HMS Revenge by Denis R - Victory Models (Amati) - Scale 1:64

Oooooooo, nice looking kit and contents. Yep, the MDF would have to go, god bless them for trying though. It looks like they have included a lot of rigging line, which is a plus, most kits don't include enough. So before completion of a model, I'm stuck scrounging around trying to find appropriate rigging line to supplement what was sent with the kit.

mike

Hi Mike

Re cord, yes it look like a lot ha-ha but we will see.

With my SoS I put all the cord in the bin and started again using Amati cord.

Denis.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Looking at the kit again, the gratings are brass looking.

Sorry I did not like them that much, so ordered some new wooden ones.

I think they will look a lot better than the brass ones.

I did order them over size so will cut them back a bit to fit.

Denis.

post-303-0-89958700-1448843737_thumb.jpg

post-303-0-60210300-1448843753_thumb.jpg

Hi Denis, i understand you, i also prefer wood gratings, and on SIB i have to build all just from parts, but there are better.

Cristi

Current build : Sovereign of the Seas - Mantua 1:78 scale

Finished:        San John the Baptist - Cross section

Santisima Trinidad - Cross section                  Galery Santisima 

San John the Baptist ( San Juan Bautista)    Galery  San John

HMS Victory 1805 - Cross section - Corel 1:98 scale 

Panart (Mantua) 740 Battle Station          Battle Station Panart 740 Galerry

On Hold:        HMS Bounty 1:64   Mamoli MV39

The MDF from Victory worked fine for me with another kit - but did I understand that the base plinth was MDF too -  thats just  weird if so.

Lots of rigging line as usual but not really great quality - but  a tip - label the lines spools now - why they dont label them  I have no idea !

Brass gratings  "what a lovely idea"  I think as I fight the normal wooden combs.

But they would need to be painted -  does the kit suggest what colour - because in my book if painted it saves so much work !

But cannot see a paint job looking like wood.  I shall be follwing progress with interest !

Hi SpyGlass

Yes the base is MDF also, Brian had a good idea he said plank the base, and that is what I will do.

I have used other rigging lines before ( most fell apart ) and ended up going back to Amati ones, I always label the spools.

I agree with you, you would think the kit people would label them.

Re gratings I have not read all the book yet so I don't know if they say paint them or not, but if they are I would paint them black.

May be the gratings were cast iron I don't know, may be some one out there can help me on that one ??.

Denis.

Yeah Denis, I like the wood gratings too....

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

That's interesting about your grates. Cast iron ones may of been a bit too heavy. I'd personally head towards the wooden ones IMO.

Regards, Scott

Current build: 1:75 Friesland, Mamoli

Completed builds:

1:64 Rattlesnake, Mamoli  -  1:64 HMS Bounty, Mamoli  -  1:54 Adventure, Amati  -  1:80 King of the Mississippi, AL

1:64 Blue Shadow, Mamoli  -  1:64 Leida Dutch pleasure boat, Corel  -  1:60 HMS President Mantra, Sergal

Awaiting construction:

1:89 Hermione La Fayette AL  -  1:48 Perserverance, Modelers shipyard

Hi Frank

Long time no talk.

Will send an mail to you soon.

Having a bit of a problem with the router keeps cutting in and out all the time.

Denis.

I am pretty sure that how well you paint them,, the metal gratings would not look as nice as the wooden ones.  Where did you buy these?  Caldercraft? How does their scale compare with the etched ones?  The wooden gratings that you bought look much better than the majority of similar items found in kits, where the wooden strips are much too narrow compared with the space between them (example: the Artesania and Mamoli gratings).  It would be fine, as a comparison, to see the etched gratings next to the wooden items on a picture.

Happy modelling.

I am pretty sure that how well you paint them,, the metal gratings would not look as nice as the wooden ones.  Where did you buy these?  Caldercraft? How does their scale compare with the etched ones?  The wooden gratings that you bought look much better than the majority of similar items found in kits, where the wooden strips are much too narrow compared with the space between them (example: the Artesania and Mamoli gratings).  It would be fine, as a comparison, to see the etched gratings next to the wooden items on a picture.

Happy modelling.

Hi Jean-Pierre.

I agree with you no matter how you paint them they will not look that good.

The size are Ok, holes are 1mm sq in both the metal and the wooden ones, I will have to cut the wooden ones back a bit to make them fit, as they did not sell them in the same size as the metal ones.

I got them from Modeller Shipyard in Australia cost about $5.95au each.

I will take a photo with the both side by side soon.

Denis.

I remarked in a parallel thread on these gratings that heynare the wrong side up: the flat side is the inderside, the upper side is not flat.

If I remember correctly, Chris used these gratings as he was trying to get something in scale thickness. The lower decks are completely fitted out, and the deckopenings are the only real see- through option. Therefore in his own pics, the gratings are next to the openings. However, scale thickness required something slightly under a milimeter. Too thin to have them in wood. (Atleast, mass produced in a kit)

Jan

I remarked in a parallel thread on these gratings that heynare the wrong side up: the flat side is the inderside, the upper side is not flat.

If I remember correctly, Chris used these gratings as he was trying to get something in scale thickness. The lower decks are completely fitted out, and the deckopenings are the only real see- through option. Therefore in his own pics, the gratings are next to the openings. However, scale thickness required something slightly under a milimeter. Too thin to have them in wood. (Atleast, mass produced in a kit)

Jan

Hi Jan

The thickness of the photo etched ones are 1mm.

The wooden ones are just over 3mm.

If I sand down a bit on each side to get them down to just over 2mm I will be happy.

I can always make the frames a bit higher, I don't think any one will notice ( well they will now ha-ha ).

Denis.

I can always make the frames a bit higher, I don't think any one will notice ( well they will now ha-ha ).

Denis.

We may notice, but we won't tell.  ;)  :P  :P

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Dennis

I have the Revenge kit sitting under the Christmas Tree. It will be great to follow along with your build and learn from a master craftsmen.

Malcolm.  

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx

Dennis

I have the Revenge kit sitting under the Christmas Tree. It will be great to follow along with your build and learn from a master craftsmen.

Malcolm.  

Hi Malcolm

Looks like you and I will be starting at the same time.

Please less of the master craftsman.

We can learn of each other.

Denis.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I have started to cut out the parts and number them.

I have dry fitted the frames and they look Ok so far.

When I was going through the parts I was looking for the decoration parts for the side of the hull etc.

Oh no not again parts are missing.

I don't know what it is with me but I got my SoS from the same model shop, and anyone that has read that will see half of the kit was missing.

I got the Revenge from the same model shop and again parts missing.

No I will not name the shop.

All I will say is that I could have got the same model from the UK or the USA for a lot less than I got this kit.

Now I have got that off my chest I feel a lot better now.

I am loving this kit so far, I will take back what I said about the MDF .

Denis.

That's terrible Denis.

I thought I had the printed decorations missing on my Revenge, but I found them amongst the plans after a brief panic.  I have part 69 missing, but I can make a new one.  Everything else is present. I agree with you that the MDF is OK.

Best of luck  with the retailer making good on the missing parts.

Malcolm

Completed builds; Caldercraft Mars; Vanguard Alert, Amati Revenge

On the shelf; Vanguard DOK & the Sphinx

Hi Malcolm

Pleased you have got yours.

Just looking at the dry fitting again.

It looks like frame 4 is about 2mm too short may have to put a bit of wood in to get it to line up with 3, 2 and 1.

Denis

Brian I have taken all the plans out and all the parts not a thing.

Just got an e-mail from the shop he will send a set to me asap.

If you have read my log Malcolm has got a part missing also, but he said he will make it.

Denis

I cannot imagine a shop selling kits in UNSEALED boxes.  So indeed Amati should be the one to blame.

But I can also imagine a shop owner being a modeller him(her)self and being tempted to have a peek into the contents.

About those side decorations, Chris Watton says they are printed onto an excellent quality paper  Yet to insure they won't get yellowish or the colours get pale, I would certainly apply some protecting varnish.  Don't you agree?

Happy building

JP

If parts are missing, it's usually due to the manufacture not including it in the box. It seems that is the practice as of late, I guess it's hard to get good help. But I would in no way blame the store. By the way, most of the ship model kits that I have received from retail stores weren't sealed with shrink wrap, which I'm sure that is the way they received them from the Manufacture.

mike