Hr. Ms. O 19 1938 by Piet - FINISHED - scale 1:50 - submarine of the Royal Navy Netherlands in service 1939 - 1945

I'm sorry to hear that Piet........I wish you well and my thoughts will be with you.  sounds like your in good hands......just do as they say and rest easy.  finish the sub {supercollosalstupedous build,  by the way},  and then turn to the VOC.........a happy and busy mind can conquer all!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks to everyone for your kind words and best wishes, does the heart good.

Spend most of the day doing research on this cancer thing and with all the previous cancer research I did, after the prostate cancer thing of a few ago, I am assembling an additional but alternative regimen.  The BCG method the doc will be doing is a good one for me because its only at stage Ta.  

All I read about this is really encouraging and I'm not in the least bit worried, well - - - just a little concerned.

Like with ship model building an important part of the build is research to be able to produce a good model.  This is also good advice to combat our aches and pains.  So now that the research is done and I have a list of "stuff" to buy I can again devote time to the O19.

Cheers to all and happy modeling,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

A heartfelt thanks to everyone for your best wishes and prayers and all your like votes.  What a fantastic group this is!

Today was de first day back in the shipyard after doing a lot of research on this cancer thing and alternative protocols to help my bod's immune system.  I have a long list of stuff to get, but now is the time to divert my attention to my father's boat.  Thanks to those who gave me advice via PM's.

I mentioned to Remco in a PM that I most likely will be making the hinges for the torpedo loading hatches.  If I don't finish things in the deck area then they'll be in the way when doing the gantries.  I could of course also start with the deck gun and props but I thought to try making the hinges with the 0.5 mm brass tubes Remco send.  This'll be a real challenge because of the minuteness of them.  I cut strips of 0.1 mm brass sheet into strips of 1.5 mm of undetermined length to be trimmed to size on the boat.  I cut the tube into 2 mm lengths and silver soldered them to the brass strips and trimmed them.

Now I had to de-burr the holes to allow the 0.1 brass rods to enter, very tedious work, to say the least.  Fortunately my hands remained rock stable and everything worked as advertised.  I also had to de-burr the rod ends because of snipping them with my mini side cutters.  I just hauled my rifler over them and then finished with 400 whet or dry sandpaper.  worked like a charm.   

I next "worried" slots under the deck slats on the hatches to slide the hinges under them.  This gives me some extra material for the CA to grab on.  A few of the slats I did remove for access though.  

I made only 4 hinge assemblies today in about 6 hours time, which was enough for the two hatches on the port side.  That was enough for today because I was getting bleary eyed and needed to take an eye break for today.  Hmmmm, yeah right and then behind the computer to check my mail, the news, writing friends and on MSW.  

Okay, I have taken a few pictures of today's work so you can get an idea how tiny these things are and even at that they are still too large for scale, I think.  What you see on the pics is still in the crude undressed state so please hold the rotten tomatoes  ;)  ;)

post-1399-0-43934800-1394159341_thumb.jpg

This picture shows the aft port side hatch with the hinge assemblies.  There two hatches for port and 2 for starboard for a total of four.  The same holds for the aft torpedo loading hatches.  I temporarily assembled one hinge because it still needs some trimming.  The other I left in an "exploded view."  Now just picture me holding these little buggers in my left hand when dressing and trimming them.  I found that holding them in duckbill pliers didn't give me the visual of how much I had filed away so I held them between thumb and index finger.  

post-1399-0-76283000-1394159355_thumb.jpg

This shows both hinges temporarily mounted and laid in top of a scrap piece of 1 mm deck plywood. Everything needs to be dressed and trimmed yet.  The Exacto # 11 blade should give a measure of scale.

post-1399-0-66874100-1394159367_thumb.jpg

Well, I thought to put one hinge assembly on my finger and show you how small they really are.  Perhaps you can see a cut in my finger on the left.  That's where I cut it scraping some CA off but accidentally held the Exacto # 11 on an angle instead of straight, ouch.  Bandaid time.

post-1399-0-30652800-1394159381_thumb.jpg

Here we see both the port hatches temporarily put into place.  There is still some more fixing to do, like replacing two deck slats and after they are all cemented to the deck another deck slat over the ones on the deck.  Yea, these close-ups show a lot  but everything will be neated-up. 

post-1399-0-46538600-1394159398_thumb.jpg

Here they are shown in the open position, ready to load torpedoes.  I'll wait with the final painting till the starboard side is completed.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

<drops jaw to floor> <low whistle>  Holy Cow.. I can't imagine that and they work.   :o  :o

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Fortunately my hands remained rock stable and everything worked as advertised.

Hello Piet!

I would sign that on a paper if I am able to get your age with those fantastic hands!! (and eyes I guess). I am in the 40´s, I use specs and my hands start to shake...I have to help one hand with the other. Of course I do not have to deal with point five diameter brass tubes... ;)

My best wishes Piet.

Daniel.

looking good.......and the fact that they work is even better.   with the way your installing them......they might not look so out of scale.

really nice stuff!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hello everyone and thanks for stopping by and all the like votes, it's much appreciated.

@ Mark: Just don't move around with your jaw on the floor, you may step on your lower lip and that's a real ouch  ;)  Thanks for the compliment my friend.   Yup, they do work and that makes me a happy camper.

@ Remco: Yes it's good to be back in the shipyard but there are still some things that need to be done in and outside the house though.  

You have really challenged me my friend but I appreciate it - - - after the fact  :P  You have more faith in my abilities then I did  ;)  I really had some misgivings and procrastinated because of it.  Hopefully I can do the two on the starboard side tomorrow and then finish it all with paint and touch-up the wood with dye.

@ Daniel: Thanks for your kind words.  Yes, thin, long fingers and narrow hands.  That came in handy working in airplanes but it was really good doing artwork, painting and drawing.  Both my eyes are now between 20 / 20 or 25 / 20 - - - after a double cataract replacement, but i still use a 3X magnifier glasses though.  Actually, I measured the brass tubes and they mike out at 0.45 mm  ;)   

@ Popeye:  Thanks Popeye, you are too kind - - - but I take it  :)  Well, I expected them to work, after all, when you stick a rod into a tube they should move, right?  Oh, I guess i could make the hinges a little narrower but not by much so they would be a closer to scale.  I'll stick with the 1.5 mm wide strips though for ease of handling.  When they are painted you won't notice them too much anyhow.  

This morning I had to trouble shoot the fax part of my HP all in one.  It would not receive faxes and spend scratching my head most of the morning.  I hope I fixed it by resetting it to auto answer.  Now I'll have to ask daughter to send me a test fax.  This afternoon I spend cleaning up those two hatch doors.  I replaced one of the slats on the forward door and removed some of the CA cement.  This still needs to be stained and the rest painted.  

Well, actually this hinge making project worked better then I thought.  I was really apprehensive at first and thought, no way can these tiny tubes be soldered.  But then after they were done I just said "pfffffff," no sweat baby with a grin.  The hardest part is holden these little parts together but I figured out a way.  I first "tinned" the end of the brass strips, then put some solder paste on it so the 2 mm piece of tubing will stick to it.  Then holding it down with a toothpick applied the heat and bingo.   Then filing them down to fit the strips and de-bur the holes caused from the filing.  The final shaping was the most difficult part, holding it between my fingers.  

Okay, that's all she wrote for tonight.  Y'all have a great weekend and happy modeling.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello everyone,

This post is just so that all y'all can have a good laugh on me, at least I did  :D  :D  :D

As I started making the hinges for the forward starboard torpedo loading hatches I cut 4 pieces of 2 mm 0.5 brass tubing, or so I thought.  I also cut 8 each 1.5 mm strips of 0.1 mm thick brass sheet.  Great so far, making good progress.

I then proceeded in soldering the 2 mm brass "tubes" to the strips, still working great.  I then filed the brass "tubes" to the width of the strips and wanted to de-bur the tubes.  Well, I didn't see the holes in them and thought, oh poop, I got some solder inside and started to clean them out with my #80 drill bit in a small hand drill.  Hmmmm, not much progress.  So I put a #80 bit in my Proxon drill motor.  It was slow going because it got real hot quick and burned my fingers.  I switched the little bugger to a small pair of pliers and after about 5 minutes I drilled clear through the length of the brass "tube."  Great, I thought, that worked - - - never even giving it a second thought - - - hmmmm strange, why so much solder inside the tube - - - well, okaaaaay - - - over to the next one.

Well, that one showed the same symptoms and again I started drilling the assumed solder out of the brass "tube' but broke the drill bit.  Hmmmm, scratched my head and looked at the assumed brass "tubes" real close under a magnifier.  I couldn't believe what I did  :o  :o  B)   

Okay now all yuns can start laughing - - - Instead of the 0.5 mm brass tube I took a 0.5 mm brass rod that was laying there!!!  Needles to say I first slapped myself on the forehead and shouted DOMKOP !!  and then laughed myself silly.  So what - - - pfffffff while throwing hands up halfway  :)  :)  ;)  ;)   Wow, that's two Dutch words in one post, yuns are so lucky  :P

On the positive side, I now know that I can drill a hole through a 0.5 mm brass rod and make a tube out of it ;)  :P   Anyone else want to try that?  On second thought, perhaps not - - - these cheap Chinese drill bits break real easy.

At that time I had to get ready to go to my monthly colored pencil club meeting and planned to correct this embarrassing fiasco later in the pm, which I did without any further mishaps or mistakes.  Sooooh - - - hopefully I'll have these two hatch doors done tomorrow and everything dressed and painted nice and on to the aft deck.

Hick - - hick - - ha -ha -ha - hick - - hick.  Sorry about that, I'm still chuckling about it.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Nice to see some Dutch words at this forum !

But Piet, the langue is English  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P

I'm not gonna translate those words for you  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Nice to see some Dutch words at this forum !

But Piet, the langue is English  :P  :P  :P  :P  :P

I'm not gonna translate those words for you  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

You're too late with your warning, Sjors.   At least one Dutch word has become pretty common around here.  ;)

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Ah, back in the shipyard.....can't keep an ole' salt down....much less a Dutchman....Fantastic metal work as usual my friend. Speaking of hinges what are you going to do about the hatches for the mines??? Maybe someting else to do???? Oh, that's right you were thinking about limiting the outside details if I recall. Oh well just disregard that, and please don't think of it as a challenge or anything...I wouldn't do that to ya. One mine would probably be sufficient also..Proost my friend, another Leffe Blond goes down without a fight...

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Hello everyone and thanks for your like votes on my dumb error but at least we all had a laugh or two, I'm still shaking my head and snickering about it.  I should have made a picture of that piece for y'all to see but I dumped so I wouldn't reuse it by mistake.

@ Remco:  Glad you had a laugh, that was the whole idea.  Optivisor - smoptivisor.  I don't need no stink'n optivisor, I have perfect vision ;)  ;)   hmmmm, that's what I like to tell myself.  As it is I do wear 3X magnifying glasses and even with them I grabbed the wrong thingy.  That would make me domkop squared  ;)  ;)  

@ Sjors:  Pffffff - - - to you  :P  No need for a translation, I think all y'all got the idea and besides, unknown to many but English originated from the Germanic tribes Angels, Saksons, Jutes and Friesians, way back in early CE (AD).  And Dutch?  Well, it originated from the same tribes, so we are all one happy family ;)  :)  :) 

@ Mark:  Right on Mark - - - pfffff is a perfectly good word - - - in Dutch but we can adopt it.  Now "domkop" may be known to the English speakers as "dummkopf" in German.  In the US we would be quick to say "dumbshit,"  DUCK !!! yeah, my mom would hit me over the head when using such bad words ;)  So, I'm trying to be a good boy and not use such improper words on this very distinguished forum, so I refrained from using it.  Therefore it's "domkop," i.e. dummy, dunce, stupid-head.   You want another Dutch word?   How about "stommerik?"  You are all free to use it - - - there is no copyright on it  :P

@ John (texxn5):  Yup, back in the shipyard but I had to mow the front lawn after lunch, it looked a little ragged.  Thanks for the compliment, the hinges may not be perfect and gold plated because most of it is hidden anyway but the main thing is - - they are functional.  Re the mine bun lid hinges - - - I only made one lid to possible open.  I am in the process of making a jig for hinges but have not progressed very far with it.  Sooooh - - - it is possible that I may figure out a way to make a believable and workable set of hinges.  Your sneaky way of putting a challenge to me is duly noted   ;)  ;)  :P , you are just as bad as Remco with challenges but that makes this hobby the more interesting.  I love it.

How did you know I was going to have a Leffe dark to celebrate the completion of the hatches?

Okay, enough of the levity and back to some serious work, yeah, right - - - if yuns believe that then I have a bridge for sale.

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Sooooohhh, I mozied into the shipyard this morning after breakfast and my first fix of coffee to tackle the fwd starboard  hinges, for real this time - - - chuckle - - chuckle.  ;)

This time I made sure I had the 0.5 mm brass tube in my hot little hands before I cut the four needed pieces and that without the optivisor  :P

Everything worked as advertised and they looked rather spiffy after they were all dressed and filed to the proper dimensions.

I found it easier to remove some of the deck-slats to cement them to the hatch doors and the deck.  Then I replaced the deck-slats, and they covered must of the brass strips.

Next I touched up the deck-slats with the dye and then touch-up painted the hatches and the deck where it was needed.   

Then an operational test on the hinges and taking a few pics for the record and for all y'all to see.

post-1399-0-66923500-1394504075_thumb.jpg

Ooooh, sorry, a little out of focus but these are the hatches in the closed position.  You can see the hinges because I had to cement them on top of the hatches and the deck.  On the real boat they were bolted to the sides of the hatches and the deck structure.  However, in my case t would not have been strong enough to withstand too many openings and closings, I tried it first with CA and two part epoxy.  Also on the real boat there were only two hatch doors but my error here was that the torpedo loading tube was not angled steep enough so I had to make enough room for the torpedo to slide into the loading tube, ergo the four hatch doors.   I could have faked it and not even attempt to show the model with a torpedo being loaded.   I'll most likely keep futs'n with this to dress it up better.

post-1399-0-40578200-1394504097_thumb.jpg

This shows the hatch doors open just as far as they did on the original boat.  Remember that this was also an afterthought.  Originally I didn't plan on going into this much detail but I'm glad having done so.  That piece where the loading tube rests on is a deck frame/bulkhead.  On the real boat that was all rather light steel structures that supports the deck and thus also all the other things attached to it.  

post-1399-0-95784600-1394504116_thumb.jpg

This is a straight on shot forward looking into the torpedo loading tube.  Aha, I see a few more deck-slats that need some attention.  Now you understand why I keep picking and futs'n at things.  But overall I'm very pleased as how she's coming along.  With all the futs'n and picking at things she's only getting better look'n.

I hope all y'all approve.

Cheers,

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet,

It just keeps getting better and better.  As for slats needing touch-up.. where?????  Building this sub is one thing.. to add the working details is whole other matter. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Ahh my friend....it is because I know you....probably much more than you think.....lol

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

looking great Piet!  you've turned this build into one amazing odyssey!  the doors came out great........most afterthoughts,  turn out to be the best detail  ;)   nice job!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

WOW, what great responses on the "like" votes, thank you all very much.

@ Mark T:  Thank you very much Mark for your kind words but I see the little things that are not quite right and I thought photos make them so glaring that nobody can miss them  :)  ;)   Yes, there are a few spots that need to be worked on but that's no problem, all part of the pleasure in modeling.

@ John (Texxn5):  Well now, I'd better watch out then John  :)  :)

@ Remco:  Thank you Remco, do I get a gold star now???   :)  :)

@ Popeye:  Thank you too Popeye.  As with most challenges you either accept them or submit to defeat, I had to give it a shot.  It reminds me of several challenges thrown my way in my life and succeeded.

Well, I did some more work on hinges today, i.e. this morning.  I started to make them for the aft torpedo loading hatches but only got to two pair.  For some reason I had more of a problem with these then the front ones but they are done.  Twice I heard a "pinnng" when the 2 mm piece of tubing went flying out of my tweezers.  Good luck finding them on my, ahum - "busy" work bench.  So I had to cut two new pieces and then A third one I couldn't get the pin through so again I had to replace it.  

Gwen, the Admiral, really wanted me to clean the patio at the back of the house in the screen room.  So I got the pressure washer out and spend the rest of the afternoon playing with water.  It was fortunately nice and warm today, 26 C

Hopefully tomorrow I can make the other two pairs and then removing a few deck slats so I can cement them on.  I hope I won't run into any problems with that easy job.

Thank you all again for your support!

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Yes, you might....lol

John

Current Current Builds:

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

Thanks every one for visiting and your like votes.

Well, today was my first of six visits to the urology center for my BCG treatment and everything worked out just great.  None of the warned about side effects were encountered, and that's a good thing  :)

I managed to spend a few very productive hours in the dockyard this afternoon, aka the garage.  I completed the aft torpedo loading hatches and they too worked as advertised  :)   May still need some more tweaking and futs'n

It was still before 1700 hours and figured, may as well start with the hinges for the dingy hatch doors.  Unfortunately I used paper for hinges previously and had to cut a few notches into the side beams.  But this may prove a good thing because I am going to use a thicker brass strip for the hinges that'll fit right in and is also sturdier.  They will be vertical and the hinge strips will be hidden when the hatches are closed, only the hinge tubes will stick above the deck.  This should allow the hatches to lay flat on the deck when opened.  I tested cementing a small brass strip to a piece of wood with two part epoxy cement to see how it would hold on the narrow side beams.  I appears to be holding okay so I went ahead and started to make ten hinge assemblies, five for each side.

I only completed five sets before knocking off because I wanted to help Admiral Gwen with scrubbing the breakfast nook floor.  The rollers on the bottom of our chairs are a hard plastic but do slowly disintegrate and leave small particles of black plastic on the porcelain tiles.  Sooooohhh, I was making like Cinderella and scrubbed and mopped the floor on hands and knees ;)   I did earn my Leffe dark afterwards and Gwen had a glass of wine, she's not a beer drinker.

Tomorrow we'll continue with the dingy hatches and hope that my plan for cementing them on the side beams pans out okay.  Keep fingers crossed - - - on better thought maybe not, I need them to work on these small buggers  ;)

Okay, here are a few pics of the completed aft torp loading hatches.

post-1399-0-51330500-1394761510_thumb.jpg

This shows the hatches closed and looking forward.  Sorry, but I forgot to tuck the hatches down all the way, they do though :P   If anyone is wondering what those curved lines are on the starboard side, those are the tracks for the torpedo loading dolly.   The tannish looking lines are the shadow cast by the ceiling lights.  The little holes on the outboard sides next to the loading hatches are the location markers for the loading gantry. 

post-1399-0-25277900-1394761525_thumb.jpg

This shows the hatches in the open position, nicely painted.  This too is looking forward.

post-1399-0-63377500-1394761541_thumb.jpg

This shows the hatches open and looking aft from the con with the loading tube closed.

post-1399-0-56179500-1394761559_thumb.jpg

This picture shows the hatch doors open and looking aft with the torpedo loading tube open, ready to receive a torpedo.  That round thingy sticking up out of the deck a little further aft is the emergency telephone for in case the sub is disabled and can't surface.  That way they can establish voice communication with the surface rescue folks.  Yup, I made that one so I can pull it out, it has a cable attached to it that's stowed below deck.  Sorry, the phone isn't working, in case you'd ask  ;)  :P

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet, that´s some launcher I prefer to look closer on your sub, only. ^^

Great work!!

awesome.......looking so cool!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

First of all, thanks to the many who visited and clicked the like button, it's very encouraging to me! !

@ Vivian:  Thank you for visiting and your compliment, much appreciated.  I do also visit your build, looking good!

Correction on your nomenclature though - - what you are looking at or actually looking into on pic 4 is not a launcher but a loading tube for torpedoes that'll go into the aft torpedo room.

@ Popeye: Thank you !!!  Yeah, it worked out okay but I had my doubts when I started making these tiny hinges from 0.5 mm brass tubes.  I was afraid I'd burn them all to a crisp.

Well, today I continued with the hinges for the dingy (jol) compartment hatch doors.  I completed all assemblies and have cemented five on the longitudinal deck beam, port side.  I used slow acting 2 part epoxy cement which gave me fits.  They kept sagging down and I had to keep going back and forth moving them back up into place.  I was afraid that the 5 minute epoxy would not give me enough time to cement the five I needed for each side.  I'll find out Sunday if they are holding.  CA is just not holding them good enough, they pop off real easy.  

Y'all may be laughing again but in filing all 20 pieces after soldering the little tubes to the brass strips I actually filed some skin off my left index finger.  It's rather sore and I'll give the poor thing some rest :( 

As I have mentioned before - - I like to hold parts between my thumb and index finger while filing and drilling small holes and use my finger as a guide.  Well, you can only file so much and then the skin is also gone ;)   No problem though, our bodies have this build in self repair thing and before I need to file some more stuff it'll be healed and good as new  :)   

So, no pics for today but I may take one of half the hinge assembly on the port side Sunday.  I need it for my own record anyway.  I'll ask Gwen if she can take a close-up pic of how I file these little buggers and use a drill bit to clean the burrs.

Y'all have a great weekend and happy modeling,

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet, thank you very much for the correction - As I never saw a sub shotting up, it would be very strange to see that happening. My bad!! ^^

Piet, Great work on the boring little hinges ;) now that is dedication. the details are a definite plus.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

@ John (Lad):  Thank you very much for your kind words and for stopping by.  She's progressing albeit slowly.

@ Vivian:  Ah, you're not bad - - - none of us can know everything  ;)  I only know something about airplanes  :)  ;)  :P

@ Michael:  Thank you Michael for dropping in and your kind words. Well, actually the hinges were a real challenge and i didn't feel bored at all, had to keep my concentration on them little buggers  ;)   Yeah, I'm going way overboard from my original plan but I'm glad I'm doing it though.

@ Doris:  What can I say my dear friend, thank you very much for your compliment, coming from you it means a lot.  

Cheers to all,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra