Jump to content

Old Collingwood

  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by Old Collingwood

  1. I have found by using the Tamiya primer spray first it keeps most of the paint on. I try and do any photo etch that does not need bending is best done this way as the detail does not get lost. It binds so much better.

    Thanks for that greg,   i am using the Lifecolour Acrylics and they do seem to dry very tough also with the acrylic varnish, i am hoping this will be both flexible and tough?



  2. Stanchions added, stern and bow bitts scratch built. I know they look a bit wonky, but once I have had the pain of threading about 300 tiny needles to add the rails, I will align them properly s they won't go flying off. They are each 2.5mm tall. You can just see the fairleads from Park at Artwox which come up a treat.

    THe true sign of a model making genious is when it can sail through the scrutinizing view that a camera shows worts and all,   Fantastic Work Greg.



  3. Hi frank long time no speak - you are doing a fabulous job there my friend she is looking so life like, its amazing how much time boat building and other duties can take up, and how the time just flies awayyyyy.


    Keep up the lovely work  i know a man who would be looking down on you and he would be very proud of what you have achieved :dancetl6:



  4. Added a bit more to the rear block today - with the small assemblies in the Tub,  and the two other fittings on the roof, i also put the direction finding device together and cut out the two slots each side that are look out windows, i then painted the area black before putting it together.


    Also here is a pic of my box in progress showing a few bits and pieces...


    Heres the pics -






  5. Work tommorow will consist of - constructing the framework for the radar bodies to go inside the tub, as i understand that although the lattice work for the radars was omited during 1944, the bodies of these was left in situ in the tub,  next will be to fit the two additional box like structures on the roof, then attach the davit poles and the etch supports for these, although this does not sound much - there is quite a bit of work involved just in this stage.




  6. Carried on with more work on the rear block paying attention to the radar direction finding tub, this was attached after painting the inside.


    Here are a couple of pictures taken with my new FZ300 bridge camera, much more appropriate for close up work than a DSLR with long zoom like i had before.





  7. Like most things of a weighted nautical nature i think we as builders follow to many strait lines, when perhaps we should follow more curviture and  shape, all of the drawings and paintings or even modern ships i have seen show a subtle but deffinate curve that not only follow decks but details and fixtures.



  8. Nearly done with the funnels. A primer coat, fix the gaps that show up, top coat and add some brass horns. I scratch built the pipes on the sides, and added some vents to the top as described in the plans. It's amazing how far we've come since the 1995 kit with aftermarket and bloodymindedness. You can compare what the kit gives you to the possibilities.

    She is looking amazing my friend - your eye for detail is incredible, for me to achieve that i would need a scope ontop of my magnifier....



  9. Right Then.....Back in the saddle......I found my mojo hidding in the cuboard under a pile of aircraft spotting log books(cough cough-thats another story), so i got to the table opened up my modeling bag and got the bits out that i was last working on, after blowing off about 10 years worth of dust(slightly less) LOL.


    The idea was to re touch up a small painted area on the rear cluster as under close inspection it looked Rough, i had gone O.T.T with a bit of weathering and the paint just looked rubbish, so i decided i would gently re paint but this time (lesson learned) i used my magnifier stand to aid my very very poor eyesight, its  so bad i once read a strip of wall paper thinking it was a newspaper(well not really but could have done) LOL.

    It was going quite well and under magnification i could see the improvement.


    It was only an hours work but it was a vast improvement over my previous painting, the only thing was - a step dissaster in the shape of etch as it fell orf and even under magnification could i put it back on?  could i ek  so its left off and the sailors will just have to jump down not climb LOL.


    Thats it till next chapter probably in a year or so - No only joking i will be back on doing a bit later. :dancetl6:


    OC. :D

  10. Yes, I did notice there were some seriously fiddly photo etch parts from reading some old build blogs online. I have had some practise by building some of the range of metal earth models.

    Cant be any worse than 350 scale surely?  when i did my first bit of etch on my Warspite(just a ladder and small platform) i was holding my breath - told the wife not to talk - turn down the TV and hold onto the cat to stop her jumping on the table /work bench, it was murder and i am yet to do those tinny tiny little little little orke  machine guns that i can hardly see let alone put together...... :o  :o  :o 


    But we all endure and manage some how ;):D



  11. I thought i should show my face to say to all who follow  - I am still alive just having one of those lost lojo type thingies (I know i put it somewhere) :huh:


    Anyway when i find my steam i will be back on the build and ship shape and bristol fashion, as i have a back log of part built ships and a sub not even touched, and the wife keeps shakkking her head at me and says " I am yet to see you finish anything" :o :o :o:rolleyes:


    OC :)

  • Create New...