H.M.S. BOUNTY by Jerry's Admiral - FINISHED - Amati - Scale 1:60

Sorry to hear that Charlene has felt it necessary to stop work on the Bounty Jerry - she was clearly enjoying learning from you. I'm sure your build buddy will return in due course.

Message to Charlene:

Sorry to hear that work is interfering with a hobby you enjoyed so much. Just remember, when retirement comes, you know that you will have a hobby and the time to enjoy it. (Oooooo Ended with a preposition in a message to a teacher.) how about ........a hobby for which you will have the time to enjoy.

You do great work. Come back soon.

To Grant, Brian and Michael..

I have forwarded on to Charlene your thoughts regarding her decision to postpone her model building "career."  She was touched by your response and asked me to please convey that.  She has discussed retirement and we thought that would occur at the end of this school year.  But,Charlene is now a bit hesitant about that and thinks one additonal year may be necessary to assure our finances will be sufficient to support the decision to leave her job.

So, I'll carry on with Bounty and look forward to Charlene's trying again in a year or so.

Many thanks again for your kind words.

Best,

Jerry.

Hello ..

A little more progress on the Bounty.  It looks like all the lower stays are now rigged so I think I'll proceed with the top masts so the rest of the stays can be rigged.  The rat lines still need to be finished but they'll have to wait until the upper shrouds are rigged.  Things seem to be going well even though we're missing parts needed when we get to attaching the yards.  More about that later.  Here are a few more pictures.

Best regards,

Jerry

post-545-0-06930000-1454961445_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-00736000-1454961454_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-67987600-1454961461_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

sorry to hear about Charlene.........I hope she does continue somewhere down the road.   she 's a very talented modeler.   the Bounty is coming along nicely Jerry  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hello Popeye...and many thanks for your positive remarks.  I'll certainly pass your feelings along to Charlene; she'll be happy to know that you expressed your feelings.

Take care,

Jerry

Hi Everyone..

We've made a little more progress over the past several days.  At this point in the build we're rying to complete the upper shrouds and tying them to their respective tackle.  We decided to break up the monotony by serving the shroud lines and tying them to their deadeyes one mast at a time .  So far we have completed the upper shrouds of the foremast and have some pictures to show of this.  We also have some pictures of prior progress and their captions will explain what they are.  Hope everyone has a great day.

Jerry and Charlene

post-19054-0-10341400-1455726552_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-63029400-1455726571_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-07960000-1455726582_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-73445600-1455726592_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-53121200-1455726610_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-96877200-1455726618_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-05418900-1455726631_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-28802600-1455726639_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-87979200-1455726645_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry's Admiral

ohhhhh,  I wish this post had sound   ;)   you'd hear the biggest Popeye laugh,  I kin muster!  post-612-0-17163400-1455925607.gif

glad to see you still work'in on the bounty.........very nice!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

nice to see the great team work

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hey Popeye,

What's so funny?  

We (and I mean we) got about half the rat lines finished during the past few days.  Pictures will follow in a day or two. Jerry said that the Italian directions are driving him crazy.  He's busy studying them trying to figure out the rigging.  I'm happy that he has experience and knows the general configuration of the running rigging.  I guess he plans to use McKay's book for heavy reference. 

Kevin, thanks for the look-in.  It's always nice to hear from you.

Charlene

Hi Lawrence,

Thank you so much for stopping by our log and especially for the nice things you have said about the Bounty.  Jerry went to your African Queen log two dqys ago and called me into the room to look at your progress.  I stil can't stop talking about how beautiful your workmanship is and about the gorgeous details you have included in your build.  The boiler and engine areas are unbelievable.  How do you manage to get such detail done in such small parts? I think you are a magnificent builder but I always believed that after having seen your other work from Victory and Annie.  Thanks again for stopping by.  I'm writing this from school and I have to get back to the kids now.

Take care,

Charlene

Charlene and Jerry, wow

Your Bounty is coming along nicely.

I have McKays book as well, a true bible and guide.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to this site and a returnee to modelling (I used to do a lot of armoured vehicles and figure dioramas in my youth, super detailed cars in my late teens and aircraft in my very early 20's. Since then, a 20 year career in the Royal Navy, two marriages, a couple of kids, houses... No further explanation required I guess.) Anyhow, many years ago, I bought an Amati Bounty kit & then allowed more "life" to get in the way. A few weeks ago, I found myself in the situation where I have a leg in plaster. Feeling initially sorry for myself, I had one of those EUREKA! moments. I pulled the box from the cupboard and set to work spending money on the tools I don't have ans some that I just plain decided to get.

At the time of writing, my Bounty is at the stage where I have glued the frames to the false keel and I'm about to start fairing the frame sections, bow etc... Thankfully, I tripped over this thread and saw the idea of balsa blocking the bow section - something that I will certainly be putting into practice!

I would like to pick everyone's brains if I may though. Just a few questions for now, I'm sure there will be MANY more in the months to come

A) Is it worth doing the balsa block thing at the stern too... To fair the shape in and have something sold to plank to?

B) I will confess to not having read all the way through the instructions yet, so would ask if the kit is designed to be "double planked" as this lovely lady has done?

C) I really like the copper on the hull. I haven't ever wanted to get the copper effect with paint but I realise that copper isn't supplied with the kit. Is there a thread that gives tips etc? And if buying copper to do the job, what thickness and do I get sheet or strip etc? Does it come embossed or is it a long slog putting the nail effect on?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts, pointers, answers etc.. I look forward to having the Mickey taken!

Phill.

PS. My "Long Haired Admiral" gives me no end of grief because whilst we both served and both made it to the dizzy heights of Petty Officer, she did 22 years whilst I was retired on medical grounds after "only 20 years".

Hi Bob

So nice of you to "pop in" to our site.  Jerry and I welcome you to visit us more often and to comment on our progress as we proceed with the construction of HMS Bounty.  There are some very big differences in the two manufacturer's kit of Bounty and it's just a matter of taste as to which version one prefers.  I can say one thing for sure...The Amati kit is made very difficult because there have been a few parts, both wooden and metal, missing and of course, the instructions are in Italian.  We did manage to get some of the directions translated but so much is still in Italian, the degree of difficulty is higher than usual.

In any event, thank you for your kind words regarding rhe progress of our build and the best of luck to you on your HMS Bounty.

Charlene

Hello Phil and many thanks for coming to see us.

Let me start by saying that we wish you the best and hope you will visit us with any questions or information you may have.  

So, in answer to your questions. I have asked Jerry to take over this post because his experience is much greater than mine...

Hi Phil...this is Jerry speaking..

Yes, it is definitely worth it to use the balsa blocks forward and aft as the surface gained for the strip planking is imperative.  The sharp angles at these points in the model make it difficult to strip plank without a surface to glue to.

The hull is double planked as the instructions call for except below the waterline.  Since we chose to use copper plates in this area we felt it unnecessary to double plank the bottom of the hull.  We were lucky to obtain the copper plates from Herman in Germany who is building the HMS Victory and chose not to copper clad his hull.  So when I heard him say this I offered to purchase the copper plates from him.  I did, and they're now on the HMS Bounty.  While the scale of the Jotika HMS Victory kit is different than the Amati HMS Bounty kit, the difference is not that much so the Victory kit copper plates worked out well.  You can buy these plates from Cornwall Model Ship Comapny in the UK.  These plates are already dimpled and one doesn't have to do anything except glue them (we used CA cement) to the hull.

Even though we are not British, Charlene and I wish to thank you for the service you and your admiral have given to your country and please feel free to contact us if we can be of any further help.

Charlene and Jerry

@ Charlene

Thank you for your good luck wishes :)

You are right about the instructions mine are translated from Spanish but there are so many mistakes besides the language problem in the instructions it makes no difference lol.

I usually build the Caldercraft kits as they are written in english from scratch and not translated :)

@ Phil

The plates they are referring to are located here http://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/amati-copper-plates.html

The nearest scale plates for yours are the 1/64

Edited by Cobr@

Hi Jerry, hello Admiral,

Thank you for your replies. The only problems I've had (so far) with the Amati is the instructions. It does come with an Engilsh translation, but it's still a little sketchy as I'm sure you're aware.the cuts are good and clean, the come away well with little filing or sanding to be done... Although the frames took a little extra to allow the joints to fit well once glue was applied.

As it happens, after posting yesterday, I did some web searching and found that Cornwall Model Boats (who I think I must be a shareholder in by now) do indeed sell Coppering kits in 1/64... At least I don't have to order this month! LOL I also found a very informative video on You Tube which I will watch fully prior to that stage of the build. As I can't get to the craft shop before tomorrow, ive taken a little time to build a few "extraneous bits" like the flag locker, pumps, anchors etc. I was going to attempt the two stern lanterns too but cannot, for the life of me find my soldering iron (yes, in England there is an 'L' in there LOL)

I had pretty much decided to balsa aft too before I read your reply but I'm glad that my head was going the right way in that respect. I'm hitting hobbycraft in the morning!

I considered the caldercraft kits but all the reviews I read, the Amati were the "better". I bought a Model Slipways "Fair -a-Frame" as a building jig... Very unimpressed - to the point that I've contacted the importers. The "overburn" on their laser cutting leaves the parts looking like they were a part of the mayor of Nagasakis desk, the instructions are convoluted (to say the least) and then there is an addendum changing LOTS of measurement specifications. Unfortunately, come of the enlarged measurements haven't been applied to the parts, so I had to adjust some slots. This has left the fit imprecise and so some parts came out of true on the first assembly... Then I find that there is so little false keel on this kit that the fair a frame is 7/8 useless to me anyway! To give them their due, the importers HAVE offered me a refund, though as I continued to construct the thing. I even went as far as to re-write the instructions (with the correct measurements) so that they made sense! We'll see

Thank you for your thanks and compliments. Something that sadly doesn't happen in this country... To the degree that servicemen and women often feel like second class citizens (they are seldom allowed to wear uniform off base for fear of "causing offence") and veterans get NOTHING other than their (meagre) pension. Because I was disabled from the military (51% broken) I get a little more but am made to feel beholden for it and it precludes me receiving any benefit if, for instance I am made unemployed! But I'll get off my high horse in that respect...

Thanks again and I'll keep in touch.

Regards

Phill

Good morning, Phil..

We appreciate your quick and informative response.  It's too bad that retired military personnel are treated the way you have said.  In the States it's really different although a lot of people complain the the Vetrerans Administration is really screwed up.  I, Jerry,  am an army veteran.  I was an officer in the US Army Corps of Engineers and spent my time at the Army Engineer School at Ft, belvoir, Virginia teaching combat engineering.  Fortunately i had a little athletic talent so I also played baseball for the Base and that allowed me a few more perks than normal.  Two of my children were born at the army hospital at Ft. Belvoir for a total cost of $11. The veteran benefits here are excellent.  The medical facilities around the nation are state of the art and available at no charge to all veterans.  I pay very little for my various medications.

Now back to the Bounty...

The main rat lines are finished and all that remains in that catagory are the rat lines for the futtock shrouds.  I plan to make the futtocks today  and attach them to the shrouds soon after.

Here is a picture of the Bounty with the completed main shroud rat lines.

I hope you continue to enjoy your build and I wish you a great day,

Jerry

post-19054-0-16969900-1456760001_thumb.jpg

the shrouds look great.......Bounty is coming alone nicely.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hello Popeye.

Thanks for your comments.  The Futtock shrouds and their ratlines are now completed so it's back to the stays in order to complete them before starting the running rigging.  That means shaping the yards and the rest of the bowsprit.  Coming along.

Hope you are well.

Charlene and jerry

Hello Lawrence,

Sorry to hear that you are still suffering from that cold.  Hope you get well soon.  Yes, we have been looking at the other builds that we can find and managed to complete the futtocks and their ratlines.  We are now checking McKays book in order to verify the rest of the stays.  The plans are worthless so we have to rely on McKay and Navis Factorum's beautiful but incomplete log site.  I haven't found any other Amati builds on the forum.  Anyway, here are some more photos as to where we are presently.

Have a great day,

Charlene and Jerry

post-19054-0-88989800-1457029186_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-28992600-1457029197_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-14651900-1457029213_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-09152300-1457029228_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-28898300-1457029239_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-68882600-1457029254_thumb.jpg

Hi Admiral, hi Jerry,

That is looking GOOD! I'm very impressed! If mine turns out even one quarter as good, I'll be happy.

There is a book... Not easy to track down as its out of print but there are some going second hand in the US at the moment.

It's called; "Anatomy Of The Ship - The Armed Transport BOUNTY" by John McKay. Printed by Conway Maritime Press Ltd. ISBN 0-85177-502-0

It gives a little of the ships history and HUGE amounts of data and drawings in both elevation and isometric.

My build is coming on, frames are set, the bow and stern are mostly blocked with balsa (that wood has increased in price to an eye watering degree since I bought it last!) and I'm just awaiting some balsa filler to complete the job before starting work on the big cabin part... Gonna need some help there I think.

Hi Everyone..

I'm really excited for a couple of reasons.  Spring break is starting and we have completed the standing rigging on our Bounty.  Unfortunately we are not very good photographers but when all is said and done we will find some good beck ground material and take a lot of closer and better (we hope ) pictures.  Jerry decided not to glue the stays between the masts as they will probably need some adjusting when the running rigging begins.  It's amazing how easy they lose their tension. Therefore, you may note little thread ends at different places where the stays meet the masts.  He thought it would be better to leave a small tail of thread in case these adjustments had to be made. So, it's also off to the drill press and make the yards and boomkins....

Of course the other thing we did was to attach the jib boom to the bowsprit so we are probably in deep trouble now.  As Shipyard Sid (David) says, now there's a "pointy thing" to break all the time.  I promised Jerry I'd be careful but truthfully, it's not me I'm concerned about, if you know what I mean.  Jerry broke the "pointy thing" on the HMS Victory numerous times so I hope he learned a lesson.

As I said the photos are not very good and we'll do much better later on becasue we'll get some type of background that will be a good contrast for the details.

Talk to you all later,

Charlene

post-19054-0-79438500-1457640885_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-21173700-1457640897_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-26038300-1457640906_thumb.jpg