H.M.S. BOUNTY by Jerry's Admiral - FINISHED - Amati - Scale 1:60

My hubby, Jerry (see HMS Victory by Jerry and/or Half Moon by Jerry), said I will get lots of help and encouragement if I create a log of my neophyte attempts to buid this beautiful model.  I should have named myself "Jerry's Apprentice" because I have convinced him he CAN talk me through this build.  Since I work full-time, this will be a long build not anywhere near Jerry's usual speed.  But after watching him work on his 3 builds, I have caught the bug and am ready to try it myself.  I am very territorial of anything I create, so don't expect the beauty and precision of one of his builds.  But I am also a perfectionist, so I am hoping it will turn out looking really good. Please post any comments if you think I am in need of any guidance.  I know from experience my hubby doesn't know everything, even though he is usually right ;)

post-19054-0-72404400-1428095870_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry's Admiral

Hi Jerry's Admiral,

Gotta love the Bounty....like yourself I'm on my first build as well (the AL version of the Bounty).

I'm sure you'll do just fine, particularly with an experienced husband to help you along.

Take your time and have fun.

Good luck,

Boyd

Boyd 

Current Build - HMS Bounty - Artesania Latina - Scale1:48

Thanks, Glen, for where to find the self-healing mat.  I picked one up right away instead of having one shipped like I had to for some tools, and the two lamps (one a magnifier). And thank you to David in England and Lawrence in Canada... it's like encouragement from family as I have been following your builds with Jerry for ages, and J. with the Half-Moon!  CPS_Skybolt...I hope the day's problems vanish, since I end the teaching day with 13-14 year olds!

I have spent two hours tonight unwrapping the pieces and matching them to the plans.  Then I had fun and frightened Jerry by putting the skeleton together.  When I brought it to him, he thought I had glued it together before having him check it.   Very funny face!

post-19054-0-97494200-1428371790_thumb.jpg

hello Charlene....aka:  J.A.   a big welcome from the northeast!   always glad to see new modelers enter the fold.......I think your going to enjoy it as much as we do!   your right on track.........that's what we usually do........dry fit the frame.......and then sit there and think.   are those plans 1:1 with the model?   I like the way they show the parts.  not to put an idea in your mind,  but this particular hull is fairly common to a couple of other ships........a scratch build could very well come from those plans  ;)     ..........that is,  if you want to scare Jerry further :D  :D    ain't I a stinker!  :D :D

I look forward in seeing your progress  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Popeye.  Thanks for the welcome!  I thought about "Olive Oyl" as a screen name, but them decided it would sound like I was your admiral instead of Jerry's.   I pulled the scratch build gag today with Jerry after I got frustrated with looking at the plans and all the parts, but he didn't buy it.  He knows me too well.   Below is the sum total of what i finished today. Regards, Charlene

Hello to my encouragers.  I started gluing the frame, then ran into some fit problems with the reinforcement pieces, so thank goodness for the scroll saw in the garage.  Also had to cut notches for two of the masts.  I am waiting for glue to dry and my master builder's approval before i go further.  I am ready for my "novice" badge now that I've actually started doing something irreversible.  I've included photos to commemorate this big day.

post-545-0-78029100-1428805223_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-69968800-1428805259_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-50292900-1428805292_thumb.jpg

post-545-0-09273000-1428805320_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerry

Sorry folks but the above 2 posts are from Jerry's Admiral and not from me. Don't know what happened.

Jerry

Edited by Jerry

Hi Charlene,

Another warm welcome from "downunda"! Looks like you've made a great start already. As far as you saying that Jerry is not always right goes, as a husband I can assure you that these days I find myself more often certain than I am right! :) I hope you enjoy your build and the camaraderie of this great community called MSW.

looking very good Charlene......it Ok about the Olive Oyl thing..........my admiral doesn't even like it when I calls  'er that  Ak-k-k-k-k-k! ;)   everything you do now,  with the frame,  is gonna pay big time when ya gets to tha far'in an' plank'in  :)    nice to see your hav'in fun!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I am having fun, J., but this is NOT as easy as it looks.  I am hoping now that I am doing things permanently that I can overcome any problems I may be creating with my inexperience.  I would hate to be in trouble with you-know-who.  I have spent about 8 hours finishing the reinforcements, learning how to measure and cut strips for planking, and then planking.   Think I'll take it easy for a few days and go back to my teaching job (HA!)

post-19054-0-13744200-1428885013_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-03759300-1428885042_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-52623900-1428885072_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-86028800-1428885114_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-17252900-1428885134_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-59067200-1428885143_thumb.jpg

Hi Charlene,

Your planking a-midships looks good..nice spacing, just a suggestion if you don't mind, you may want to consider adding more reinforcement to the bow?  It can really help when it comes time to plank on a bluff bow vessel by giveing more glue area where the plank bend is the most severe.

J

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, J.  I have followed the advice, and with plenty of coaching from my First Mate, have filled in with balsa wood and shaped the bow.  I also sanded the aft frame 16 to prepare for planking.  It was a busy week, so didn't get anything else done.  I took a couple of photos just to prove I did it.  Hope everyone's weekend was nice.

Charlene

post-19054-0-57687000-1430087910_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-02623700-1430087923_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-32938400-1430087932_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-13499800-1430087941_thumb.jpg

she looks good and that blocking, though it can be a pain, will pay big dividends later...tell the first mate I said congrats on NYR series win.

J

the prep before planking can be a slow process.........just take your time and don't push it.   shaping is very important.   your doing great!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 3 months later...

So...after 4 months of goofing off I have finally been able to get back to my beloved Bounty.  There was so much happening this summer regarding houdehold renovations and such that I found it impossible to do any modelling..(the boat kind, that is.)  But I believe I'll be able to stay back at it and so here are a couple of pictures of my newest work.  I attached the transom and the port and starboard bulwarks in preparation for beginning the planking of the hull.  I hope my instructor won't get bored becuase I take three times as long aasking questions before puttin tool or glue to the ship.  Actually, he's been pretty goos about everything except for snapping the whip these past four months trying to geet me to do somethng constructive.  But, I'm on my waY.

Charlene

So...after 4 months of goofing off I have finally been able to get back to my beloved Bounty.  There was so much happening this summer regarding household renovations and such that I found it impossible to do any modelling...(The boat kind, that is.)  But I believe I'll be able to stay back at it and so here are a couple of pictures of my newest work.  I attached the transom and the port and starboard bulwarks in preparation for beginning the planking of the hull.  I hope my instructor won't get bored because I take three times as long aasking questions before putting tool or glue to the ship.  Actually, he's been pretty good about everything except for snapping the whip these past four months trying to get me to do something constructive.  But, I'm on my way.

Charlene

post-19054-0-41695700-1439329085_thumb.jpg

post-19054-0-37031400-1439329093_thumb.jpg