Hr. Ms. O 19 by Piet - 1939 - 1945, scale 1:50, submarine Royal Navy Netherlands - Finished

Thank you all for the likes, appreciate your votes of confidence and appreciation for the boat.

@ Popeye: Well, that were the first words out my admiral's mouth, 'where are you going to put it'?  Fortunately the model is narrow and not tall.  I'll make a shelf across one of the windows in my studio and place her there.  No problem  :)

@ Ian: Yeah, I was thinking how the sub would look like with three masts, square rigged and a growling lion on the bow as a figure head - - - - - hmmmm - - - - - well - - - - nah, I guess not  :D

@ Borus: Good to hear from you Borus.  Right now I'm thinking of making only one mine location semi workable with the top lid open so we can see the tube with possibly a mine in it.  As far as the bottom doors are concerned, they'll be simulated from paper glued to the hull.  It would be nice to make all twenty workable but I need to really get this thing completed and all the other external "stuff" is going to take a lot of time.  At least that's what I want to make look as close to the way my father knew the boat.  The bottom mine compartment doors are not a priority.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Well, Piet goofed with the location of the deck torpedo location  :o  :blush:  :blush:

Yup, I'm sorry to say that I have to dismantle a small section of the forward deck structure to correct the error.  I have to move it forward some and make it larger.  I don't know how I could have done such a dumb thing but okay, no big problem, just a little more time spend on it, that's all.  After it's all done it wont even be noticeable.  ;)

I'm glad I caught it now rather then later when it would be more of a problem.  I need to get a sheet of 1 mm ply anyhow for the con, so I'll have plenty of wood.

I'm using boxwood for the new deck beams with a few extra for additional sturdiness for the deck plate.  Even without the three frames I removed the structure is still rather stiff and that's a relief.

post-1399-0-41104400-1395956042_thumb.jpg

starboard view of the removed side and deck plates and the three frames.  The cross beams will be made from boxwood with two beams length wise.  The center of the torpedo launcher just happens to be in the center of pressure hull frame 98, which will give me a solid footing for the rotating tube.

post-1399-0-72961100-1395956055_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by Piet

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Ah Piet, wouldn't be a scratch build without at least one 'goof' :) Luckily you found it now an not later when it would have created all sorts of issues for you.

Enjoying watching your p[rogress.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Hello Piet, ;)

I am very happy to hear that you are doing fine.

As for the sub, don't worry, we all do our share of mistakes. We all leave something out, but at the end of the day, it's the end result that counts; and you are building a very fine lady - so keep it up my friend.

Cheers

Paul    :10_1_10:

NEVER RETREAT - NEVER SURRENDER

JUST DO IT YOUR WAY AND NEVER LOOK BACK

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

German WWII Captured Flower Class Corvette.

German WWII Armed Trawler.

German WWII Aircraft Carrier - Graf Zeppelin.

it happens......wouldn't be scratch if it didn't  ;)    the fact that you have things well in hand,  shows that it really isn't a problem at all.  here's to a smooth recovery :cheers:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks fellows for your words of encouragement and sympathy.  Yup, stuff happens but it usually does to "the other follow"  ;) I'm still trying to figure out how I miscalculated the location, other the blaming dyslexia  :P

Well, yesterday and today I was very busy making up new parts and cementing them in.  I made a completely new deck framing from boxwood and I bought a new sheet of 1 mm ply at the local hobby store for the deck and side panels.  I now have enough for the con as well.

I got as far as painting the inside of the deck torpedo compartment and glueing the deck plate on.  I also made the starboard side panel with the cut-out and fitted it.  It's also ready to be glued on.

Wow, I've been busy and even had some time to work on the VOC ship between glue curing times.  :dancetl6:

Below are a few pics of the progress so far.

post-1399-0-18647700-1395956626_thumb.jpg 

deck frame beams installed and the compartment has one coat of gray paint.  I did not put nails in yet, that'll come tomorrow before the side panels are installed.  I want to paint the underside of the new deck and deck beams first.  One never knows if people want to take a peek inside  ;)

post-1399-0-80231500-1395956658_thumb.jpg

This is looking towards the bow and you can see the torpedo assembly swivel plate with the copper tube to enable the assembly to rotate.  I'll also try to make the side doors but may keep one side open and the other side closed.

post-1399-0-43196800-1395956684_thumb.jpg

This is looking towards the stern and you can see that it's in need of a second coat of paint.

post-1399-0-86078700-1395956767_thumb.jpg

The starboard side panel is cut and fitted, ready to be glued on after the bottom the deck plate is painted.  Yeah, the are a few small pieces of ply chipped out but it'll be filled in and eventually covered with paper.  You can also see that the deck panel is glued on.

post-1399-0-75342800-1395956985_thumb.jpg

Here is the starboard side panel loosely attached.  It's a nice close fit.

Cheers  :cheers:

Edited by Piet

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hoi Peter,

Starts looking wonderful. I don't want to burst your bubble, but the deck torpedo tubes are longer than the boat is wide. This means that if you want to swivel the tubes both side panels had to be open... Here's a picture of O20 with her decktubes ready to launch.

post-3618-0-06559600-1375240210_thumb.jpg

According to the drawing (the one I'm 're-doing') the decktubes are between 92-93 and 103-104 meters from the aft of the boat. Is that then 'dividing by 50?  ^_^

Groetjes,

Gino

nice bit of progress Piet.........too bad that section can't be located to the port side,  and make another one for the starboard {just to make it easier......cut out the repair problem ;)     nice repair of the deck.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi Gino,

Correctomundo my friend.  I am quite well aware of the length of the torp tubes.  If I want to show one door closed then that also means that the launcher will not be swiveled out  ;)

I was contemplating of making the doors operable so I can demonstrate the rotation for launch position that's why I made the pivot point.  Perhaps too ambitious?  The doors hinge at the bottom and lay flat on the top of the pressure hull.  There is a longitudinal beam on the bottom where the side panel is fastened to.  The hinges can be mounted to them.  :)

It's getting more elaborate as I'm progressing with the build.

And yes, with the scale at 1:50 then we have to divide that number with 50.  According to the drawings you gave me and the ones I purchased through Remco the center of the launcher is at hull frame 98.  The "christmas tree" is also at that location at the center of the crew compartment.

@ Popeye:  Thank you for keeping track of my progress and foibles  ;)

The entire rework is now completed and I can go on with the below waterline external stuff at the stern.

NOTE: this post was edited by adding a picture Gino posted on page 15 - post #225.  Due to the disappearing of many photos, including Gino's, Ia m now adding this photo here.

post-1399-0-01321600-1395958677_thumb.jpg

Cheers, 

Edited by Piet

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Thank all of you for the many likes for both the VOC ship "Surabaya" and the O 19, really appreciate it.

The rework for the deck torpedo tubes is now completed except for some final trimming and I'm quite satisfied with the result.  I'll wait with making the torp launcher and the doors till later.  I really want to move on to the stern area and start with the props, rudder and diving planes.  I'll simulate the stern torpedo doors with paper.  

So then, for today's post I like to show all yuns how she looks as of this late afternoon.

post-1399-0-87757400-1375320649_thumb.jpg

This is a cloe-up of the completed rework on the port side.  I angled the camera up a bit so you can see the deck beams.  There is still a little trimming left to do but I was anxious to take a few pics  :)  

post-1399-0-04485900-1375320686_thumb.jpg

This is a 3/4 bow side view.  You can just see through the torp compartment.  

post-1399-0-68023700-1375320705_thumb.jpg

I had to take a stern view forward. ;)

post-1399-0-41985400-1375320744_thumb.jpg

This is a full profile shot.  It really shows the lines now, nice and sleek  :)

post-1399-0-54607100-1375320798_thumb.jpg

A bow view from slightly above on the port side.

post-1399-0-45167700-1375321127_thumb.jpg

Starboard bow view from slightly above.  It shows the deck pretty good with the raised side plates.

post-1399-0-48684300-1375321168_thumb.jpg

The admiral likes this bow shot and so do I  :)

Cheers,  :cheers:

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet,

Not only is this build impressive but I'm also enjoying following the research going on.  She is really coming together well.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello Piet,

Very good work indeed - excellent finish.

Any chance of having the torpedo tubes as well? They would look a wonder, and if I were you, I would do fix in place at an angle of some 55deg. to the side. That would really highlight the detail; and with some oil washes and weathering, the result would be stunning.

I am experimenting with oils washes at the moment - still on the learning curve, but the electrical panels in the bridge shall look true and realistic.

I only saw the photos in your thread, but if any welding processes were used, I would reproduce the weld lines by using copper wire.

Cheers

Current Build:

1:72nd German WWII Heavy Battle Cruiser DKM Scharnhorst http://modelshipworld...1:72ndDKMScharnhorst/

Future Build Logs:

Piet,

I agree with Mark. Even without the model construction detail this is a fascinating and instructive log. The information on the prototype that you have published, along with other info that your postings pull in are very interesting. Previously I thought that I knew a fair bit about submarines - I now know that I was wrong in that belief!   :) 

Ian M.

Current build: HMS Unicorn  (1748) - Corel Kit

Advice from my Grandfather to me. The only people who don't make mistakes are those who stand back and watch. The trick is not to repeat the error. 

Thanks to all for your "like" indications, it means a lot to me and,

thanks to Mark, Anthony, Paul and Ian for visiting my shipyard! 

@ Paul:  Originally I had not planned on making a model of the deck torp launcher and showing it in situ and making rotatable.  However, as with my VOC ship, things have a habit of getting out of hand  ;)  So, a month or so ago I thought 'why not.'  I have a few pics of the launcher as was build by Wilton Feyenoord and just recently also a pic of a model from a fellow builder in the Netherlands.

So, the answer is yes, I'll make a model of the launcher assembly and place it on its rotation place.  I also need to make the two doors so they can operate.  That way I can open the doors and rotate the launcher into firing position.  

Weathering the boat with everything on it was not the plan - - - - right now.  I wanted to show the model as my father knew it brand new when he was assigned to be the quality control and safety officer back in 1938.  

That means very little weathering and nicks and scrapes.  I'm then also bound to put the teak deck strips on, which is a hellacious job at this scale, 1 mm strips!  :rolleyes:

Torpedoes?  Yes, I'll be making a few of them as well.

@ Ian:  To tell the truth I also don't know much about submarines.  My whole life has been in aviation on the technical side of it as well as flying them.  But I'm learning as I go along and I have a good teacher in Gino.  It doesn't mean that I'm totally devoid of any understanding of how they are build from an engineering point of view.  In general terms I do know but not the details.  There is not much difference in the design philosophy between aircraft and subs,  ;)

This afternoon when I wanted to use my bandsaw to work on the rudder mount the drive belt broke  :(

I immediately ordered a new one but it won't be in till the eighth  :o

I'll have to find some other projects to do and work some more on the VOC ship.  It's either that or laboriously work with hand tools like chisels and sand paper.  I need to taper 3 pieces of 1/4 inch wood of 3 inches square.  Hmmm, maybe not, too much like work and a chance to cut myself.

Okay, so minor setbacks are to be expected I guess, not the end of the world.

Below a few pics of the deck torpedo launcher.

post-1399-0-59887900-1375410623_thumb.jpg

This is a picture from a model of the deck torp launcher made by a Dutch modeler.

post-1399-0-52729900-1375410639_thumb.jpg

This is a photo made by the boat builder Wilton Feyenoord of the deck launch tubes.  

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet 

just caught up on your log again amazing just how fast we move on isnt it, lovely work, one moment i was reading about the dr visit, then onto the last shots of the tubes

all the best

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

must have been interesting to make the launcher..........nice bit of handiwork!  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey Kevin, thanks for dropping in.  Yes, we are moving along at a steady rate, oh I'd say about 9 knots.  Sometimes though we have to stop and reverse to correct a problem but things are moving ahead again 

Hoi Popeye, yes, it appears that the modeler in Holland made it all out of copper tubes and rods.  There is another Dutch modeler who made a large RC model of the K XVIII Dutch sub and he managed to fire dummy torps too!  btw, my dad also served on the K XVIII before his tropical tour ended in 1938.

Well, even with my band saw being out of commission I managed to find some other things to do on the O 19.  I made the outside doors for the deck torpedo area.  It's a start, I now need to reinforce the insides to achieve the proper shape and figure the hinges and where they go.  At least it'll keep me busy.

I also installed the bow trim plane center pivots.  It's just a wooden dowel and it'll have a brass pin as the pivot shaft going through it. 

Here are a few pics of the doors.

post-1399-0-90898200-1375572042_thumb.jpg

This is the door panel that closes the opening which is in this model the outer panel.  I'll have a slightly larger inner panel glued to it on the back side that fits against the inside of the deck side plates.  This inner plate makes the door stiffer and acts as a stop and assures a proper fit of the door, I hope.  I still have to add a few stiffeners on the inside.

post-1399-0-91693700-1375572066_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hello Piet,

Glad to hear that you shall be putting in the torpedo launching tubes. Wow, that's a whole lot of detailing. They look rather complicated. Just one advise. Since, they shall be fitted in a confined space, I strongly suggest that you apply some washes and highlighting, in order to get the effect of the detailing. Nothing of the extraordinary. Just keep it simple. The most important thing is the have the effect you wish - that is - the detailing stands out.

I quite agree with you, even with my Scharnhorst, I am not considering any weathering. Just oil washes, shading and highlighting, together with some dry brushing, to get the detail out.

Cheers

Current Build:

Future Build Logs:

Thank you all for the likes on my progress and thank you Paul, Adriaan, John and Boris for dropping in and your comments and questions.

@ Paul:  Re the appearance of the torp launcher I'll have to consult with my mentor Gino.  I think I could paint it a light grey with the plumbing in flat black.  I don't have my father to advice me on the build  :)  

Actually, the launcher will be able to rotate so we can see the thing and the details so it won't be hidden in a dark hole.  Of course the doors will be operable as well.

Thanks for the input and we'll certainly take it into consideration.

@ Boris:  Hmmmm, good question Boris, and I really don't have an answer to that one.  I only have a few photos of the K XVI if that's the same as the O 16.  None of the XVI pics I have show the deck tube opening so I can't tell.  I hope that Gino can shed some more light on this.  I used the drawings I have and calculated it to my scale 1:50.

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

how will the door operate........hinged at the bottoms?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hey Popeye, yes, they are hinged at the bottom and actuated hydraulically.  They lay flat with the top edge on the pressure hull.  The launcher rotates just over the doors.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Well, I have changed my mind again  :rolleyes:

I decided to make the trim vanes at the bow kinda workable, i.e. retractable and movable.  Originally I was just going to pin them to the side to a dummy shaft ( that's why there is a large hole in the side) but thought it would look better with a semi workable unit.   Kinda late in the process because I have to cut into two deck frames and add some wood for the actuators to pivot on.  I hope I can manage cutting the slots in the two deck frames without doing any damage to the side plates and make it work.

I need to stop thinking too much, all it does is gets me into trouble  ;)

Here are a few pics of what I'm doing.  My idea should work in theory so keep our fingers crossed.

post-1399-0-58801500-1375923470_thumb.jpg

Looking down into the small area where the pivots for the trim vanes will be located.  I had to remove a portion of the bow deck but that's not a problem.

post-1399-0-35149100-1375923493_thumb.jpg

Starboard side view of the slot and pivot shaft opening.  I'm engineering this on the fly so it still looks a little rough.

post-1399-0-11685400-1375923517_thumb.jpg

I have finished one of the vanes but may have to add another mm piece to it so I can contour the vanes and add the net/cable cutter to the leading edge.  Don't forget that everything will be covered with paper as the fake steel plates and then paint.

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet,

Thinking to much often leads to really cool things.  For a minute there, I thought you were going to say you figured out how to make the torpedo tubes actually fire...  :)   What you're doing looks very workable.  Love it!!!

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

to add what others have said...........that's why scratch building is so much fun........the add-ons and after thoughts!   of course it looks rough.........you'll show us the sense of it all when your finished!   you've got a great subject to do this to........your having fun......and that's what it's all about!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I 'think' the updates/new work you decided to do really adds to the build Piet; the semi-working vanes look great! Never too much thinking, just a mater of filtereing the good ideas from the bad - in this case the filter woirked just fine :)

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thank you fellows for your encouraging comments !  

Of course I'm having a ball here in my hot garage aka dockyard  ;)

This particular mod is double difficult because of the very limited space I have inside the deck structure.  There is a question I have about how much of the vanes are actually retracted into the deck structure.  The photos I have show a portion still sticking out the sides and that corroborates with the vanes I have made.  I have send this question and a few others to my friend and mentor Gino den Ridder.

In the meantime I did some quick math about the deck torpedo launcher, prepping for the build.  For 21 inch torpedoes I figured the ID to be 10.29 mm which should give me an OD of about 12 mm, maybe less.  I'm going to make them from card stock, which should only add 1 mm.  Good so far.  Then I measured the door openings and low and behold they are 12 mm.  Hmmmm, a little too tight because there are is a turn pad underneath the launcher and hinges for the closing doors on the tubes.

Well, it looks like I have to make the door opening at least 2 mm higher.  That means I have to shave 2 mm off the underside the deck beams and make new doors.  Are we having fun yet?   ;)

Of course I could just fake it and make the tubes a little smaller, right?  No one would know the difference  - - - - -  oooh, auch, auch, what was that?  Ah, I know, a few slaps on the back of my head.  That's what my father used to do when he wanted my attention or when I goofed up.  Okay, okay, I'll make the area under the deck a little larger pappa to accommodate the launcher at it's scale size  :)

Never a dull moment.  Not thinking ahead  :(

At least my bandsaw is back on line and have made some pieces for the rudder frame / keel.  sorry, no pic - - - forgot - - -  didn't think about it  ;)

Cheers, 

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra