bamboo through the same hole several times, angling it differently with each successive pass to ensure I am ready to move to the next hole. Be patient and do not try and work too fast. The faster you go, the more breakage you will have. Also, the more practice you have, the easier it will be to use.

You should experiment with it to see what approach works best for you. Have fun.

Russ

• Ryland Craze, mtaylor, Tadeusz43 and 2 others like this

Jaager

Jaager
  • Members
  • 492 posts
  • LocationNorfolk VA

There are also draw tongs.  They are for gripping wire, but work with

bamboo - if pieces of sandpaper are used as an interface to grip and

you do not squeeze too hard.

drawTongs.jpg

• mtaylor, thibaultron and Canute like this

wefalck

wefalck
  • Members
  • 759 posts
  • LocationParis, France

These tongs really only make sense, when you have a draw-bench. A draw-bench is used for drawing wires, not wood/bamboo. The draw-plate is fixed at one end and at the other there is a chain with a geared winding mechanism, or a belt. The hooked arm of the tongs points upward, while the straight one slides on the bench - in this way the pressure on the wire increases the stronger you pull. Here a historical example from the Internet:

draw-bench.jpg

Source: http://phiden.net/wp.../draw-bench.jpg

I don't think these tongs would be useful to draw material for tree-nails ...

• mtaylor, Captain Slog, John Cheevers and 5 others like this

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Landlocked123

Landlocked123
  • Members
  • 372 posts
  • LocationThe Nutmeg State
Thanks Guys.

Can one draw other woods than bamboo?

Best,
John

Edited by Landlocked123, 26 December 2016 - 10:51 PM.

Member:
Connecticut Marine Model Society
Nautical Research Guild

russ

russ

Special Contributor

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 2,691 posts
  • LocationBiloxi, Mississippi

Yes, any wood can be drawn. Some will probably be better than others. A straight grained material will be best. It will have less breakage be easier to pull.

Russ

Mike Y

Mike Y
  • Members
  • 986 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Yes, I draw a boxwood nails. Requires a nice straight grained piece to cut the strips from, but works fine after some practice. Also works as a reliable mood measurement tool. One must be totally calm when using it - otherwise the piece will snap somewhere in the small hole :)

• mtaylor, gjdale, jbford and 3 others like this

BANYAN

BANYAN
  • SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 1,946 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Victoria

May not be the best technique but I also found it is better to soak the wood to be drawn first; especially bamboo.  

cheers

Pat

Edited by BANYAN, 26 December 2016 - 10:57 PM.

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch) - underway

Next builds:    HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin 1:350)

Built:                Battle Station (Scratch)

HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (1:64)

Dupree Allen

Dupree Allen
  • Members
  • 73 posts
  • LocationClarksville, AR

Has anyone used Orange wood to draw and make nails? From somewhere in the past I have acquired a box of 2500 Orange Wood cuticle sticks. Bound to be useful for something other than glue sticks.

Dupree

"A slow steady hand conquers a fast shaky mind" - me

HMS Triton 1:32 Cross Section

Aussie048

Aussie048

Chief Wood Hacker

• Members
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationMelbourne Australia

Have a look at Hornets Bamboo Skewe spliter.

http://modelshipworl...on/#entry216766.

I made one up and found by loosening up the wing nuts made it easier to pull through the spliter.

I also drill some holes in some aluminium larger than what the the Byrnes Drawplate to the same size as the largest hole in the Byrnes Drawplage is. This takes off chunky bits of the skewer after it has gone through the spliter ready for the Drawplate

Cheers

Geoff

• mtaylor, Brian the extraordinaire, thibaultron and 1 other like this
Current builds - None

On hold builds - All

Captain Slog

Captain Slog
  • Members
  • 810 posts
  • LocationPerth, Western Australia

These tongs really only make sense, when you have a draw-bench.

Thanks for the explanation and photo; I wondered what the curved handle was for.  You learn something new here everyday.

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Build HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood)

Current Build Borodino (1:200 Card)

Abandoned Build Bismarck (Card)

Mazur D-350 (Card Vehicle - External site)

druxey

druxey
  • Members
  • 4,765 posts
  • LocationNiagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada

You will have better control and results if you clamp the drawplate and use both hands to pull the material through.

• Ryland Craze, mtaylor, thibaultron and 1 other like this

Cap'n'Bob

Cap'n'Bob
  • Members
  • 3,543 posts
  • LocationPrescott, Arizona

Of course draw plates were originally used to reduce the diameter of gold and silver wire for jewelers.  The wire was annealed and pulled through from the larger diameter side of the plate to squeeze the wire to the smaller size.  The wire was annealed again and the process repeated as many times as necessary to achieve the desired diameter.  This can be done with brass wire to get that odd size that you cannot find.

Bob

• wefalck, mtaylor, druxey and 3 others like this

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  Two Edwardian launches

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II

In the Gallary:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

wefalck

wefalck
  • Members
  • 759 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Although hardened steel draw-plates were used for brass and iron/steel, these would wear rapidly, resulting in a gradual increase of the diameter. So, today carbide or ruby dies are used for anything harder than copper and, of course, in any commercial context.

I would doubt that drawing your own wire without a draw-bench as illustrated above would be successful. The forces and steady action required would be difficult to apply by simple drawing with elbow grease. The process results in the metal sort of flowing and this has to be maintained also without changing the direction of pull. Otherwise the wire will break.

However, this is digression from the original subject ...

• mtaylor, druxey, Mike Y and 2 others like this

wefalck

allanyed

allanyed

Special Contributor

• SPECIAL CONTRIBUTOR
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationAve Maria, Florida

I usually grasp the wood with a folded piece of sandpaper between my thumb and finger but resort to pliers now and then.    The sand paper gives better control.  Everything else Russ said as well......  

Allan

• mtaylor, ChadB, thibaultron and 2 others like this

Current Builds Litchfield (50) 1730, Effie M. Morrissey  

I can explain it to you but I can't comprehend it for you - Ed Koch, former NYC mayor

lehmann

lehmann
  • Members
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSurrey, BC, Canada

Although hardened steel draw-plates were used for brass and iron/steel, these would wear rapidly, resulting in a gradual increase of the diameter. So, today carbide or ruby dies are used for anything harder than copper and, of course, in any commercial context.

Also, commercial drawing machines flood the die with oil, which lubricates the hole and takes away heat.   Even for hand drawing of metals, some oil, wax or grease is recommended to reduce wear of the holes and to reduce the required pulling force.  This is, of course, messy if done by hand, so I can see how a drawing bench would be desirable.  

Bruce

• USS Constitution: Scratch build solid hull 1:96 scale
  • Member Nautical Research Society

Cap'n'Bob

Cap'n'Bob
  • Members
  • 3,543 posts

Yes but it was done by hand for many years before someone came up with the bench idea.

Bob

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

wefalck

wefalck
  • Members
  • 759 posts
  • LocationParis, France

I believe draw-benches existed since the Middle Age. There is also a variety, where the drawn wire is wound up on a reel that also transmits the pulling force.

wefalck

Cap'n'Bob

Cap'n'Bob
  • Members
  • 3,543 posts

My first knowledge of a draw plate was in one of the French classics, which I read as a teen.  The author described a man, earning a living by, sitting on the floor bracing the draw plate with his feet while he pulled the gold wire for the jeweler. 

Bob

• mtaylor and Canute like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome GUEST to the Model Ship World Community.
Please LOGIN or REGISTER to use all of our feautures.