Robert Wiltsie a Hudson River Sloop by NJQUACK - 1:87 - Finished

The subject of this build comes from the book “The Sloops of the Hudson River” by Paul E. Fontenoy.

post-19770-0-82291100-1458652572_thumb.jpg

Plan 4 from the book will be used.  It is “Sloop Robert Wiltsie, built by William Dickey at Nyack,

New York, in 1836.  Lines taken off original half model by Charles G. Davis;  head, stern, 

and deck details reconstructed.  (YACTHING, FEBRUARY 1933)”

post-19770-0-15529200-1458652614_thumb.jpg

I have decided to build this ship out of Bamboo.  I have a small grove in the back yard which will 

provide the material.  I splits easy using a pair of wire cutters.  A finishing plane and sandpaper 

are used to square up planks and timbers.

Walter

post-19770-0-78893900-1458652652_thumb.jpg

post-19770-0-03367100-1458652696_thumb.jpg

post-19770-0-93152700-1458652749_thumb.jpg

post-19770-0-57308000-1458652798_thumb.jpg

post-19770-0-80089700-1458652826_thumb.jpg

Edited by NJQUACK

The Hudson river sloops were interesting as is your making it with bamboo. 

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Bob,

Thank you.  So far so good with the bamboo. I sure have enough of it.  We'll see where it goes.

Tom.

Thank you.  I'll definitely check it out.  Studying the details will sure help when I get further on.

Walter 

This is going to be interesting! Will you paint the ship, or leave the bamboo showing?

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Hi,

I would like to thank everybody for their likes and comments.

The keel, stem post, stern post and dead wood have been created and glued.

I’ve now started working on the frames.  I have to take care to prevent unwanted splits also 

I’m finding carving tools (chisels, finishing plane, cooping saw) are working out better than 

more conventional hobby tools (number 11 blades etc.).

Walter

post-19770-0-15747500-1458909185_thumb.jpg

post-19770-0-02853600-1458909226_thumb.jpg

post-19770-0-67312000-1458909251_thumb.jpg

This should prove to be an interesting build.  I have rarely seen bamboo used for model building.  

.David B

Hi,

Thank you Bensid54 and David.  The type of Bamboo I'm using is Yellow Grove.

So far so good.  This type has a nice flat spot which is allowing me to make some nice wide planks which will come in handy for spiling. 

Walter

post-19770-0-43191000-1459519169_thumb.jpg

post-19770-0-50252000-1459519212_thumb.jpg

Bensid54,

Cutting the lengths are easy, I use a pair of wire cutters.  A good crimp will cause a nice split down the length.  Once the split has started just pull it apart.

A finishing plane and sand paper are use to complete the plank.

From my bamboo I can get 9 inch (230 mm) lengths.

Walter

Thanks for the explanation Walter. From what I can gather you could laminate the bamboo to make your own beams, lumber and even plywood. Beams and plywood made from bamboo would be incredibly strong, I find this very interesting. The keel you made Walter is likely tougher than anything out there, warping would likely be kept to a minimum.

SawdustDave uses bamboo for his builds lately.  As I recall, he buys the bamboo cutting boards from Wal-Mart, etc. especially when they go on sale and cuts the planks, etc. from those.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I like it.   But then, I like anything that bends easier than ebony so your milage may vary.     On the serious side, most of the scratch builder (or maybe many?) use boxwood planking.   I use swiss pear on my build and it worked a treat.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Nice framing Walter! I look forward to your next update.

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

And you did a little happy dance singing, "She floats, She floats".   Looking good, Walter, looking good. 

Bob

Edited by Cap'n'Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray