INGOMAR by GConiglio - Gloucester fishing schooner-1904 - 1:38 scale

Hi all, 

I love the fine shape of "Ingomar", a design from the "Indian Headers" series, by Thomas F. Mc Manus.

She was built in Essex in 1904 and wrecked in 1936.

Sources of this model come from:

1. The American Fishing schooners, by Howard.I.Chapelle,

2. Thomas F.McManus and the American Fishing Schooners, by W.M.P. Dunne,

3. Gloucester Clipper Fishing Scooners, by Erik A.R. Ronnberg Jr,

4. Bluenose II, the saga of the Great Fishing Schooners.

The following pictures show the books, lines, and the first building step. Now the model is quite painted and it's time to prepare the deck details. I hope thet someone will'give me some suggestion to continue building in a good way. 

Thank you.

Giorgio.

post-3202-0-38804600-1444334036_thumb.jpg

post-3202-0-86541400-1444334084_thumb.jpg

ingomar.bmp

post-3202-0-53973200-1444334219_thumb.jpg

post-3202-0-72956200-1444334265_thumb.jpg

post-3202-0-13376700-1444334312_thumb.jpg

post-3202-0-77593500-1444334368_thumb.jpg

Thank you Patrick, I'm glad you like my work.

Not a perfect job (scuppers are very difficult to do all equal!).

I hope to continue better.

Ciao!

Giorgio 

More pictures....

- trying to apply the name board (not definitive!),

- main deck and quarter deck.

post-3202-0-04915700-1444421862_thumb.jpg

post-3202-0-91692200-1444421956_thumb.jpg

Deck planking.

Increasing thickness around masts and bowsprit.

Now is time to think to the cabin.

post-3202-0-17015300-1444487659_thumb.jpg

post-3202-0-53127200-1444487710_thumb.jpg

post-3202-0-43318200-1444487766_thumb.jpg

Edited by GConiglio

Nice work Georgio!

You know, your ship reminds me of Lawrence's model which you can see here: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/9268-annie-m-parker-by-canoe21-fishing-schooner-by-lawrence-scratch-build-scale-150/?hl=%2Bannie+%2Bparker, if you're interested. Both your models are impressive, to say the least.

All the best!

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

Thank you Patrick for suggesting the Annie Paker build log.

Both models so look similar!

Different colours in some detail show that is difficult to interpretate the source books.

For example, I wonder if the Ingomar gunwale (top of bulwark) is really white or brown as per Annie Parker.

What do you think?

Ciao,

Giorgio

It's better to rebuild:

the cabin trunk is going on (1st pic) , but it is better to rebuild another one as per Fishing Schooner Cavalier (2nd pic), from Mystic Seaport Museum.

It is shown at http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/3662-mystic-seaport-models/.

post-3202-0-17062800-1445255136_thumb.jpg

post-3202-0-77976400-1445255428.jpg

Edited by GConiglio

I think cabin trunk is better now (not completed).

I wonder if it's better to paint front -rear and side panels white and leave the roof as it is.

What do you think? 

post-3202-0-28973000-1445458195_thumb.jpg

post-3202-0-68143400-1445458204_thumb.jpg

Edited by GConiglio

Giorgio,

I think either way will look great.  I'm partial to natural wood, but that's just my personal preference.  Painting would look very good also.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I think it's better now (still not finished after two weeks!!).

Patrick and Mark, thank you for your suggestion.

I decided to consider predominant the white colour through the deck as per picture found in internet.

In the same time, I like natural wood, so I decided to consider part of the roof in this way. 

Next challenge is the scroll at bow. Very difficult for me.

Ciao,

Giorgio

post-3202-0-94292300-1445715377_thumb.jpg

post-3202-0-32347700-1445715398_thumb.jpg

Edited by GConiglio

I like the way that turned out with the natural wood on the sliding top cover, Giorgio.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I love the look of fishing schooners. Their lines seem to have a kind of grace. They were buit for holding fish but also for spoed.. well done.

David B

Giorgio

Really looks good. In recent reading about schooners in this period, the new boats might have gone out brand new with both decks and deck houses oiled. Soon after the the deck houses were usually painted out . then the smaller elements were often white. Sometimes the waterways and house roofs were dark. Some plans even painted the working area of the decks. My point is from my brief research, I concluded you can chose what you like and be right.

I look forward to you updates. I love the old schooners and yours shall be fun to watch

Cheers

Jon

Thank you Jon for your contribution.

Yes, there is not a single rule about painting or not. Some time I prefer to leave deck houses oiled, sometime not.

In this case there is a half-way. Painting white the deck houses is important for the "historical" aspect: they have to be visible in the night from fisherman moving along the deck.

In the meantime some part in natural wood are shown, like small deck roof.

Ciao,

Giorgio

Hi Giorgio,

Very nice, you're doing a great job.

I love the old schooners and can hardly wait for continue :).

Regards, Matija.

Very nice Gloucester schooner Giorgio,

also the paint scheme is looking good...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

David, Nils, thank you.

Which paint? Different paints! 

Humbrol black / white matt. Copper red mixing Humbrol red and black.

Being not satisfied, I used a succesive acrilic spray paint.

Anyway, I'm planning to buy a air brush for future models!

Ciao e grazie.

Giorgio 

post-3202-0-27334800-1445804692_thumb.jpg

Edited by GConiglio

Continuing to work on the cabin trunk. 

Testing the scroll on the bow with the yellow marker; I can't do better.

post-3202-0-18803700-1446151418_thumb.jpg

post-3202-0-72642100-1446151428_thumb.jpg

Patrick beat me to it.  I was thinking the same thing.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: