Le Mirage by Sjors - FINISHED - Corel - Wood - 1:75

Augie,

I was looking at the build and I thought….hey there is an other side…….

Whoopi, twice as much ratlines…...

@ Daniel,

You are so right!

But not only me but I think everybody is going somewhere and a lot of people don't know where it ends….

When I'm driving in my bus, I know where the end is……….where the coffee is waiting for me  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Thanks for the kind words 

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Sjors,

Nice portside pics.  And I am impressed that your gunport hatches operate.... :)

Since I am the first one awake, I always make the coffee at our house! :D   

Cheers,

Jim

:cheers:

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Sjors,

Nice portside pics. And I am impressed that your gunport hatches operate.... :)

Since I am the first one awake, I always make the coffee at our house! :D

Cheers,

Jim

Thanks Jim,

The plans are saying that I have to make the lids operate…..

Who am I then not to do it?

Most of the time, when I have the early shift, I'm the first who get out of the bed.

Otherwise the first who is downstairs ( me )

Hi Sjors,

I just went through your log... Your Mirage is a very nice model, well done! B)  May I join your fan club and have a bit of popcorn?

PS: I'm afraid I've never done ratlines yet so... I can't offer help here, sorry...

Padeen (Adeline)

"When there is a will, there is a way"

Completed build: Le Camaret - Constructo - static wood 1:35  (build log, gallery)

Current build (very limited modelling time at the moment...): HMS Fly - Amati/Victory Models - static wood 1:64 (build log)

Projected build: HMS Victory - Chris Watton's design - static wood 1:64 (when available..., no rush!)

Hi Padeen ( or Adeline, just what you want)

You are more then welcome.

Attention all other viewers, make a little space for Adeline please.

And Mark? will you be so kind to get Adeline a bag of popcorn?

Drinks are also available if you want some…..

And thanks for your kind words!

And about the ratlines….no worries, I have hired some gnomes to do that!

Nice rigging Sjors, it makes the ship so much more impressive,

regards,

John

<span style='font-family: courier new'>In progress: <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/177-king-of-the-mississippi-artesania-latina-scale-180/'>King of the Mississippi</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Completed : <a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/176-mare-nostrum-4331-artesania-latina-scale-135/'>Mare Nostrum 4331</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/51-16th-century-galeass-imai-scale-1160/'>16th century Galeass</a></span><br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'><a class='bbc_url' href='http://members.upc.nl/carla.en.john/Modelbouw/Rocket.htm'>George Stephenson Rocket Locomotive</a></span><br />

<br />

<span style='font-family: courier new'>Next build : sl Louise</span>

Sjors,

Excellent progress. And you're still having fun... I like that.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

AH, I see. I thought the gunports were glued in place. As they have rigged lines I didn't think you could close them, so you open them up against the hull, Very Nice. That would save me rerigging gunports, I know since I'm all thumbs and elbows and half blind I'd be refixing them if they couldnt be moved..

nice job on the port side Sjors........she really looks super!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Garward,

Thank you for your comment.

I know that it is not the way as it should be.

There are more things that are not accurate on The Mirage.

Maybe that's why the the ship is named Le Mirage or Fantom.

I'm not going to change the chainplate.

If I remove it, I will damage more then I want.

And besides, the ropes will then run in front of the canons.

The drawings from Corel are terrible.  No measurements at all.

You have to look very carefully where everything has to go, by looking how it should be done according to that particular picture.

My ship is not a museum piece but a hobby!

For me, she doesn't have to be historically accurate, because may she didn't even exists.

I'll just do it the way I think is right according to the pictures in the plans.

And I like it how she looks at the moment.

Again, thanks for your comment but I will leave it this way.

Hello, Sjors!

I apologize for a little overdue answer, there were urgent affairs. 
Both in any matter, and in shipbuilding, there are fundamental basic principles and rules. That I wrote about the correct arrangement of shroud plate and shroud just belongs to such rules. These rules for the sailing ships (regardless of the name - Le Mirage or Fantom or somehow differently :) ) are described in many books about construction of the ships and models. How to arrive in such cases - to follow the established rules or to repeat errors of drawings from kits (and these mistakes, as it is known to all modellers, there is a lot of :o  - producers of kits try to do models simpler and in bigger quantity) is a natural right and a choice the modeller, here to him nobody can specify.  If you like to build Le Mirage according to drawings of a kit -  it is your choice and your solution which nobody proposes you to change.
Edited by Garward

Best regards,

Garward

Is under construction Montanes

Ready models Golden Star Corsair San Francisco II

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron

Bronze 24-pdr canone Le Fleuron (second version)

Hi Garward,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm glad that your are back and I accept your apology.

Let us just leave this behind us and get back to the build.

Danny showed me a picture how it should be and yes, it is a big difference with what I have done.

The chains on my Mirage are soldered at the end and in there they made a tiny hole to attach the chain to the hull.

When I cut the chains shorter, I see no way to attach them to the hull.

I wanted to change it but I didn't know how, for me this was the only way. That's why I left it the way it is now.

Thanks again for your reply.

Sjors

Hi, Sjors! 

Ask more questions, much better everything with started specifying and planning, than then to puzzle how to correct. I too was in such situations when already there was late something to correct :) . The Greek philosopher Socrates spoke "Isn't shame something not to know. It is a shame not to want to study" and it is the good principle to which I always follow, and not only in construction of models :D .

Best regards,

Garward

I think that you'll find these little discrepancies in every kit.   it's all in whether or not you see them right away,  and whether or not the problem is dealt with,  if discovered early enough.  believe me.......I'm the first one to say that.   it's in our quest to create that 'jaw-dropping'   build..........so many are 'there'.........and...so many are not far behind.   I'm even sure that a lot of you have undertaken a kit that exceeds your expertise level......I know I've got one going.  but this is expected of us,  if not,  encouraged.  it's how we will expand our knowledge,  as we venture in the quest.   I enjoy what I see.........I see learning........I see technique.......I see what will shape up,  to be his or her masterpiece.   may not be this one........but keep watching.....the duckling....WILL become a swan :)    Keep up the good work Sjors..........things may not come out the way you want them........but it's still an empressive build.   superb! ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I think that you'll find these little discrepancies in every kit.   it's all in whether or not you see them right away,  and whether or not the problem is dealt with,  if discovered early enough.  believe me.......I'm the first one to say that.   it's in our quest to create that 'jaw-dropping'   build..........so many are 'there'.........and...so many are not far behind.   I'm even sure that a lot of you have undertaken a kit that exceeds your expertise level......I know I've got one going.  but this is expected of us,  if not,  encouraged.  it's how we will expand our knowledge,  as we venture in the quest.   I enjoy what I see.........I see learning........I see technique.......I see what will shape up,  to be his or her masterpiece.   may not be this one........but keep watching.....the duckling....WILL become a swan :)    Keep up the good work Sjors..........things may not come out the way you want them........but it's still an empressive build.   superb! ;)

To put it briefly, let's build models, colleagues modellers!  :D 

Best regards,

Garward

Hi, Sjors! 

Ask more questions, much better everything with started specifying and planning, than then to puzzle how to correct. I too was in such situations when already there was late something to correct :) . The Greek philosopher Socrates spoke "Isn't shame something not to know. It is a shame not to want to study" and it is the good principle to which I always follow, and not only in construction of models :D .

Morning Garward,

I know that i have to ask more questions but I think I'm a real man…..

It's the as you have a new technical thing.

First try everything before you read the manual.

I know that I have to look forward but when you start building ,at this kit, you don't must start with page one of the drawings but page 17…...

They only tells you to glue part a to part B.

Why give you measurements?

See what you like and put it there.

You want to build this kit…...

When I get back to the San Ildefonso, I know I have a lot of questions for you!

So be prepared…...

name-graphics-sjors-328505.gif

Hi Garward……I'm not  :D

Still working on the shrouds of the main mast.

name-graphics-sjors-328505.gif

Very well, will be about what to talk, without waiting San Ildefonso!  :D

Best regards,

Garward

I found something out again…..

I hate those drawings from Corel.

The next thing happened….

I was looking at the drawing and see the shrouds going on the lower part of the main mast.

Then in the middle of the main mast there is also shrouds, but no holes to put the deadeyes in.

And on top of that there are also coming shrouds and yes….no place to put in the deadeyes!

I have to drill holes ( I think ) into the cross beams.

I hope that that is correct…...

This build really gives me an headache …..

But i shall finished her!

I wrote that will be about what to talk :) ! More safely forward, Sjors, you will find more many interesting Corel in drawings :o .

Best regards,

Garward

Sjors, you got the answer. You need to drill holes in the cross-trees for the deadeyes. On your San Ildefonso, look ahead at the rigging drawings. I'll bet you'll have to drill holes there also. If you can, drill them before you put them on the masts.

I hope you had a nice day off to watch the Coronation.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I found something out again…..

I hate those drawings from Corel.

The next thing happened….

I was looking at the drawing and see the shrouds going on the lower part of the main mast.

Then in the middle of the main mast there is also shrouds, but no holes to put the deadeyes in.

And on top of that there are also coming shrouds and yes….no place to put in the deadeyes!

I have to drill holes ( I think ) into the cross beams.

I hope that that is correct…...

This build really gives me an headache …..

But i shall finished her!

Hi Sjors,

Don't panic just yet - I still have the plans for Mirage, and the model :) . I'll take a look when I get home later today. I'm pretty sure my plans are different to yours, maybe an older Corel kit, but they WORKED :D .

:cheers: Danny

Cheers, Danny

________________________________________________________________________________
Current Build :    Forced Retirement from Modelling due to Health Issues

Build Logs :   Norfolk Sloop  HMS Vulture - (TFFM)  HMS Vulture Cross-section  18 foot Cutter    Concord Stagecoach   18th Century Longboat in a BOTTLE 

CARD Model Build Logs :   Mosel   Sydney Opera House (Schreiber-Bogen)   WWII Mk. IX Spitfire (Halinski)  Rolls Royce Merlin Engine  Cape Byron Lighthouse (HMV)       Stug 40 (Halinski)    Yamaha MT-01   Yamaha YA-1  HMS Hood (Halinski)  Bismarck (GPM)  IJN Amatsukaze 1940 Destroyer (Halinski)   HMVS Cerberus   Mi24D Hind (Halinski)  Bulgar Steam Locomotive - (ModelikTanker and Beer Wagons (Modelik)  Flat Bed Wagon (Modelik)  Peterbuilt Semi Trailer  Fender Guitar  

Restorations for Others :  King of the Mississippi  HMS Victory
Gallery : Norfolk Sloop,   HMAT Supply,   HMS Bounty,   HMS Victory,   Charles W. Morgan,   18' Cutter for HMS Vulture,   HMS Vulture,  HMS Vulture Cross-section,             18th Century Longboat in a Bottle 

Other Previous Builds : Le Mirage, Norske Love, King of the Mississippi

Sjors, you got the answer. You need to drill holes in the cross-trees for the deadeyes. On your San Ildefonso, look ahead at the rigging drawings. I'll bet you'll have to drill holes there also. If you can, drill them before you put them on the masts.

I hope you had a nice day off to watch the Coronation.

Hi my friend :D ,

I have take a look at the drawings of the SI and they have only ratlines at the lower mast and middle mast, above that there are only shrouds…...

To late with your advice….I have to see how I get the holes in it now.

The coronation was just great.

Hi Sjors,

Don't panic just yet - I still have the plans for Mirage, and the model :) . I'll take a look when I get home later today. I'm pretty sure my plans are different to yours, maybe an older Corel kit, but they WORKED :D .

:cheers: Danny

Hi Danny,

I'm not in panic….( yet )

Still have to do all the shrouds at the lower mast.

So take your time to take a look for me.

Thanks in advance ( learn a new word :D:D:D ?

I think I write an E-Mail to Corel to ask if the guy that makes the drawings are drinking at that time…...

Sjors,

You are my daily entertainment.... :)   Even if you are not posting pictures, you keep things interesting... :dancetl6:

Cheers,

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Hi Jim,

I was surprised that Adeline ( Padeen ) ask me if she can join the fan club…..

You are the second one who's starting the day with a smile because of something I said.

So be my guest and join my fan club  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

And I can post pictures, no problem at all, but that has nothing to do with building…….

Then i get a warning from one of those Moderator things, and one of those I live together with…….

So i have to be careful…….there is already a sign in the house that is saying….WARNING POINTS!

I don't know what she is meaning by that.

Do you know that?

A few pictures to keep everyone satisfied :)

The first 2 deadeyes on the main mast are in place…..

A few more to do.

You can go further…...

post-48-0-31005300-1367428665_thumb.jpg

post-48-0-73746600-1367428669_thumb.jpg

post-48-0-38185100-1367428676_thumb.jpg