Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Hello all and thanks for visiting and the likes.

No, I have not been AWOL!  I posted a progress report a few days ago but it somehow vanished into cyber space.  When I wanted to add another update yesterday I found out it was gone.  I was one ticked-off dude and it was too late to re-post the one that's lost.

In the meantime, our daughter Marianne and grandson Troy drove down from the Pittsburgh, PA area and stayed with us over the Holidays.  Needless to say I got very little time in the shipyard, except for a few hours showing Troy how I make a few things.  He has two left hands when it comes to tools and making stuff but he really liked the VOC ship and was totally blown away by his great grandfather's sub, the O19.  I had to demonstrate all the things that work.

I started to make six "kruishouten" and six "hoorn klampen" with "korvijnagels."  Sorry but I don't know the English names for these things, must be something specially Dutch.  The first item is for belaying rigging and is fastened to the bulwarks.  The second item is attached to the lower part of the masts, one on each side.  These are to belay the "parten" coming from the yardarms. 

In later pictures you can see where they will be cemented to.  A picture is worth many words, specially when all this ship talk is still kinda foreign to me ;)

post-1399-0-85837000-1452048654_thumb.jpg

The thingies on the paper are the main parts for the "kruishouten"  They are from 1.5 mm boxwood and I glued them to paper tom prevent the wood from braking when filing them into shape.  Below them are three "hoorn klampen, next to them two pulley knight-heads and then a bunch of eye bolts.  I made the knight heads in case I need them for the running rigging as well as the eye bolts.  There will be planks cemented to the back of each kryishout so bulwark wont inhibit the ropes to be belayed.   At this stage of the game I still don't really know for sure if I need the knight heads but the eye bolts will be needed.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

This is the post I planned to issue yesterday, or was it day before yesterday, but had to postpone it till now.

In the meantime The "kruishouten" and "hoorn klampen" were finished and cemented to their various locations.  A literal translation is "cross woods" and "horn clamps". 

There is of course a change coming with the kruishouten but that 'll be for another day.

post-1399-0-69185500-1452049737_thumb.jpg

This shows the kruishouten cemented to the bulwark, port side, waist.  Hmmm, kinda small - - -

post-1399-0-04339500-1452049864_thumb.jpg

This shows the kruishouten as well as one of the hoorn klamped to the mainmast.

post-1399-0-12586200-1452049912_thumb.jpg

Here we see one of the two hoorn klampen with their karvijnagels cemented to the foremast.  The karvijnagels acts as belaying pins but are permanently attached to the klampen.

post-1399-0-55869200-1452050166_thumb.jpg 

Looking at the pictures with the kruishouten cemented to the bulwarks they seem too small.  I decided to make them a little larger and see how they look.  I kinda like the size - - unless Jan thinks they are no good and need a different shape and be a little heavier.  I copied the idea from the Prins Willem book.  No problem with that, I can easily rip them out and redo them.  I'm so used to redoing that it's becoming routine  ;)  :rolleyes:

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet,

Looking good.

I am going to rig my Unicorn as per Lees. What you refer to as "kruishouten" he refers to "kevels" and what you refer to as "hoorn klampen" he simply calls "pin rack on mast"(!). I am interested in your experience with these items because it will probably help me.

By the way, if Troy has two left hands when it comes to tools then he should do very well (I am left handed ;)  :)).

​ 

Edited by ianmajor

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Hello all and thanks for visiting the Surabaya shipyard.  Thanks for all the likes and your comments.

Thank you Jan. Yeah, I guess that makes sense, that they would come in different sizes for different applications.  I should have made them a hair thicker and perhaps a little closer together at the top but it's mostly the idea that counts in how they look like. 

Yeah Ian, I forgot already that Jan mentioned it in a previous post that the kruishouten were called kervels, old age disease  ;)   It also makes sense that these hoornklampen are called pin racks.  

All I did with the making the pin racks was to draw them out on a piece of flat boxwood sheet of about 1.5 or 2 mm thickness.  Then drilled the appropriate size holes for the pins and proceeded to cut them out.  I made the pins from bamboo skewers.  First splitting them into thinner pieces and then pulling them through a drill size plate.

I drilled a 1/2 mm hole in the foot of them and cemented a small piece of 1/2 mm brass rod in.  Drilled a 1/2 mm hole in the mast and cemented them in using 2 part epoxy glue.

In my case I could not drill the holes in the main mast because it was already installed and not accessible. Oh, I could have bend a steel needle to 90 degrees and carefully pushed that in making a hole but was concerned about collateral damage in other places.   I just cemented them on with CA.

It's obviously better to do this kind of work when you have the masts on the bench.  

I'm coming close to having to make a few carvings and the lower mast tops to start with the standing rigging.

I may have to investigate this casting business like Sawdust Dave is doing, it'll speed up that chore :rolleyes:

I think I have pretty much put all the fixed rigging parts on the ship except for a few lead-through holes in the bulwarks and eye bolts.  I'm hoping that I can do that when it's needed using the appropriate drawings Jan and Hans have send me.

By the way Jan, I have ordered Rob Napier's book "Valkenisse."  :D:o   Hip, hip, hurrah !!!  That'll help with the rigging together with the Heemskerk and Batavia.  Besides, I just love these Dutch ships, there is something about them - - - :)

I'm currently working on the stern knees and flagpole.  That'll kinda complete the hull work besides mounting a few cannons and then cleaning all the dust out of her.

Here are a few pics of the last two day's work.

post-1399-0-01845500-1452133036_thumb.jpg

This shows version 2.0 of the kruishouten aka kervels, the three remaing hoornklampen aka pin racks, four boordknights and two three pulley deck nights.

post-1399-0-40013900-1452133091_thumb.jpg

Here we see the version 2.0 kruishout, aka kevel, bolted to the frames, a longer pin rack and one boordkecht that you can see just left of the mast bolted to one of the frames.  Now a not so funny thing is that I forgot to drill the holes for the simulated pulley inside of it :(   I'll either have to worry the holes in using a pin vice or ripping them of and doing it the easy way. 

post-1399-0-97301400-1452133253_thumb.jpg

This shows two of the version 2.0 kruishouten, kaka kevels, bolted to the bulwark in the wast.

post-1399-0-74182700-1452133352_thumb.jpg

This shows a longer pin rack and a boordknecht on the quarter deck.  Same sad story about the boordeknecht.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Lovely work, Piet.  These "fiddly bits" are bringing  more to life.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I love little details like these

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Nice work Piet, Beautifully done she's looking great 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks everyone for stopping by and your kudos.

Well, let's see - - I managed drilling the rope holes in the four "boordknechten" (the knights against the bulwarks) without any damage to surrounding structure.  I used a small hand-dril and slowly "worried" my way through them.

Cemented and bolted the three large knees to the "animal coop" for the counter and put some poly on them.  Made an eye bolt or loop fixture for the flagpole and temporarily inserted that into the center knee.  The flagpole is made from a bamboo skewer and still need to be completed with the needed hardware and a top button.  For now I'll leave it alone till later.

I also removed the planking within the forward large grate opening to install a new grating.  I changed this setup a long time ago to instal a forward capstan but thought better of it.  I really need some more space for the ship's boats there and also wanted to gat back to my original design.  This operation was also successfully completed and a new grating piece installed.  Well, this sounds like "duck soup" but there was a lot of cleaning up to do and some minor repairs to be made.

Not much else was done and I really must start with cleaning the dust out, especially under the quarter deck.  I'll also wait with cementing the missing cannons into their hidden carriages till after I have painted the hull white up to the waterline.

I think I'm going to make a few anchors next and perhaps the supporting pieces, crosstrees and lower mast tops.  I'll be a busy boy looks like, if it doesn't get too chilly in the shipyard.

Cheers,  

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello all.  Just a minor update.

It's rather cool in the garage aka shipyard so I didn't spend too much time there and besides - I'm having a few pesky problems with my computer.

I finished the stern flagpole with it's hardware and cemented a cleat to one of the knees to tie off the flag rope.

Then I wend ahead and cemented and bolted the anchor lift beams to the forecastle deck. 

This about completes most of the stuff that's supposed to be on deck for the rigging.  I still need to check with the drawings I received from Jan and Hans and make my own rigging layout drawings.

I planned on starting with the anchors but I need a few 4 X 4 mm square brass bars.  I tried my local hardware stores but they have become very limited in K&S hardware.  So I'll have to go mail order for that stuff.  If it isn't one thing then it's another.  No rest for the weary. 

I'm also spending some time looking at pics of the O19 and Java from the URL's Jan gave me.  Still hunting for pics with my father on it.  Very sparse.

Yup, I guess it's time to try my hand in making a few carvings.  Have been making sketches and again I guess I need to make the heads for the knights before rigging starts.

Okay, this is it for now.  Thanks to all for visiting and your likes, see all y'all next time.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

the kevels look really good Piet........I have to make a couple for my Half Moon  {they were missing in the kit}.   deck's looking pretty busy  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you Cees, Greg and Popeye Dennis for the kudos and thanks also for all the likes.

I have been busy inside for the last few days.  It's near freezing here in Florida and too chilly in the garage aka shipyard.

I am drawing figures for the carvings and the ship's boats, - it's at least warm inside the house.  I ordered the 3 mm square brass bars for the anchors, which is expected to be here soon, I hope.

Actually Popeye Dennis, I'm quite surprised how much room is on the decks.  But that can change with all the rope work and possible additional tackle hardware.  Then the ship's boats on the grates in the waste.  I'm glad I moved the capstan aft, now I won't have to worry about the boats being cramped.

I'm also working an another small project that's really testing my patience, finger dexterity and eye sight :rolleyes:  No, I'm not telling what it is :P

Hoping for warmer weather so I can get back into the garage.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Yeah, Jan, you remember and that goes way back to MSW version 1.0.  A punter eh?  Hmmm, kinda difficult to make one, you think I have the talent?   I like that video about building one, very interesting.  We saw them in action when we visited Giethoorn many years ago, transporting cows no less.  

Hey Sjors, don't give me any ideas now to build a model of such a thing.  You think I can put it on the VOC ship Surabaya?  Nah, won't look good.

But actually, yes, Gwen and I did plan in building a "Freedom" sloop.  That's based on the Friendship sloop but easier to build.  It's all slap-sided with marine grade 3/4 inch plywood, glued and screwed together.  It was supposed to be 25 feet long and sleeps two for an weekend, just great for the two of us.  However, things got in the way and we had to abandon that project.  Instead I designed a sloop of 30 feet long that could sleep 4.  I finished that model way back and it sits proudly on a cupboard in the dining room.

Hey Lawrence, thanks for visiting and your kind words.  Sorry for some Dutch humor thrown in, I love it though, brings back some fond memories.

Here are a few pics of that sloop model I designed and build for Gwen (who doesn't want to be called "the Admiral").  Gwen's official first name is Gwenfra, her mother was English and was named for one of her relatives near London.  So obviously named the model after her.

post-1399-0-85491200-1453685787_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-82396700-1453685812_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Wow, that's better then a punter Piet  :D  :D  :D

And I know Giethoorn very well.

Bin there a few time on holiday at Paviljoen 't Wiede......

Walking from Smits Paviljoen true the lake to t'Wiede.... ;)

Yes, you can walk true the lake.

it's not that deep.

Sjors

Thank you Lawrence for the compliment.  That sloop was my first attempt in building a wooden model ship - - - after a lay-off of about 65 years.  I did it to get the feel again before tackling the VOC model.  Hey, my whole working life and academics has been in metals, not wood.  But I'm still trying and learning, thanks to everyone on this forum.  There may still be hope for me to produce a reasonable looking model.

Cheers,   

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

You're way too modest Piet!  I've seen your work and more to the point, I refer to the level of detail you achieved on the 019, and your current VOC builds. You have a lot of talent my friend, and you should never underestimate it. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Piet,

George is spot on... 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Piet,

George is spot on... 

you are kidding.........right!?!?!  ;)   love the sloop.......she's really sweet  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks everybody for visiting my humble shipyard and all your very kind comments and all the likes.  It's really encouraging.

Well, I finally started making the two large anchors.  I ordered and received a 3.2 mm square brass bar from a supplier in Canada at www.qualityhobbyshop.com 

I first made a few sketches to my scale to get a feel of how they would look.  I then just started cutting the shank and arms, marked them for the holes.  The hole for the ring that holds the anchor cable/rope measured 1 mm.  The first hole went kinda okay but I had to go very slow with the feed in fear of breaking the drill.  The only small drills I have are made in China and have only a single flute, not very strong.  Good enough for wood end even there when using boxwood you have to be careful.

So, when drilling the second hole, sure enough the drill bit broke off and there was no way getting it out of the hole.  Fortunately, the hole was meant for a pin to hold the stock and I'll replace that with a small strip of brass soldered to the shank. That way I'll cut a groove in both parts of the stock to keep it from sliding up or down.  That strip and the stock will cover this hole and no one will ever see it. 

Next I made a bending jig from wood to bend the curve in the arms.  Nice thought but it only partially worked.  The brass is too hard for a wooden jig and I could only get a partial bend.  So I used the Rube Goldberg method by putting the brass bar half way in the vice and with my gebanger (hammer) I gave it a nice tap.  I proceeded to do this at small increments, moving the bar out of the vice little by little until I had the correct radius I drew out on paper.  Turned the bar around and did the same thing to the other half.

I followed this procedure for #2 anchor and had very good results, at least it looks pretty darn good to me.  Just a little filing and polishing to dress out the few mars.

Next was drilling the hole for the pin at the end of the shank that'll function as the main soldering attaching pin.  I drilled a 1/16 inch hole in the center of the arm, which went off without a hitch, a new cobalt drill bit helps.

Okay, next I chucked the shank into my non-centering four-jaw lathe chuck and cut a 1/16 inch diameter pin at 3.5 mm long to fit into the hole in the arm.  That too worked great.  Yeah, my old DB200 Unimat doesn't have a self centering four jaw chuck :(

What I am describing here transpired over two days.  Messed around trying to extract the broken drill bit and had to give up.  Had to do some stuff around the house and try to resolve a computer problem, I'm getting phishing pop-ups that I can't get rid of.

So, let me cut this off here, add a few pics and proceed with the next few days work in another post.

post-1399-0-91951600-1454296528_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-06092700-1454296572_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-37701300-1454296606_thumb.jpg

I didn't show how I made the curve using the vice and hammer method.  I think my description above should suffice.  This is not the recommended way to do things but beggars can't be choosers. The end result is what counts.

post-1399-0-04953800-1454296638_thumb.jpg

post-1399-0-87110900-1454296673_thumb.jpg

This sure brought back memories from my machinist training and subsequent machine shop work. 

post-1399-0-28786100-1454296803_thumb.jpg

The shank and arm are now ready to be assembled.

post-1399-0-91939900-1454296848_thumb.jpg

Here I have put the assembly together.  You can now also see the hole with the broken drill bit.

Why can't we get some decent machine tools here for a decent price.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra